My Protestant friend seems to think that there is one specific moment in which you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and then you are saved. I told him that I have grown up with the faith and just grew up knowing Jesus Christ to be my savior just as a grew up knowing that the sky is blue. He seems skeptical of this though. I just want to know what I can say to him because I told him I would think about it more and get back to him.
Look at the examples of some saints in history.
St. Paul got a BAM! moment while riding on his horse to Damascus.
St. Peter came to a slow realization that Jesus was the Christ.
St. Augustine knew the truth but resisted it for decades because of his worldly attachments.
St. Therese of Liseaux grew up in a Catholic home and became a Carmelite at 15.
There is no “one-size-fits-all” type of conversion experience.
Here is the scriptural answer for your Bible Christian friend:
Salvation as a past event
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. (Ephesians 2:4-5)
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
Salvation as an ongoing activity
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (Philippians 2:12-13)
Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:8-9)
Salvation as a future event
And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. (Romans 13:11)
If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. (1 Corinthians 3:12-15)
When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord. (1 Corinthians 5:4-5)
A general summary of salvation, highlighting its past, present and future dimensions, would go something like this: “Salvation is a process that begins when a person first becomes a Christian, continues for the rest of his life, and is completed when he stands before God in judgment.” This summary allows the faithful Christian to do justice to all of the biblical data by saying, in faith and hope,
“I have been saved, I am being saved, and I hope to be saved.” It embraces all three dimensions of salvation that are present in the Bible.