Old sci-fi movies - really bad ones!

  • Thread starter Thread starter svid2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

svid2

Guest
Pax Christi!

I’m watching The Day Mars Invaded Earth. Yes, it’s as bad as it sounds. Cheap effects, cheap writing, cheap everything.

I just missed watching The Alligator People. Darn!

What are your favorite bad old sci-fi flicks?

God bless.
 
Godzilla vs. Monster X. Also, Journey to the Core. Journey was really, really, really bad-however it had Peter Cushing!
 
Gamera The Invincible

Still need to finish my 50 Sci Fi Classics DVD
 
I love these kinds of movies, I liked ‘Legend of the Boggy creek beast’, it was an early 80s movie about bigfoot in the Texas/Arkansas area, the only place Ive seen it shown is on the old Mystery Science Theater 300, this was a show that showed very bad sci-fi movies and had 2 robots and a guy making hilarious comments thru out the movie…It was VERY funny!
 
Has anyone actually seen “Dracula vs. Billy the Kid”? I’ve heard about it but never seen it nor met anyone who has. The title alone makes me want to see it (just to say that I had seen it!)
 
Has anyone actually seen “Dracula vs. Billy the Kid”? I’ve heard about it but never seen it nor met anyone who has. The title alone makes me want to see it (just to say that I had seen it!)
I sure have! Many times! (Although you actually have the billing backwards - it’s “Billy the Kid Vs. Dracula.” It’s actually pretty sad that I know that.)

http://knoji.com/images/user/billythekidvsdraculaonesheet.jpg

It was frequently released with “Jesse James vs Frankenstein’s Daughter.”



I love old SF and horror movies, even the bad ones.

Want to see an interesting good one? Check out “Red Planet Mars” (1952) with Peter Graves. A scientist receives radio messages from Mars that tell us that their utopian society is based on the worship of (the Christian) God. The release of the information causes worldwide upheaval, and the Soviet Union collapses and the Orthodox Patriarch becomes the leader of the converted Russia. People all over the world return to church. (This is probably one of the few SciFi movies where Pope Pius XII appears (albeit in stock footage)) Economies collapse as people await the new technology the martians promise to send us. But the intrepid scientist learns that the radio messages may not be all they seem…

 
I love these kinds of movies, I liked ‘Legend of the Boggy creek beast’, it was an early 80s movie about bigfoot in the Texas/Arkansas area, the only place Ive seen it shown is on the old Mystery Science Theater 300, this was a show that showed very bad sci-fi movies and had 2 robots and a guy making hilarious comments thru out the movie…It was VERY funny!
I saw this also in the theater (it was originally released in 1972)…largely because of this iconically spooky poster:

http://bmoviefilmvault.com/radiatio...ent/uploads/2014/04/legend_of_boggy_creek.jpg

This was one of the most successful “four-waller” films of the 1970s. These were independently produced exploitation films (and pseudo-scientific documentaries) that were released outside the normal distribution system. The producers would rent local theaters and take all the profits, often sending the reels from town to town. Sun Classics was a company that specialized in 4-wallers, making big money on films like “Chariots of the Gods” and “In Search of Noah’s Ark.” “Grizzly Adams” was also originally a 4-waller. Tom Laughlin didn’t like the way Warner Brothers was promoting his film “Billy Jack,” so he pulled it from the studio and 4-walled it himself, which is where it made most of its profits.

The producers of “The Blair Witch Project” have said the docudrama feel of “Boggy Creek” was a big influence on their film.

“The Town That Dreaded Sundown” was a 4-waller documentary (with acted-out scenes) about a real unsolved serial killer in 1940s east Texas that really spooked me as a teen. It was made by the same people who made “Boggy Creek”. The Boggy Creek poster above and the “Sundown” poster were both done by Ralph McQuarrie, who would later become famous as the concept designer for Star Wars.

I was a big MST3K fan, too. Did you know Joel Hodges (first star and co-creator) is now a media consultant for a real commercial rocket company?
 
I just saw the Town That Dreaded Sundown in the past year. I had never heard of those murders before. It scared me.

I also remember seeing the Legend of Boggy Creek many years ago. It was good and scary too!

One of my favorite old sci fi flicks is THEM!

I also liked It Came from Outer Space.
 
I forgot to mention another really bad sci fi movie, ‘They Live’, it was early 90s, and the main character was some wrestler, I think roddy piper.? I laughed so hard during that movie, it was really bad, but in a good and funny way!
 
Actually, a truly awful sci-fi movie, but not in terms of cheesiness or bad dialog or production values was:

“The Cold Equations”

It is a travesty because it completely and utterly deviates from the core principle/idea/concept at the heat of the short story that it is based on. It is an absolute abomination in that respect and I hope every copy of it gets burned/destroyed.

If you haven’t read the original short story and like sci-fi, it is worth a read. Never, ever watch the movie. The short story may be available on line, I think it has passed out of copyright.
 
Actually most of the movies on the syfy channel are really bad.
They are bad in concept, script and casting.
I started watching sharknado 2 the other night.
Oh brother!
 
‘Atomic Rulers of the World’ (1965), was a true Japanese Sci-Fi gem. I haven’t seen it in many years, but there was a scene when the main characters were on a planet and the moon or other planet that was in the background was swinging slightly back and forth on its string. It does not get any better than that! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top