Notre Dame discriminates against Catholics?

• Thread starter Thread starter irish80122
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

irish80122

This was reported in the Irish Rover today. For students in several Film, Television and Theatre classes (at least those being taught by Emily Phillips, I am in one of them) the students are required to go and see the Vagina Monologues. Several students have moral issues with this, including myself, which prompted me to walk in, get a program, and walk right back out. Yet, there was one freshman who stood up and said he would not go to the performance for moral reasons. Now one would assume that at Notre Dame the dean of his college would be supportive of him and his morals, but no, Dean Mark Roche (the same dean who wrote in the New York Times about how Catholics should support Kerry, not that that is related but just so you know) assigned the student an eight page single spaced essay about the monologues. For those who attended, however, all they have to do is an in-class discussion of the monologues. Now maybe it is just me but it sounds like this freshman is being discriminated against due to his morals AT NOTRE DAME! If you look at my other posts you know I am very pro-Notre Dame; I go here and I love it here. I hate some of the things the administration does, however, and I see us sliding too far to the left.

Anyways, the student has decided not to write the paper and instead to take a 0 on the assignment as a matter of principle. The Irish Rover (which I should specify is a conservative student newspaper on campus) is urging those who wish to support his cause email them at irishrovernd@yahoo.com. I encourage you to write and tell them that you support this student who should have the right to not be discriminated against because of his faith anywhere, but especially at Notre Dame!

I think you need to call Bill Donahue:mad: You nor anyone else should be forced to go to something that is morally deplorable.That is terrible.

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
I think you need to call Bill Donahue:mad: You nor anyone else should be forced to go to something that is morally deplorable.That is terrible.
I second this. Write to The Catholic League and let them know about this insanity. They live for smacking down this kind of nonsense.

40.png
ktm:
I second this. Write to The Catholic League and let them know about this insanity. They live for smacking down this kind of nonsense.
Thirded. It’s time to start firing some warning shots over the bow of the ship of certain Catholic universities.

Scott

40.png
ktm:
Submitted to The Catholic League. I hope they can do something, ND is getting way to comfortable with being liberal, especially with the FTT department (who sponsor not only the V Monologues but also the Queer Film Festival).

40.png
irish80122:
Submitted to The Catholic League. I hope they can do something, ND is getting way to comfortable with being liberal, especially with the FTT department (who sponsor not only the V Monologues but also the Queer Film Festival).
Excellent. Keep us posted on the progress.

Scott

40.png
irish80122:
Please keep us informed,this is inexcusable behavior for a so called Catholic College.God Bless

Also, find a way to alert the Alumni. Maybe they are on the mailing list for the paper

Get Regis Philbin into action 🙂

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
Is that the same Bill Donahue who is supporting the Bishop of Orange County on the matter of the children of two gay parents sending their children to a Catholic school?

40.png
katherine2:
Is that the same Bill Donahue who is supporting the Bishop of Orange County on the matter of the children of two gay parents sending their children to a Catholic school?
Yes supporting the kids! Not the flaunting parents who used the kids to push their agenda!

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
Yes supporting the kids! Not the flaunting parents who used the kids to push their agenda!
I don’t beleieve Mr. Donahue has said a word against the parents. He comments were limited to criticism of the small group of parents protesting the school principal, priest, abbot, and bishop.

40.png
katherine2:
I don’t beleieve Mr. Donahue has said a word against the parents. He comments were limited to criticism of the small group of parents protesting the school principal, priest, abbot, and bishop.
Don’t hijack the thread,start another one on that topic.

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
Don’t hijack the thread,start another one on that topic.
Withdraw your comment about Donahue and I will move on, Lisa.

40.png
katherine2:
Withdraw your comment about Donahue and I will move on, Lisa.
He said the kids shouldn’t be kicked out because of the sins of the parents.

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
He said the kids shouldn’t be kicked out because of the sins of the parents.
…and that the protester were out of line.

40.png
irish80122:
This was reported in the Irish Rover today. For students in several Film, Television and Theatre classes (at least those being taught by Emily Phillips, I am in one of them) the students are required to go and see the Vagina Monologues. Several students have moral issues with this, including myself, which prompted me to walk in, get a program, and walk right back out. Yet, there was one freshman who stood up and said he would not go to the performance for moral reasons. Now one would assume that at Notre Dame the dean of his college would be supportive of him and his morals, but no, Dean Mark Roche (the same dean who wrote in the New York Times about how Catholics should support Kerry, not that that is related but just so you know) assigned the student an eight page single spaced essay about the monologues. For those who attended, however, all they have to do is an in-class discussion of the monologues. Now maybe it is just me but it sounds like this freshman is being discriminated against due to his morals AT NOTRE DAME! If you look at my other posts you know I am very pro-Notre Dame; I go here and I love it here. I hate some of the things the administration does, however, and I see us sliding too far to the left.

Anyways, the student has decided not to write the paper and instead to take a 0 on the assignment as a matter of principle. The Irish Rover (which I should specify is a conservative student newspaper on campus) is urging those who wish to support his cause email them at irishrovernd@yahoo.com. I encourage you to write and tell them that you support this student who should have the right to not be discriminated against because of his faith anywhere, but especially at Notre Dame!
This is absolutely sick, you not only have to write to William Donohue of the Catholic League here catholicleague.org/ But more importantly to Bishop John M. D’Arcy of the Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend here diocesefwsb.org/contact.htm and here is his position on this repugnant performance
diocesefwsb.org/COMMUNICATIONS/statements.htm

And here is a thread which was started on just this topic forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=40374 Sadly Notre Dame has not been a Catholic University in years, as much as it claims to be in writing. And I thank God you were not taken in by this performance, your folks must of raised you in the Catholic faith very well.👍

40.png
Catholic29:
This is absolutely sick, you not only have to write to William Donohue of the Catholic League here catholicleague.org/ But …
…when you do so, be sure to thank him for standing up for the pastor and principal at St. John the Baptist School in Orange County, CA.

40.png
katherine2:
…when you do so, be sure to thank him for standing up for the pastor and principal at St. John the Baptist School in Orange County, CA.
Start a thread Katherine:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back