Nothing to something

• Thread starter Thread starter STT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, nope, nope. A vacuum is still something in the created universe. It is not the “absence of the physical dimension”, but merely the absence of matter within the existing physical dimension.
I showed that time exist in absence of anything else. Therefore, Aristotle was wrong on this take. Creation is another topic.
Yes. That doesn’t mean that the soul disappears when the body dies.
Yes, I know. Soul/form is just there as the form of corpse.
It does not have an animating principle. And, it is in the process of decay, and become merely other things.
Great. The soul/form doesn’t have an animating principle when the person dies.

I showed that time exist in absence of anything else.
As I recall, you claimed it, but didn’t provide a convincing argument for the claim.
Yes, I know. Soul/form is just there as the form of corpse.
No. The soul is not the form of a dead corpse.
The soul/form doesn’t have an animating principle when the person dies.
The soul is the animating principle of the body. It’s the corpse that doesn’t have an animating principle when the body dies.

As I recall, you claimed it, but didn’t provide a convincing argument for the claim.
Please read the wiki link.
No. The soul is not the form of a dead corpse.
So, what is the form of dead corpse?
The soul is the animating principle of the body. It’s the corpse that doesn’t have an animating principle when the body dies.
I know that. You just don’t read what I wrote carefully.

Please read the wiki link.
I did. A vacuum is not “the absence of the spacetime dimension”, but merely the absence of material within the dimension.
So, what is the form of dead corpse?
Again: it has no animating principle; it has no soul; it has no form, as such.
You just don’t read what I wrote carefully.
🤷‍♂️
It seems more to me that I’m reading what you don’t write carefully…
🤷‍♂️

I did. A vacuum is not “the absence of the spacetime dimension”, but merely the absence of material within the dimension.
That is what you said “However, time requires motion which requires things that are in motion. So, without things, there’s no motion, and therefore, no time.”

Einstein showed that Aristotle is wrong.
Again: it has no animating principle; it has no soul; it has no form, as such.
So where is the soul if it is not the form of corpse?
It seems more to me that I’m reading what you don’t write carefully…
I know what you wrote but that was not an answer to what I wrote.

Einstein showed that Aristotle is wrong.
Says you. 🤷‍♂️
So where is the soul if it is not the form of corpse?
Souls are spiritual, not physical. They do not have the property of “physical location”.

They continue to exist, even when the body dies. (It’s not like they “go” anywhere, since they don’t have physical extension.)
I know what you wrote but that was not an answer to what I wrote.
I clarified what you mis-stated.

Souls are spiritual, not physical. They do not have the property of “physical location”.

They continue to exist, even when the body dies. (It’s not like they “go” anywhere, since they don’t have physical extension.)
Isn’t soul the form of body?

Was that an answer to my question?
Yes. You were seemingly referring to a ‘corpse’ as if it were a human body. It’s not. It used to be a human body, but is no longer one.

Therefore, asking “what’s the form (or soul) of a corpse?” is incomprehensible.

On the other hand, if you’re thinking of ‘form’ merely as ‘outline’ or ‘shape’, then you’re not thinking of a soul, since it’s neither of those.

Aristotle would reply that time is a measure of change; if you don’t have the “stuff” that changes, then you don’t have a measure for change. Therefore, motion is prior.
So, another question, as this genuinly an area of confusion to me; if motion is ontologically prior to time, then without motion there is no time, yes? If so, could we also say that without physical objects of given dimensions there would be no space either? But that be the case, space would be merely a measurement of what has physical properties rather than a dimension by which physical entities reside in. But, when we construct a coordinate plane, we can have it empty, yet nonetheless there is space there (for we can count length without anything of length residing on it). As such, what would you say to this?
Nothing can be an exception.
What would be your reasoning to deny such? Is it because the principle of causality in reference to existence must be universal?
What does happen for the form when the body is eaten by other beings and become a part of their body?
If I am not mistaken, Aristotle said that the form of “human body” (if a human body were consumed) assimilates into the form of the consumer, such as a lion. As such, the bodily human form becomes the bodily lion form.

Last edited:
40.png
Gorgias:
I know. We’ve seen it. And dissected it. It’s kinda unconvincing. 🤷‍♂️
So, perhaps @quaestio45 can help you.
Well this all depends very heavily on what we agree time is. If time is a dimension of change which is ontologically prior to motion, then I must agree with @STT. If time is instead what @Gorgias says, which, if I’m correct, its that time is more of a measurement of change and as such ontologically subsequent to motion, then I must agree with Gorgias. I just need more argument or justification to fall into one category over the other (though I must admit, I see time more as a dimension to reside in rather than a measurement).

So, another question, as this genuinly an area of confusion to me; if motion is ontologically prior to time, then without motion there is no time, yes?
It’s really shorthand of a sort. The classical, Aristotelian definition is that time is the measure of change in physical objects. “Change” and “motion” are used interchangeably in that context. So, it’s more the case that, without the change of physical objects, there’s no “measure of the change of physical objects”. And, moreover, without the existence of any physical object, again there’s no “measure of the change of physical objects.” So, without a universe, there’s no ‘time’.
If so, could we also say that without physical objects of given dimensions there would be no space either?
No. Space exists. It has extension. We could measure the universe, even if it were devoid of any physical objects, right? (In fact, I would think that we assert that forces would exist, and also quantum particles, so you never really get to a universe devoid of everything.). So, we would always think that, where there’s a universe, there’s ‘time’ as such.
I must admit, I see time more as a dimension to reside in rather than a measurement
I think it’s a perception issue. Calling it a ‘dimension’ helps with the math, but it doesn’t change what time itself is – a means of measuring something that’s somewhat orthogonal to physical objects, per se.

Therefore, asking “what’s the form (or soul) of a corpse?” is incomprehensible.
Does anything in nature is made of a substance and has a form according to Aristotle?
On the other hand, if you’re thinking of ‘form’ merely as ‘outline’ or ‘shape’, then you’re not thinking of a soul, since it’s neither of those.
What is form?

Well this all depends very heavily on what we agree time is. If time is a dimension of change which is ontologically prior to motion, then I must agree with @STT. If time is instead what @Gorgias says, which, if I’m correct, its that time is more of a measurement of change and as such ontologically subsequent to motion, then I must agree with Gorgias. I just need more argument or justification to fall into one category over the other (though I must admit, I see time more as a dimension to reside in rather than a measurement).
According to Einstein time could exist even if there is no such a thing as object and motion. I already discuss that in depth with Gorgias.

What would be your reasoning to deny such? Is it because the principle of causality in reference to existence must be universal?
Principle of causality apparently applies to material entities. This is basically the first law of Newton which states that an object which is not in motion stay motionless unless a force applies to it. Nothing however is not a material entity so I don’t see any reason to support that a mover is needed to bring something out of nothing, of course I am talking about the case that nothing to something is possible process.
If I am not mistaken, Aristotle said that the form of “human body” (if a human body were consumed) assimilates into the form of the consumer, such as a lion. As such, the bodily human form becomes the bodily lion form.
I agree with this considering the definition of form.

According to Einstein time could exist even if there is no such a thing as object and motion. I already discuss that in depth with Gorgias.
sigh. You would still have the physical universe, with all its forces (which are, after all, convertible to matter, right?). Therefore, you do have what is necessary for time, and do not have a situation where there’s “time but no such thing as object and motion.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back