Oh really? So, which do you consider to be the traditional, “confessional Protestant churches?” I will grant you Lutherans. However, Calvinists (Presbyterians), Anglicans, Anabaptists, and Swiss Reformed were all products of division occurring due to the Reformation. Do all five of these agree on their confessions on justification?
I said all traditional
confessional churches. If I remember correctly Anabaptists are not confessional, but the rest of the above are and a number more denominations such as Reformed Baptists who hold to the London Baptist Confession of 1689, CRC and URC denominations which hold to the 3 Forms of Unity.
You’ll have a tough time arguing this in the affirmative for the Anabaptists most especially. If you intend to make such statements though, please provide links for the confession of each denomination mentioned.
If you and Dave are going to make the charges then you should at least be familiar with what you are attempting to critique. You can easily use google to verify it.
And btw, don’t write Dave off just because he has put you on the hot seat.
The hot seat is the last thing Dave has put me on. Dave has been so far off base and that is why I’m about to write him off. My time is limited and I’m not about to waste it on someone who is not even the ballpark with his comments. Every post of his so far has had some statement in it that was way off the mark. His misrepresentation of what I have said has been way off the mark. For example, here is what he said about my quoting Chrysostom:
"Dave:
However, if you think you’ve convinced anybody here by your assertions that St. John Chrysostom was some kind of Proto-Protestant who taught Protestant soteriology, then you’ve failed. The apologists who rip the early fathers out of context often do.
As I pointed out to him in the reply he totally misrepresented me. Furthermore, his last sentence has no merit. It rallies the home team, but he had done nothing to prove this. I responded to the four or five quotes he provided from Chrysostom that he provided.
Dave has made good points so far.
Yeah? Which ones?
Education has nothing to do with it.
In fact, he is one of the best apologists on this site, Protestants included.
Maybe so. I’ve only posted on 3 threads and interacted with a small subset of the people so I can’t say for sure.
For you to act like he is merely “firing up the home team” is both uncharitable and untrue.
No, it is true. There are certain buzz words and phrases that Catholics use to rally the home team. I’ve dialogue and read enough on the internet to learn this. His statement about “rip the fathers out of context” is one of those statements. It is like dumping chum in a pool full of sharks.
I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I’m not going to waste my time on what I’ve seen so far.
We have had a great dialogue to this point. You have kept it very positive despite disagreeing.
And I thought Dave was another candidate. I was willing to forgive his first two post, but it is starting to seem like a pattern to me.
Why did you turn on Dave so fast? You are a solid Christian man. Nobody is questioning that. But the fact that we disagree with your theology does not make us unworthy to discuss why. Fair enough?
Time is limited. You and Michael keep me busy enough. Occasionally I may respond to other posters, but I’m not going to spend significant time on someone who is not making reasonable posts. Those who constantly parrot out talking points and greatly misinterpret my posts demonstrate they are not about a serious dialogue. Like I said, I hadn’t written Dave completely off, but it was moving in that direction. If he shows me that he is capable of serious and honest dialogue then I will gladly engage him.