D
Della
Guest
Sorry for not writing Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults instead of RCIA.Della, RCIA? google Ah.
In RCIA you will find people at very different points in their spiritual/knowledge about the Church stages. Some come from strong Protestant Christian backgrounds, such as Lutheranism. Others have had little to no teaching about anything religious and others will be eager to āget on with itā and be received into the Church. Iām not sure youāll find people to talk to with your concerns/questions. RCIA is definitively structured. Some programs (each parish/diocese runs its own version) are quite informative while others are more about how people feel about becoming Catholic and some arenāt as orthodox or informative as they ought to be. It can be a mixed bag. Iām just letting you know not trying to discourage you from going. By all means go. But weāll be here if you have questions you canāt raise in class (lack of time for it or other such reasons).Iām kind of convinced that is not the place that will give me exactly what I want or need⦠but itās a starting point. Iām not exactly sure itās apologetics I need either - well, partly but what Iād really appreciate is someplace to TALK to people, IRL. Internet is good! but IRL still is something else⦠RCIA wonāt be exactly that. The teaching, the people, the surroundings can point to other places and occasions, perhaps. Weāll see.
The Lutheran synods have much in common with the Catholic Church, as do the Anglican/Episcopal churches. The major differences between the CC and these others are being looked into by ecumenical conferences, as we write. Some agreements have been reached. The Church cannot compromise its teachings nor can she acknowledge apostolic succession where it doesnāt exist. But there are hopes that reconciliation between communions can come about one day, God willing.I went through confirmation in my Lutheran church, in early teens which was the age when you were expected to. At the time I didnāt find the classes/studying in the least interesting and why I eventually went through with it all I honestly canāt explain. So in a way I want to redo those classes, now that I am interested. The RCIA was by far the most structured and thorough version I could find, around here. The days also fit my schedule, so I jumped at it. Most probably Iāll drop out after the first part, either to return to the agnostic state or to investigate the church I come from and/or other churches. Iāll have to do that, really - investigate where I ācome fromā. The Catholic church has a strong intellectual history and thereās plenty of explaining the church, faith and teaching in the light of church history which is very, very appealing. That probably can be found in Lutheranism as well. Youāll have to search harder for it, though.
The Church is only interested in so far as it concerns matters of faith and morals. Otherwise, itās a lot of fuss over āhorse breeding,ā as G. K. Chesterton put it. IOW, what difference does it make unless those who expound it stray into theology to make declarations that have little to nothing to do with science. Certain persons have done so and have not made converts to their atheism people who have solid understanding of sound theology because such persons have little to no understanding of theology. In a phrase, itās a simple fact that one can be a profound Catholic or a profound atheist and still be a good scientist.The notion that Christianity does not have to be in opposition to science is another very appealing side of Catholicism. The reason it came up here was because religion traditionally has answered many of the questions about the world that today you really donāt need religion for - to me, thatās what the āproof of Godās existanceā are. The various Lutheran churches around me can roughly be sorted into two categories: those who interpret the Bible very literally and reject any talk about, for instance, evolution. Iāve seen people drop out from biology program since it was āso much talk about evolutionā - well if you reject the concept of evolution youāll have to reject modern biology in its entirety, sorry but you have to! The other version is those whose faith depend a lot on emotional things and individual revelations (pentecostal, etc). Those, frankly, I am a little bit afraid of.
There are answers to them all, as many earnestly seeking Protestants, including me (Iām a āconvertā) have discovered. Start new threads to discuss them and weāll gladly give you what we know or give you resources.OTOH there certainly are things in Catholicism that are difficult for me. I wonāt list them here, mainly because I donāt feel like going into a debate about them. Some of them I probably have in common with most people who come from āthe protestant campā, others with most people who approach Catholicism from the secularized world.
continued next post: