On Apology and insults

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThePuppyTurtle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThePuppyTurtle

Guest
Alright so a little less than a year ago a person, we shall call Kevin, uploaded a YouTube video which was an extremely personal attack on another man we’ll call Ted. Ted, in order to get the video off of YouTube, filed a false copyright infringement claim called a DMCA. Now Ted evidently thought it was a valid claim, but it wasn’t. I, thinking this act unacceptable, without watching the video, though having heard it was pretty mean, I mirrored the video (I uploaded it to my own channel.) I later watched it some time after It was DMCA’ed on my channel too. I saw it was pretty mean, but left it up, as well as the mediafire link for someone to download and mirror if they wanted to. Also in the ensuing scandal I insulted Ted too, pretty badly, 2ed worst ever that I recall (worst being the guy I told I wanted to die and be eaten by maggots). I later took all of the videos related to the scandal down,

I’ve since released a general apology to all persons I’ve insulted in arguments. In the description I’ve tacked on an apology to Ted as well, But the apology itself, may or may not technically include him, my personal suspicion being it does. (My video was a general apology to some Atheists, and all UFOists and Creationists, the latter category i suspect to include Ted, but am not in any way sure.)

But here’s my question, The apology in the description is not in the same medium, and is one much less likely to be seen, especially considering I changed the description to include Ted after the first and largest wave of views, my subscribers, had hit. So is the obligation to apologize in an “equally public” fashion met? (The description is publicly available, in a sense more so because the insulting videos were only public for some months while the apology will likely remain forever. Though I guess some mirrors of my videos will be around forever too, unless those persons who mirrored them abide my requests to take them down. But other mirrors of the ORIGINAL video, which exist possibly because of me, will be up forever.)

If Not, do I need to drag back out drama that occurred in September or late August-September of 2011?
 
I imagine you took this sin to Confession?
In view of the link above and your remorse, presumably you took this matter to the Confessional. If you explain all to the priest he is best placed to advise you.
We can only give opinions, and interpretations of the Catechism or gospel.

May God bless you for your efforts to redress the wrongs.
 
I imagine you took this sin to Confession?
In view of the link above and your remorse, presumably you took this matter to the Confessional. If you explain all to the priest he is best placed to advise you.
We can only give opinions, and interpretations of the Catechism or gospel.

May God bless you for your efforts to redress the wrongs.
I’m a convert, haven’t my first confession yet, starting RCIA soon.
 
Welcome. 🙂
I guess back then you didn’t have a true Christian sense of what you did.
If you honestly believe you’ve done all you can, then I imagine you have prayed that God will supply whatever it is needed to give restitution and blessing to anyone affected by the videos and their response. Your prayers for them may be the only prayers that some ever received.
God can bring good out of even a mistake we have made…you couldn’t hope to find or reach all these persons, but God can.
“Amen” to your prayers for their blessing.
🙂
 
Welcome. 🙂
I guess back then you didn’t have a true Christian sense of what you did.
If you honestly believe you’ve done all you can, then I imagine you have prayed that God will supply whatever it is needed to give restitution and blessing to anyone affected by the videos and their response. Your prayers for them may be the only prayers that some ever received.
God can bring good out of even a mistake we have made…you couldn’t hope to find or reach all these persons, but God can.
“Amen” to your prayers for their blessing.
🙂
I don’t believe I’ve done all I can, I wonder if it wise though, to bring back drama that should be laid to bed by a near circling of the sun?
 
Alright so a little less than a year ago a person, we shall call Kevin, uploaded a YouTube video which was an extremely personal attack on another man we’ll call Ted. Ted, in order to get the video off of YouTube, filed a false copyright infringement claim called a DMCA. Now Ted evidently thought it was a valid claim, but it wasn’t. I, thinking this act unacceptable, without watching the video, though having heard it was pretty mean, I mirrored the video (I uploaded it to my own channel.) I later watched it some time after It was DMCA’ed on my channel too. I saw it was pretty mean, but left it up, as well as the mediafire link for someone to download and mirror if they wanted to. Also in the ensuing scandal I insulted Ted too, pretty badly, 2ed worst ever that I recall (worst being the guy I told I wanted to die and be eaten by maggots). I later took all of the videos related to the scandal down,

I’ve since released a general apology to all persons I’ve insulted in arguments. In the description I’ve tacked on an apology to Ted as well, But the apology itself, may or may not technically include him, my personal suspicion being it does. (My video was a general apology to some Atheists, and all UFOists and Creationists, the latter category i suspect to include Ted, but am not in any way sure.)

But here’s my question, The apology in the description is not in the same medium, and is one much less likely to be seen, especially considering I changed the description to include Ted after the first and largest wave of views, my subscribers, had hit. So is the obligation to apologize in an “equally public” fashion met? (The description is publicly available, in a sense more so because the insulting videos were only public for some months while the apology will likely remain forever. Though I guess some mirrors of my videos will be around forever too, unless those persons who mirrored them abide my requests to take them down. But other mirrors of the ORIGINAL video, which exist possibly because of me, will be up forever.)

If Not, do I need to drag back out drama that occurred in September or late August-September of 2011?
God doesn’t expect the impossible. I would talk this over with your parish priest and then abide by his advice. Once you have done that and followed his advice as nearly as possible you will be forgiven any sins you may have committed. We all face similar problems because we are human and there is nothing the devil wants more than to make us feel like it is impossible to be forgiven. Just remember though that even though you talk this over with your parish priest you will still have to confess the backbiting, etc. Then it will be over and done with, the sins will be forgiven. That does not prevent you from doing acts of charity, etc as additional penance for those sins and others.

I should add however that those sins have been forgiven already because you owned up to them and tried to make reparation. Nevertheless, they will still have to be forgiven sacramentally in the confessional. And still talk it over with your priest, just tell him you need to talk something out before actually going to confession.

Dominus tecum.👍
 
I don’t believe I’ve done all I can, I wonder if it wise though, to bring back drama that should be laid to bed by a near circling of the sun?
That is a good point. Raising the problem again could cause further harm.
May God heal harm done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top