B
Baelor
Guest
I did not misquote you. I made a typo; I meant to say perversity.You misquoted me. I did not write that I don’t embrace diversity. I wrote that I don’t embrace perversity
I did not misquote you. I made a typo; I meant to say perversity.You misquoted me. I did not write that I don’t embrace diversity. I wrote that I don’t embrace perversity
Dear Ed,By the grace of God, I have helped create many fictional worlds and characters. I have helped young artists improve their craft and even mentored a young screenwriter. Never. Not once - out of a love for God - did I feel a need for “cursing in fiction.” I was raised on fiction (books, TV shows, movies and song lyrics) that included zero cursing. I was in awe, fascinated and inspired by them, and God saw to it that I am now in a place to bring my ideas to young and old alike.
Sure, sin and evil were portrayed in the past, but not with cursing.
Metric? What is that? I think you’re trying to make the simple sound more complicated than it is.
I ask you to re-read everything Portrait wrote. I also ask you to abandon the false maze that was created for all creative people during the great assault on God that began in the late 1960s.
As Catholics, we are called to imitate Christ, not the world. That is the answer.
But I see it all the time: young creatives who see what is available today in fiction, and think, “This is what I have to do. I need to embrace this because I was never taught that there’s something better. Or, I love the bad, the wrong and the incomprehensible.”
Metric?
I read the last issue of a fine arts magazine and it was filled, from cover to cover, with junk. Incomprehensible nonsense. But it does contain one strange thing: a page where each artist talks about their work presented, what motivates/inspires them, and then they resort - ever so briefly - to becoming human schizophrenics. They explain what the meaningless scratches and scribbles and distorted faces and other flotsam actually means! And, in all cases, it always means nothing that the viewer himself could ever know. To use a coarse example, if someone put a piece like that in front of me with a gun to my head, and asked me to explain it or else – I’d be dead. Laying in a pool of blood.
How’s that for a metric?
Those artists have been brainwashed. They have been taught that art is NO LONGER A COMMUNICATIONS MEDIUM, it is only what their brainwashers say it should be. It can never be anything else. So they all imitate each other, while the rational part of their brain – like a disembodied voice – tells us what their work means and why they do what they do. They then go back to living in their fantasy world as if they are unaware of the other part of them that gave their art what it needs - a message that is the gift of a true piece of art to a viewer. Not confusion. Not, as I read one brainwasher tell his students: “The viewer – not you – is responsible for interpreting the art.”
And as far as fiction ---- more schizophrenia. “I am not responsible for what my characters say or do.” “I am not responsible for the words they speak because I did not speak them.”
How’s that for a metric? Let’s try Psychology 101.
All action starts with an idea. As a working writer, I create everything: the scene, the mood, the plot, the characters. As I write, I give each character a personality. I imagine being that character. As my story is being developed, I usually run across parts that don’t work or don’t sound right. I then become the problem solver. It may take a day or two, but the solution comes to me. I always need to keep the pace, tone and goal of a particular piece in mind. I have to discard anything that doesn’t advance the story, even if I think it’s a cool idea at the time (I can save that idea for another story). Like a movie, all the words and actions have got to make the reader want to turn the page - to find out what happens next. This applies to action-adventure, or any other genre.
So here’s an interview with you on the TV show: Authors Tonight.
Good evening, book lovers. I’m Jack Grey and our guest tonight is Baelor Smith, author of Dark Hand.
(usual exchange of greetings, etc.)
Jack: I must say, after reading your book, I was reminded of Michael Forest and his best seller.
Baelor: Yes. Murder in Minot County. I must admit I drew some inspiration from his work.
Jack: What most impressed me with Dark Hand was the smooth interactions of the characters and the tone you set. Can you comment on that?
Baelor: Well, I wanted it to be suspenseful without presenting the reader with too many frightening moments. As I was writing it, I found that a little hard to do. I didn’t want to go too over the top. So I had to set up the scenes in such a way that the reader would keep turning the page while keeping the fear at a medium level throughout.
Jack: What about some of your critics who complain that there’s too much cursing in this book and your other books?
Baelor: All I can say is: I’m not responsible for any of the cursing. My characters are.
Jack: What do you mean?
Baelor: I never actually said any of those words. My characters did.
Jack: But you came up with those words, correct? I mean, don’t you think your critics have a valid complaint? You did write the book, not your characters. Right?
Baelor: What’s so hard to understand? I didn’t say those words.
Jack: I hate to press the point, but you wrote the book and as we all know, people are affected by what they read. Don’t you feel in any way responsible for what one critic wrote that you were “aiding and abetting the coarsening of the media culture”?
Baelor: No. Not at all.
Peace,
Ed
Dear Ed,By the grace of God, I have helped create many fictional worlds and characters. I have helped young artists improve their craft and even mentored a young screenwriter. Never. Not once - out of a love for God - did I feel a need for “cursing in fiction.” I was raised on fiction (books, TV shows, movies and song lyrics) that included zero cursing. I was in awe, fascinated and inspired by them, and God saw to it that I am now in a place to bring my ideas to young and old alike.
Sure, sin and evil were portrayed in the past, but not with cursing.
Metric? What is that? I think you’re trying to make the simple sound more complicated than it is.
I ask you to re-read everything Portrait wrote. I also ask you to abandon the false maze that was created for all creative people during the great assault on God that began in the late 1960s.
As Catholics, we are called to imitate Christ, not the world. That is the answer.
But I see it all the time: young creatives who see what is available today in fiction, and think, “This is what I have to do. I need to embrace this because I was never taught that there’s something better. Or, I love the bad, the wrong and the incomprehensible.”
Metric?
I read the last issue of a fine arts magazine and it was filled, from cover to cover, with junk. Incomprehensible nonsense. But it does contain one strange thing: a page where each artist talks about their work presented, what motivates/inspires them, and then they resort - ever so briefly - to becoming human schizophrenics. They explain what the meaningless scratches and scribbles and distorted faces and other flotsam actually means! And, in all cases, it always means nothing that the viewer himself could ever know. To use a coarse example, if someone put a piece like that in front of me with a gun to my head, and asked me to explain it or else – I’d be dead. Laying in a pool of blood.
How’s that for a metric?
Those artists have been brainwashed. They have been taught that art is NO LONGER A COMMUNICATIONS MEDIUM, it is only what their brainwashers say it should be. It can never be anything else. So they all imitate each other, while the rational part of their brain – like a disembodied voice – tells us what their work means and why they do what they do. They then go back to living in their fantasy world as if they are unaware of the other part of them that gave their art what it needs - a message that is the gift of a true piece of art to a viewer. Not confusion. Not, as I read one brainwasher tell his students: “The viewer – not you – is responsible for interpreting the art.”
And as far as fiction ---- more schizophrenia. “I am not responsible for what my characters say or do.” “I am not responsible for the words they speak because I did not speak them.”
How’s that for a metric? Let’s try Psychology 101.
All action starts with an idea. As a working writer, I create everything: the scene, the mood, the plot, the characters. As I write, I give each character a personality. I imagine being that character. As my story is being developed, I usually run across parts that don’t work or don’t sound right. I then become the problem solver. It may take a day or two, but the solution comes to me. I always need to keep the pace, tone and goal of a particular piece in mind. I have to discard anything that doesn’t advance the story, even if I think it’s a cool idea at the time (I can save that idea for another story). Like a movie, all the words and actions have got to make the reader want to turn the page - to find out what happens next. This applies to action-adventure, or any other genre.
Peace,
Ed
Dear Portrait,Dear Ed,
Hello again.
BTW Ed, do you remember The Fugitive series back in the 60’s which ran for some four years, concluding in August 1967? My wife and I are presently watching Season 2 on the US Region 1 DVD’s - thankfully we have a multi-region player - and find the show jolly riveting stuff and good clean entertainment devoid of any profanity or unwholesome content.
This superb series is anything but “insipid and mentally dead”
The series was immensely popular and the shows finale in America in 1967, which revealed the fate of Dr. Kimble, held the record at that time for the highest share of American homes with television sets to watch the conclusion of a series, 72% (the episode was called ‘The Judgment’). Evidently the show was not considered to be tedious by many but, on the contrary, rather compelling viewing. Alas, they do not make TV shows of this high quality anymore and if anyone watches the series they will soon discover how eminently superior it is to today’s ignoble offerings.
God bless.
Warmest good wishes,
Portrait
Pax
It is hardly an argument from silence; that argument is predicated on the reasonable and incidentally correct belief that the Church speaks on morality that is absolute, cf. all Church teaching on morality at all.This is really an argument from silence, dear friend, saying that because the Church has not officially declared the use of bad language to be wrong or sinful, then it is not inherently immoral.
Indeed, but you are claiming, with no valid justification, that all consciences should align on a particular issue, untaught by the Church, in exactly the same way. I am correctly pointing out that a ‘problem’ that is so widespread in the modern world, so perennial through millennia, would not have remained unaddressed by the Church if your bizarre conception of absolute morality were correct.This is misleading and against the whole spirit of Catholic thinking which expects the faithful to have a well-formed conscience to be able to arrive at the truth regarding such an issue.
On what basis, then, is swearing problematic? Please answer in the form: “Swearing is incorrect because it violates principle X of Catholicism, as seen in this teaching.”Regardless of whether certain individual people may not be offended by bad language, that still does not, dear friend, justify its usage, at least from a Christian standpoint.
St. Paul need not be referring to swear words, and Christianity has not defined a standard of language in the way you describe.St. Paul exhorts us: “Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt…” (Col 4: 6). Bad language fails to comport with the Christian standard of language and that is why it is unacceptable.
For some, the profanity carries no shock value, no pejorative or confrontational sense, etc.The gift of language was given to mankind by God and it should be used positively and not in an unsavoury manner. Alas, we are hearing today, even in normal discourse, an increasing amount of profanity, especially those coarse four-letter words.
To you, but bad language is not absolute, as I explained before. Please read my posts more carefully in the future.Bad language, dear brother, is not only negative, vulgar, impolite and downright offensive, but it also debases the dignity of each human being.
I addressed this in my previous post; please read my posts more carefully in the future.Moreover, cursing and swearing is not only evidence of a man’s sinful heart and want of respect for others, but also his own immaturity and insecurity in his dealings with his fellow men. The man who habitually uses bad language tends to build barriers rather than bridges with other people because he will always come across as boorish.
I addressed this in my previous post; please read my posts more carefully in the future.As regards the use of swearing as an exclamation in response to pain or a major mistake, my dear grandparent’s always told me to count to ten rather than fall into the habit of using expletives. No one has to swear, dear friend.
I addressed this in my previous post; please read my posts more carefully in the future.Society would not long tolerate a person who constantly uttered racial epithets, irrespective of the intention behind the words, and neither should we tolerate profanity, dear friend: “Let not your mouth become used to coarse talk, for in it lies sinful matter” (Sirach 23: 13).
Then it is not a violation of the Second Commandment.As regards swearing being a violation of the Second Commandment, I agree that it is not specifically refered to,
It is impossible to infer a ban on swearing from the Second Commandment; no one of any credibility would do this. It is easy to see why: those who are unfamiliar with English or who are unable to grasp its nuances see “swear” or “oath” (and the related “curse,” depending on your translation) and immediately, in their ignorance of diachronic semantics, assume erroneously that this is related to “swearing” in the modern sense. Not so.but I do believe that it is a reasonable deduction from it, dear friend.
Your question is worthless because it is self-answering. Obviously the perfect embodiment and agent of the Good would not engage in any way with the bad. That does not tell us what the “bad” is, nor why it is bad.Now we need to ask ourselves, would He, the Holy Son of God, have used or condoned bad language?
That does not tell me anything. I am looking for a metric that can be applied objectively to any piece of art and can produce an answer. How can you tell whether something promotes good moral health? Give me a metric that will determine that. I will keep asking until you produce it and stop rewording your terms without eliminating their vagueness.By “unwholesome” I mean that which is unlikely to promote good moral health and thus foster the Christian virtues. That is the benchmark that I would use to evaluate a peice of art and determine whether it is permissible or not.
Portrait, I hope that you understanding what you are saying:All this really does boil down to having a well-formed conscience to aid us in our decision making.
May I recommend that you read Aristotle’s Topics and other treatises on logic and syllogism? You are constructing a fallacious argument:Therefore they still seem to instinctively know that it is wrong and unbefitting in those who profess the religion of Christ.
At the same time, the Church acknowledges that some things are sinful for some persons and not for others, in fitting with our individual circumstances and what leads us to sin. Note that none of the absolute morals the Church teaches fit into this category.Certainly Holy Mother Church declares universally valid standards, not admitting exceptions, but she also expects us to repair to the collective wisdom and moral sense of the faithful in times past.
They were still societal stereotypes.The ‘societal stereotypes’ of which you speak, dear friend, were themselves engendered by the Christian consciousness and therefore are not inherently bad or wrong, notwithstanding what our irreligious modern culture may now say respecting them.
I have no reason to believe that the moral sense of the faithful has always been that all profanity of any kind in any situation is immoral. Furthermore, if that were that case, it would be reflected in Church teaching; q.v. my earlier posts.The moral sense of the faithful has always, and quite rightly, deemed the uttering of profanity to be vulgar, impolite and unbefitting of those who profess godliness and that is why its use was avoided and frowned upon.
If this were the case, we would see it in the Catechism.The Christian consciousness (which has been reflected in traditional values) has always disapproved of the use of foul language, in any context, including literary works.
Portrait, no one is buying your evasion. At this point, it is crossing the line from potential misunderstanding to outright dishonesty.You ask for a ‘metric’ dear brother and I would point you to the most true and trustworthy measuring stick that there is, namely the collective wisdom of previous generations of Catholics, which itself permeated secular society and evolved into what we now refer to, and often contemptuously dismiss, as ‘traditional values’.
I treated this in my previous post; please read my posts more carefully in the future.It is freely acknowledged, dear friend, that the Second Commandment does not specifically proscribe against the use of profanity, but I am not so certain that it is consistent with it either.
Why should I not believe it is a matter of societal conditioning? This conditioning is not necessarily valid, and to claim that it is is engaging in the circular reasoning I pointed out earlier. Please read my posts more carefully in the future.If Non-Christians have been ‘conditioned’ by anything then it is the Christian consciousness… It is for this reason that they are surprised and outraged when they hear Christian themselves uttering vullgar and impolite expletives are engaging ribaldry - “does a fountain send forth both bitter sweet water at the same place?”.
Perhaps you should tell other people what else they think and why they think it. I am sure we could all benefit greatly from your piercing telepathy.They instinctively know that it does not comport with a devout profession of religion.
There is, since you state that ALL swearing in fiction is impermissible. Clearly, then, you know how swearing fits into that metric. I am wondering about the other members of the metric. Since your tirade against swearing has no explicit basis in Catholic teaching, I am sure that your knowledge of God’s will extends beyond the issue of swearing, and thus I exhort you to share your immense theological knowledge with us.This isn’t about mathematics… I can tell you there is no secular metric as you call it.
First of all, that demonstrates my point, if it does anything. Second, we know empirically that touching hot surfaces is harmful, so that is not even social conditioning.ALL you are doing is living out the lie that everything is social conditioning. We are all born into this world stupid. Unaware of what hot and cold means until we burn our fingers or until mom tells us, “Don’t touch that because you will burn your fingers.”
If you are saying a rule is absolute and yet acknowledge exceptions, then you are contradicting yourself. Pointing this out is hardly rhetorical finesse, it is a desire for rationality and logical validity in a discussion. If neither of those matter to you, may I suggest a faith other than Catholicism, which prides itself on a high intellectual standard?Go ahead. Say it as often as you like: I found exceptions to what you call the rule so the rule doesn’t really matter.
What I want is what God wants. You are not helping anyone find out what that is.Or, show me the page and verse that gives me the STANDARD which I should apply to all my work. You’ve been given that standard, but it’s apparent that what you want is what you want.
I never said that.By accepting the ‘it’s all social conditioning’ lie,
That is manifestly absurd. Are you going to tell me that my favorite color is inherently a choice of “good” or “bad?”There are only two ways to go: good or bad.
I never said that.If it’s all relative and there are no hard and fast rules,
I never said that.We live in the 21st Century! Yeah. So? Everything’s got to change!
No, he did not. The fact that you are mentally closed-minded does not mean that your readers are. If you made anthropomorphic aliens, that is certainly your right as an author. But it is not a requirement in fiction, and this is where we differ: I like stimulating art that is still moral, you only like insipid, platitude-filled art. That is certainly your prerogative, but please do not claim that it is the obligation of everyone else.I’ve created things. I’ve invented things. I’ve made characters that had personality and talked and behaved in certain ways, including alien beings. But, at the end of the day, they were all people - even the aliens. The reader had to see something he could relate to even in the most alien being I could create.
Insults noted.Ed, I am still waiting on the metric. Your last post suggests that we may consume novels written in the 19th century with nothing but pleasure despite the overt racism and sexism, which seems to run counter to your larger argument, so I assume that that is not the case. Providing your metric will be useful. I even set up a template for you to use.
For someone so vitriolic, you are equally vague. Perhaps that is necessary for those who pontificate like snakes: pinning them down will reveal what they are, which is nothing good.
Human dignity in writing requires respect. And the enemy and the evil need to be clearly defined. That’s all.I think to express my writing ideas in a dignified manner I will have to write something like Chronicles of Narnia.
This is not Church teaching.Human dignity in writing requires respect. And the enemy and the evil need to be clearly defined. That’s all.
We do not decide, on our own initiative, what words are immoral. The same words I was told not to repeat in the 1960s are still the same words I should not repeat today, and such was the case with all those people I grew up with. In fact, so-called comedian/propagandist, Louis Black, did just such a thing. Based on nothing more than his own authority, he told his audience: “There’s no such thing as bad language.” Who died and put him in charge?May I ask what property of the use of those words makes them intrinsically disordered? Granted they have unique properties in that they sometimes function to express emotion rather than meaning but that would make the word “ouch” sinful.
Failing that what negative consequence does their use lead to? If you seek to say “Cultural degeneration” without circular reasoning you must show that they lead to cultural degeneration in other areas.
If you seek to say it depends on social convention then you must accept that once social convention abandons the idea that these words are forbidden, which it is poised to do, they will no longer be immoral. In fact I dare say that there being less things that are sinful and therefore people sinning less Is a GOOD thing.
Also remember Jesus cursed (“He who says to his brother RAKA [a curse word]…”)
He was commanding people not to use it to insult others but he was still cursing.