Obama Administration Eyeing Gun Control 'Under the Radar,' Groups Warn

  • Thread starter Thread starter _Abyssinia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you are calling me crazy?
Yes, I am, if you are as insane as I was to be sitting in a damp, freezing blind before dawn waiting for the ducks to start to come down to feed on whatever was in the field. The ducks I got cost over a hundred dollars a pound! Is that insanity or what? šŸ˜‰
 
Yes, I am, if you are as insane as I was to be sitting in a damp, freezing blind before dawn waiting for the ducks to start to come down to feed on whatever was in the field. The ducks I got cost over a hundred dollars a pound! Is that insanity or what?
The geese I got cost about that in a corn field in twenty degree weather. Pheasant are a bargain. Only about $15 a pound if you get two in the ā€˜put ant take’ fields.
 
We’ll let them fondle our children, bully our state representatives, and run secret prisons in some far away land.

They’ve imprisoned entire categories of people and seized our gold.

The way I see it taking our guns would just complete the pattern.
 
We’ll let them fondle our children, bully our state representatives, and run secret prisons in some far away land.

They’ve imprisoned entire categories of people and seized our gold.

The way I see it taking our guns would just complete the pattern.
Whom are you talking about???
 
As far as I know he is not; favoring civil unions instead.

May we discuss the topic now?
If your evidence is that there is no reason to worry because Obama says so, then that is not very assuring.
You made the character of the man part of the topic, not me.
šŸ˜‰
 
Personally, I am for gun control, at least a slight amount of it. I guess you could say that I am always afraid that someone who could either be a criminal or potentially be a criminal would get a hold of a gun and use it in a bad way. So what I mean is that people who have a felony history definitely shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun but anyone else who is peaceful and doesn’t have a criminal history should be allowed to own a gun.
People who are going to commit criminal acts can always find a way to get a gun.

All that gun control does is keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

If I may make a suggestion: Google ā€œwomen and gunsā€

See what comes up.

Here is one thing:

womenshooters.com/TOC.html

My wife was never interested in guns until she became aware that having a gun and being able to shoot skillfully has become a feminist issue. Why have to depend on a man for protection? And the police are just going to be there to write up the police report after some home invader has already come and gone.

She also enjoys some, but not all, reality shows.

This one has her mesmerized:

history.com/shows/top-shot

It find it boring, but she wants me to watch it with her and she has a million detailed questions.

She also enjoys the character of ā€œFiona Glenanneā€ in the program ā€œBurn Noticeā€ … and in particular when she ā€œhandlesā€ that short shock shotgun in the promo clip (while wearing those high heels). Looks like a Mossberg ā€œHome Defenderā€.
 
Personally, I am for gun control, at least a slight amount of it. I guess you could say that I am always afraid that someone who could either be a criminal or potentially be a criminal would get a hold of a gun and use it in a bad way. So what I mean is that people who have a felony history definitely shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun but anyone else who is peaceful and doesn’t have a criminal history should be allowed to own a gun.
This was posted by ā€œSir Knightā€ on another related thread:

I refer you to John R. Lott’s book entitled "More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control ". Mr. Lott was originally anti-gun and started out to prove how dangerous guns were to our society and how they should be banned. However, the more research he did, the more he learned that the real-life facts showed that the more guns were readily available and not restricted, the LESS crime there was in reality. Mr. Lott personally analyzed data from all 3,054 counties in the United States during 18 years from 1977 to 1994 and discovered that communities with the strictest gun laws also had the highest violent crime rate over communities with more loose gun laws. Additionally, when communities loosen gun laws, their violent crime rate went DOWN while communities that tightened gun laws saw their violent crime rate go up. Analyzing over 3,000 counties, he did not find one single exception to these observation causing him to recognize that more quns equates to less crime resulting him in changing his original opinion in this matter.

If you doubt his findings, I challenge you to pick up a copy of his book and disprove the facts that he presents as he lists all of his sources. His book may still be available for purchase, or, I’m sure that you can find it in most libraries. If you can’t disprove his facts, then why, as Christians, would we want to restrict gun ownership when doing so results in a more violent society?

 
If you can’t disprove his facts, then why, as Christians, would we want to restrict gun ownership when doing so results in a more violent society?
1, What has Christianity to do with it?
  1. Guns are fine to have - in one’s home. You can do what you want, but I believe that those who have a need to carry one in public (excepting policemen) suffer from more than a little paranoia. You don’t have to believe that; I’m not a psychologist, but it’s what I think.
 
1, What has Christianity to do with it?
  1. Guns are fine to have - in one’s home. You can do what you want, but I believe that those who have a need to carry one in public (excepting policemen) suffer from more than a little paranoia. You don’t have to believe that; I’m not a psychologist, but it’s what I think.
[Hey Rich, maybe I’m having a senior moment … where did I post that?]
 
Personally, I am for gun control, at least a slight amount of it. I guess you could say that I am always afraid that someone who could either be a criminal or potentially be a criminal would get a hold of a gun and use it in a bad way. So what I mean is that people who have a felony history definitely shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun but anyone else who is peaceful and doesn’t have a criminal history should be allowed to own a gun.
Holly, people who are convicted felons are not allowed to own a gun, but that does not mean that they don’t have them. This is like punishing the whole class of kids because someone did something bad. Only in this, no one rats out the one who is in the wrong.
 
Holly, people who are convicted felons are not allowed to own a gun, but that does not mean that they don’t have them…
You are correct, Mary, but why make it easy for them? I am in favor of background checks for all gun sales which would not prevent any law-abiding citizen from obtaining a gun.
 
John Lott’s findings have been refuted by several serious scholars. This does not stop folks from trotting him out, however.
The thing that struck me when I googled his name was the large number of parrot-like endorsements of his basic premises. Hmmm. Do that many people think almost exactly alike? So, I looked further and found the following that I recommend as a balance:

sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=John_Lott
 
1, What has Christianity to do with it?
  1. Guns are fine to have - in one’s home. You can do what you want, but I believe that those who have a need to carry one in public (excepting policemen) suffer from more than a little paranoia. You don’t have to believe that; I’m not a psychologist, but it’s what I think.
Only being able to have a gun in my home is going to make hunting kind of tough.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top