I never asserted or insissted that pictures be taken, I only said if a parent wants to then he or she could.
It is not preposterous to compare taking pictures of one’s child to reciting a Rosary if you understand the link that I am making. I’m not saying that these two thinks are extremely comparable, but I was making a point that just because your mind is not focused directly or totally on the Mass or Christ is not a bad thing. Like when we meditate on Mary, we don’t just remember the person of Mary, but the fact that she points to G-d. IN the same way, I was saying, this person’s daughter can point to G-d.
I also echo the double standard that it seems is being used for Papal Masses and Sunday Masses.
Furthermore there is no way that taking a picture of a child serving could be seen as more important than the one who is being served. After all, if someone took a picture of a Secret Service agent, one still remembers that the only reason that SS agent is there is because of the one he or she is serving… the President.
What I think the real issue is on this thread is that we are looking at the topic from two different angles. You are seeing it, if I understand you correctly and I might not be, is that it is something extra to the Mass that is therefore taking away from the Mass experiance for this parent and, therefore, from Christ. Whereas I’m saying that by taking a picture of the child the parent is honoring the child and, therefore, honoring Christ and the one that she is serving. Marc Shea points out in his 3rd volume of Mary, Mother of the Son that honor is not an all or nothing action.
So, again, I think we are simply approaching the issue at two different view points. I do agree with you, benedictgal, that if the parent’s mindset is not one of reverence, if the parent is obtrusive to those around her, and/or if the parent is doing it during the consecration then it would be inappropriate. However, I don’t see the parent taking those pictures with that mindset.