Online shopping on Sunday where next-day delivery is involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like @HomeschoolDad is one of those guys you kind of think is a crank but also you can’t help but like.

(And I hope that’s taken in the friendly spirit it’s intended)

@HomeschoolDad
Since we are discussing how our commerce should reflect our faith, what of the odd ads on this apostolate’s site? Some inappropriate, some off target, some anti catholic. Some plain old weird. Perhaps we should clean our own house first before debating such a niche ethical question.
You’d have to take that up with the Catholic Answers powers-that-be.
I feel like @HomeschoolDad is one of those guys you kind of think is a crank but also you can’t help but like.

(And I hope that’s taken in the friendly spirit it’s intended)
Being liked is a nice thing. It’s not the only thing. I know you know that, just making the statement.

If I’m a crank, so is whoever wrote this paragraph in the Catechism:

CCC 2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees."

That ultimately falls upon Papa Francisco — it’s his book. So maybe he’s the “crank”.

I’ve been called worse.

Taken in the friendly spirit you assure me is intended. From your past posts, I know your heart is in the right place.

Taken in the friendly spirit you assure me is intended. From your past posts, I know your heart is in the right place.
Oh, I’m just commenting on your general…je ne sais quoi. Your posts always make me think “he’s an odd duck…” while simultaneously thinking i wouldn’t mind having a beer with you.

Could be that I also always picture the chihuahua from your avatar reading your posts.

40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Oh, I’m just commenting on your general…je ne sais quoi. Your posts always make me think “he’s an odd duck…” while simultaneously thinking i wouldn’t mind having a beer with you.

Could be that I also always picture the chihuahua from your avatar reading your posts.
To my mind, I’m just a pretty average, garden-variety traditional orthodox Catholic, or as I explained to my parents (late 80s) the other night, like Bing Crosby, Danny Thomas, or Loretta Young were “back in the day”. That may be “odd” these days, but so be it. I’d have a beer with you too. The chihuahua turned up on my doorstep (figuratively speaking) when I was doing an “ugly dog” search on Google for my son’s amusement. He was too priceless not to be saved and used as an avatar. I swap them out now and then.

And under the rubric of “let’s see what Jone says”, here it is:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Of course, one could always say “local custom in the United States is to do any shopping we feel like doing, because we’re such a time-starved culture, we’ve got so much on our plate, and we need to keep this big-gluteus economy running just as hot as we can run it”. (Sorry for the Latin, but the three-letter word I wanted to use might run afoul of CAF guidelines in this context.)

I like that book, very clear. Studying being allowed reminds me of a Fr. Ripperger talk where he mentioned seminarians trying to get out of studying due to Sundays, but not being allowed.

I like that book, very clear. Studying being allowed reminds me of a Fr. Ripperger talk where he mentioned seminarians trying to get out of studying due to Sundays, but not being allowed.
It is indeed clear, but Jone’s book is a distillation and summary of various schools of thought, with the majority opinions often presented as though they are the only opinions. In plain English, I would advise, if Jone says “you can’t do this” and it is something you see yourself as having to do, dig deeper and see if this is the universal or near-universal opinion of moral theologians, or if there is some “wiggle room” — in dubio libertas.

There are also some times when I am just left scratching my head — “huh? what did he say?”. Keep in mind that this book was originally in German (I think, may have been Latin), and was “Englished”, so something may get lost here and there in the translation. There’s also a curious passage where Jone allows an act of marital intimacy that you would think would be one of the four sins that cry to heaven for vengeance. Don’t know what he was thinking, and sadly, Jone is no longer around to be asked.

In short, Jone is a good reference, but it’s not infallible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back