Origin of term "Easter"

• Thread starter Thread starter Considering
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
…end…]

There are Akkadian words in European languages - “saffron” is from the place-name Azupiranu (which is Sumerian in origin, by the looks of it); “mesquin” is from mushkenum, by way of Latin & Arabic - but the validity of the general principle (that words can travel from culture to culture) does not prove that this is true of particular examples.

Hekal in Hebrew is from Sumerian E.GAL (= “great house” - i.e. palace, temple) by way of Akkadian ekallum. It should follow therefore (according to the logic of the Easter-Ishtar argument,that is) that the Jews worshipped the gods of Sumer & Akkad.
Many motifs in European sculpture - such as gryphons & lions - have Ancient Near Eastern sources or analogies: this is no reason to conclude that they are used in European sculpture *with the same set of associations *as inthe ANE. If associations always remained constant in that way, the use of Victoria as the name of a British monarch would be inextricably connected with the Roman goddess of the same name. But if Victoria, ruler of the British Empire on which the sun shall never set 🙂 is not named to honour the Roman goddess - why must Easter be connected with Ishtar in a way which proves that Ishtar is worshipped in the Church ? The structure of the argument that proves that Queen Victoria is a Roman goddess of war & victory, is the same in structure as the argument that proves Easter derives from Ishtar with what the worship of Ishtar involved.

But since Easter is connected to Ishtar in the same sense as “baby” is connected to “Babylon” - i.e. not at all - the question does not arise 🙂

It doesn’t matter how many forms of “easter” there are or what pagan god the name came from.

The scriptural and Jewish name for the day Jesus rose from the grave is First Fruits. He rose on First Fruits.

“Easter” is the word used in English only. Other languages generally use a word derived from “pasch” as in “paschal sacrifice”.

Thus in English, I believe that “Pasch” can be interchanged with “Easter”.

And latin_rite, why did you revive a 3-1/2 year old thread? 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back