Hey, I like this one. I just don’t like that you call it “progressive justification” and therefore make justification a process instead of completed event. It is sanctification that is a process, but all in all your description is nice, real nice.
Good. However, Catholics don’t view progressive justification the same as they do sanctification. We do believe they continue to happen simultaneously, but you don’t confuse the two. I would ask that you read this link I will provide and respond to it. Thanks in advance.
ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/RIGHTEOU.htm
1 John 4:13
We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
My response is simple. In no way does John say “know” as if it is a “metaphysical certainty.” He uses it in the sense of a “moral certainty.” An example of this would be studying for a test. I can study extremely hard, and be extremely confident that I am going to get an “A.” Heck, I might even tell someone, “I studied so hard, I just know I’m going to get an A on this test.” Yet, while the fact that I studied certainly gives me every reason to believe and be confident that I will get an “A,” it does not guarantee it.
Furthermore, Paul stated elsewhere, “I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts” (1 Cor 4:3-5).
Thus, it does not appear to me that Paul believes we can have any metaphysical certainty (or absolute assurance). With this verse and dozens of other ones like it, I try to read verses like 1 Jn 4 in the context of the whole of the Scriptures. I cannot reconcile a metaphysical certainty to these, but I can reconcile “knowing” as a moral certainty.
Paul states “My conscience is clear.” In other words, Paul believes he has done confessed all sin and is in good standing, yet states, “but that does not make me innocent.” Thus, just because we think we are in good standing, and even have confidence to believe so, does not make it an absolute certainty. To believe otherwise is the sin of presumption.
If grace is truly to be gratuitous, there is nothing we can “do” (including an altar call) that can absolutely guarantee our salvation. For as Paul points out, “He (God) will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts.” And since “The
heart is
deceitful above all things and beyond cure,” God is the only one who can “know” with absolute certainty.
My faith is not perfect and neither is your’s. We must ultimately trust in God’s mercy to accept our brokenness. Yet, the fact that we trust in God to have mercy shows their is not an ABSOLUTE assurance, for God will be merciful to those who SHOW MERCY.
Hmmm … what question am I begging?.
In stating that this is Abraham’s “only real justification” you assume the very thing you’re trying to prove. The reality is that even if I were to concede that Rom 4 was Abraham’s initial justification, that does not prove that it was the only time he was justified, as James makes very clear in his 2nd chapter.
Thus, in reading Rom 4, and citing it for your position, you ASSUME that it can be his only real justification, because your theology mandates it. That is called begging the question. And that is why you end up having to explain away passages in James that couldn’t be any clearer. All the same, I think you have done an excellent job of putting forth the best of the Protestant position. Thank you.
Justification and sanctification are distinct things. Catholicism denies this and because of that no one can be assured of their justification, because it turns into sanctification.
SS, I appreciate your response. I think your explanation is reasonable after reading it. I just don’t agree with it, because I also believe that that is one of two reasonable explanations of the Scriptures in question. And since I believe there are other Scriptures that support my explanation and contradict your’s, although reasonable, I believe the Catholic view is ultimately the correct Biblical view of justification and sanctification.
BTW, what do you do with this verse?
“But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” (1 Cor 6:11). This verse does not seem to support that justification occurs, and then sanctification takes over. How do you respond?