Once Saved Always Saved - The Deadly Doctrine

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy_Carson

Guest
What exactly does “Once Saved Always Saved” mean, what are the implications for the Christian, and is this teaching supported by Scripture?

I. The Protestant ViewA. Protestant Beliefs
· Accept Jesus Christ into your heart
· Say the “sinner’s prayer” and confess with your lips
· You only need to believe in Jesus (John 3:16)
· You have a one way ticket to heaven; absolutely nothing can derail the train; heaven is guaranteed
· It is a corollary to “Faith Alone”
· ”Absolute assurance” - Since works do not gain your salvation, works cannot cause you to lose your salvation. There is nothing you can DO to lose salvation including sinning.
· You are “hid” with Christ in God (Colossians 3:3) God can’t see YOU and YOUR sin anymore. He can only see Christ.
· “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.” (Romans 8:1-2)

B. One Protestant sums up the doctrine of OSAS this way:

“However, it is not merely from the Levitical laws that we were discharged, but also from the moral ones. God only has one law. Does that mean we can sin freely? No, for God hates sin, and if we love God, we will live according to His commandments. However, it does mean that no sin will be held against us once we receive Christ, for upon receiving Christ we are discharged from the very law against which our sins would have been reckoned.” (found on the Internet)

​
+++

Lest I be charged with setting up a straw man, I ask others to judge whether this is a fair explanation of OSAS before I go any further. Thanks.
 
Supported by Scripture? I think if we were to find the earliest roots of this new doctrine, we’d have to go to the one and only, master of disaster, Martin Luther.

"Christ committed adultery first of all with the woman at the well about whom St. John tells us. Was not everybody about Him saying: “Whatever has he been doing with her?” Secondly, with Mary Magdalene, and thirdly with the woman taken in adultery whom he dismissed so lightly. Thus even Christ, who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died."

(D. Martin Luthers Werke, kritische Gesamtausgabe [Hermann Bohlau Verlag, 1893], vol. 2, no. 1472, April 7 - May 1, 1532, p. 33)

“Be a sinner and sin on bravely, but have stronger faith and rejoice in Christ, who is the victor of sin, death, and the world. Do not for a moment imagine that this life is the abiding place of justice: sin must be committed. To you it ought to be sufficient that you acknowledge the Lamb that takes away the sins of the world, the sin cannot tear you away from him [Christ], even though you commit adultery a hundred times a day and commit as many murders.”

(Enders, “Briefwechsel”, III, 208).

Martin Luther was indeed a very strange man.
 
This is actually an unfair generalization of Protestants.😦 Many Protestants are Arminian, not Calvinist, and DO NOT believe in OSAS. I have Methodist family members and friends. They believe OSAS is as deadly as Catholics do. My Methodist family members and friends believe that one can lose his salvation.
 
This is actually an unfair generalization of Protestants.😦 Many Protestants are Arminian, not Calvinist, and DO NOT believe in OSAS. I have Methodist family members and friends. They believe OSAS is as deadly as Catholics do. My Methodist family members and friends believe that one can lose his salvation.
Not all Protestants believe in OSAS. I did some research online and found one Evangelical giving Biblical verses refuting OSAS.
 
It’s all over the website. Not all Protestants believe in OSAS.

Oh, I knew that. I just wanted to see the links. It’s also all over these forums. Quite a few of our Protestant friends who post here do not believe in OSAS; in fact, they consider it just as deadly as we Catholics do.
 
I think I know people who believe this… I simply say that don’t actions speak louder than words? Words don’t say what you believe, if you TRULY believed in Jesus and his teachings, you would live a righteous life. The works are not what save you, but if you say one thing and do another, you’re right up there with the hypocrits that Jesus condemned. Matthew 15: 7-9 shows Jesus does not see ‘lip service as enough’
 
I think I know people who believe this… I simply say that don’t actions speak louder than words? Words don’t say what you believe, if you TRULY believed in Jesus and his teachings, you would live a righteous life. The works are not what save you, but if you say one thing and do another, you’re right up there with the hypocrits that Jesus condemned. Matthew 15: 7-9 shows Jesus does not see ‘lip service as enough’
Are you calling us hypocrite? Do you have the ability to read the hearts of men? I would be careful when you judge people who don’t believe in OSAS.

I can cite many Biblical verses that refute OSAS. OSAS is not a universal belief and not even the Orthodox Christians believed it in.
 
Are you calling us hypocrite? Do you have the ability to read the hearts of men? I would be careful when you judge people who don’t believe in OSAS.

I can cite many Biblical verses that refute OSAS. OSAS is not a universal belief and not even the Orthodox Christians believed it in.
What on Earth are you talkinng about. I said that even if you believed in the OSAS idea, you can’t say that you believe in Jesus and not live the life of a righteous man, that is hypocricy. And suggests that you don’t actually believe what you say. I was not even talking about those who believe OSAS is wrong…
 
What on Earth are you talkinng about. I said that even if you believed in the OSAS idea, you can’t say that you believe in Jesus and not live the life of a righteous man, that is hypocricy. And suggests that you don’t actually believe what you say. I was not even talking about those who believe OSAS is wrong…
:eek: :rolleyes:
 
Its true that not all Protestants believe in OSAS, but you have to admit that -most- of them do.

I’ve met Baptists, Salvation Armyists, JWs, almost whoever, and they believe in OSAS. To my sorrow, even my mother [Baptist] believes this. She thinks I’m going to Hell because I don’t believe in OSAS. 😦

Of all the weird heresies out there, this one is the icing on the cake. You can almost watch Christians fight over this cake.
 
Many Protestants are Arminian, not Calvinist, and DO NOT believe in OSAS.
Calvinists don’t believe in OSAS either. The “P” in TULIP, standing for “Perseverance of the Saints,” is not the same as OSAS.

OSAS is “cheap grace.” It says “Convert now and you’ll always be saved, no matter what you do for the rest of your life.”

PotS is only saying that the saints will persevere. If someone appears to be a saint, but then falls away and dies in his sins, OSAS says he’s going to heaven anyway. PotS says he was never a saint in the first place.

Of course, both are wrong, but it takes Tradition to prove them so 🙂

Jeremy
 
Its true that not all Protestants believe in OSAS, but you have to admit that -most- of them do.

No, most of them don’t. It’s a doctrine peculiar to some baptist sects. Methodists, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Reformed Baptist, Restoration movement churches, Anglicans, and the majority of Protestants do not hold OSAS.

Jeremy
 
"Christ committed adultery first of all with the woman at the well about whom St. John tells us. Was not everybody about Him saying: “Whatever has he been doing with her?” Secondly, with Mary Magdalene, and thirdly with the woman taken in adultery whom he dismissed so lightly. Thus even Christ, who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died."
I’m no fan of Luther, but this quotation smacks of a rhetorical statement taken out of context. If we’re to expect that Protestants don’t twist the Scriptures or take the Church Fathers out of context, then we should give them the same courtesy.

Jeremy
 
How would you respond to a Protestant who cites Jeremiah 32:40 as conclusive proof of OSAS:

**"I will make an everlasting covenant with them that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; and I will put the fear of Me in their hearts so that they will not turn away from Me. **

He more or less argues that this proves that a genuine Christian cannot turn away from God, fail to persevere, and hence lose their salvation.

God Bless,
Michael
 
Supported by Scripture? I think if we were to find the earliest roots of this new doctrine, we’d have to go to the one and only, master of disaster, Martin Luther.

"Christ committed adultery first of all with the woman at the well about whom St. John tells us. Was not everybody about Him saying: “Whatever has he been doing with her?” Secondly, with Mary Magdalene, and thirdly with the woman taken in adultery whom he dismissed so lightly. Thus even Christ, who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died."

(D. Martin Luthers Werke, kritische Gesamtausgabe [Hermann Bohlau Verlag, 1893], vol. 2, no. 1472, April 7 - May 1, 1532, p. 33)

“Be a sinner and sin on bravely, but have stronger faith and rejoice in Christ, who is the victor of sin, death, and the world. Do not for a moment imagine that this life is the abiding place of justice: sin must be committed. To you it ought to be sufficient that you acknowledge the Lamb that takes away the sins of the world, the sin cannot tear you away from him [Christ], even though you commit adultery a hundred times a day and commit as many murders.”

(Enders, “Briefwechsel”, III, 208).

Martin Luther was indeed a very strange man.
Amen! How many times do we need to go over this one. I love the arguement for OSAS as it makes as little sense to me as the protestant reformation as a whole. The bottom line is that this is just another protestant invention designed to put some distance between their teaching and Catholic teaching. Remember, Luther did not want to be alone in breaking away from the Chruch. If he had been teaching the same thing as the Catholic Church…who would have followed him?

In order to make his way of thinking appealing, it had to be an easier road than that of the Catholic Church. What could be easier than OSAS?

The one common theme that I find in people that leave the Church is that they are upset because the Church will not support them in their sin:

-I left the Church because they said homosexuals were sinners.
-I left the Church because they said that abortion was wrong.
-I left the Church because they would not let me get a divorce
-I left the Church because they would not allow women priests.

Notice a theme? People leave when they can’t have their way. It just kills them. So, they form their own church. Famous example of all time: Henry the 8th. “What, I can’t get a divorce? Well, I will just form my own church then.”

OSAS is just like so much of protestant teaching…it is designed to make salvation easy. Salvation is not. Salvation is work.
 
I’ve met Baptists, Salvation Armyists, JWs, almost whoever, and they believe in OSAS.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are NOT Protestant. They are non-Christian. They don’t believe in the divinity of Jesus or in the Holy Spirit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top