On This Memorial Day 2005

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Guest
By Cal Thomas****Sometimes the list is short, just one or two names; not much bigger than a newspaper correction box. Sometimes, on some days, the list is longer.

I try to read it when I can, the list of the war dead. Men and sometimes women I have never met fighting and dying for the freedom of others. What a noble sacrifice. What a priceless investment.

Some are so young — they always are — barely old enough to vote.

Others are in their 30s with families to whom they will never return.

I go down the list — Senior Airman Jason Plight, age 21, Lansing, Mich.; Sgt. Orlando Morales, 33, Puerto Rico; Sgt. Brian McGinnis, 23, Delaware; Spc. Brandon Rowe, 20, Illinois.

There are innocent Iraqi and Afghan dead, too, but these are our boys and young men.

This Memorial Day we honor them and many others like them who now and in previous wars and conflicts have given the last full measure of devotion for a noble principal and a higher cause than self.

As that patriotic anthem says: “Oh beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife. Who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life!”

The Scriptures say, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”

On this Memorial Day 2005, those of us who celebrate and benefit from freedom salute those who fight and die for it.

It is a high price they pay, but they know the cost of slavery is greater. Thanks soldiers, sailors, Air Force and Marines. God bless America!

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158036,00.html
 
From a soldier in Iraq:

Memorial Day

strengthandhonor.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dscn0297.JPG It is 116 degrees outside today, and the wind is blowing sand and dust everywhere. Patrols go out and come back in. Our guys have captured a few heavy-hitters among the arhabi in the past few days, and there has been what seems to be a corresponding decrease in bombings in our area. A few other units have done likewise. I am anxiously awaiting the results of the interrogations as I know that there are more out there. Luckily, one less warrior has to worry about going to jail now for fighting them. I am glad it is quiet outside, but today I keep thinking of the blood price paid by Task Force NightStalker:

SPC Travis Bruce

CPL Glenn Watkins

PFC Samantha Huff

I will say a few extra prayers today with these heroes in mind. I hope that they have well appointed mansions. They are why I have so much to look forward to back home. I am eternally grateful.
 
At Mass today, I used the reading from the Gospel of John where Jesus says: “No greater love is this that one lays down one’s life for one’s friends.” So I was impressed with the initial thread quoting this quote. When one is united in the faith, we think alike.

Let us remember to pray for those who are in active military service, as their duty is to protect us, may God protect them. AMEN!

Fr. J.
(Edwin1961 brother)👋
 
Winds of War Briefing - Memorial Day 2005 Edition

By Bill Roggio
Happy Memorial Day. Blackfive and Greyhawk offer fitting tributes to those who have sacrificed for this great nation. Here is a great video salute as well (thanks, evariste!). Enjoy your friends and family, and be sure to take a moment to remember our fallen heroes. Today is their day.

While we celebrate Memorial Day, our soldiers continue to fight an die in defense of our freedom. Today’s Winds of War briefing reminds us this war is by no means over, that there are many more sacrifices to be made before this depraved enemy is defeated.
 
40.png
revejj2000:
At Mass today, I used the reading from the Gospel of John where Jesus says: “No greater love is this that one lays down one’s life for one’s friends.” So I was impressed with the initial thread quoting this quote. When one is united in the faith, we think alike.

Let us remember to pray for those who are in active military service, as their duty is to protect us, may God protect them. AMEN!

Fr. J.
(Edwin1961 brother)👋
Hi Father Edward,
Here is a rememberance from me…
http://photobucket.com/albums/y113/Annie27/th_memday.gif

http://photobucket.com/albums/y113/Annie27/th_USA-10.gif
 
gilliam said:
From a soldier in Iraq:

Memorial Day

strengthandhonor.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dscn0297.JPG It is 116 degrees outside today, and the wind is blowing sand and dust everywhere. Patrols go out and come back in. Our guys have captured a few heavy-hitters among the arhabi in the past few days, and there has been what seems to be a corresponding decrease in bombings in our area. A few other units have done likewise. I am anxiously awaiting the results of the interrogations as I know that there are more out there. Luckily, one less warrior has to worry about going to jail now for fighting them. I am glad it is quiet outside, but today I keep thinking of the blood price paid by Task Force NightStalker:

SPC Travis Bruce

CPL Glenn Watkins

PFC Samantha Huff

I will say a few extra prayers today with these heroes in mind. I hope that they have well appointed mansions. They are why I have so much to look forward to back home. I am eternally grateful.

It is ironic that you mention PFC Sam Huff. she was one of the soldiers that I was praying for today. Our local paper published the pictures of all the soldiers who have died in Iraq and Afganistan. We have lost nine young men and women. One of them was PFC Huff. She was a graduate of the same High School as my son although she was quite a bit younger. She was a beautiful young women and a great loss. Others from our town left young children. Some of the children were not yet born and will never know their fathers. I pray for them all. I also placed a prayer for them at the Mission.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top