Original Sin explanation

• Thread starter Thread starter Guilherme1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guilherme1

So, Original Sin is the reason why humans are inclined to do evil acts, it is the reason why we die, it is the reason why we get sick and it is the reason why some people are born with disabilities. Right?

Is Original Sin also the reason why there are natural disasters, such as earthquakes, tsunamis or meteor collisions on Earth? Is original sin also the reason why animals suffer with pain and is the reason why animals commit acts like homosexuality or incest?

I mainly want to know if Original Sin affected the entire planet (and perhaps the entire Universe), so now Earth is an imperfect place because of that, but before the Original Sin Earth was perfect, like the human race. Would nature create the coronavirus, for example, if it weren’t for Original Sin?

Last edited:
Ahh so many questions.
What I can offer is one opinion shared by a few people that have also pondered this subject.
First we must clear what Original sin is not.
It is not personal sin which is to act against the natural law first and after the Exodus are coded in the 10 commandments.
Original sin is the condition all humans since the events in the garden have been born with the exceptions of Mary the mother of GOD and Jesus of Nazareth.
This condition is that we are by nature born without the grace from GOD we lost this connection with the Divine in the Garden.
This site has a lot more to offer and perhaps some of your questions can be satisfied there: https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p7.htm

Peace and a Merry Christmas!

One of the many things I have not had satisfactorily answered on CAF is how a loving God could impose pain and suffering on animals as a result of original sins with no countervailing prospect of eternal life.

One of the many things I have not had satisfactorily answered on CAF is how a loving God could impose pain and suffering on animals as a result of original sins with no countervailing prospect of eternal life.
I would like to think that animal pain is a consequence of Original Sin, not something that God created.

Last edited:
But how could an all-loving God do this, since he determined the consequences of original sin?

But how could an all-loving God do this, since he determined the consequences of original sin?
I don’t think was God who determined the consequences of Original Sin. At least, this is the first time I see someone suggesting it.

I think the most that God did was to tolerate the inherent consequences of the Original Sin, when he could have prevented those consequences. Sometimes, divine intervention is not good because greater goods will be lost, so God does nothing.

Last edited:
To bring a greater good out of it.

The original sin consists in the lack of trust in God, in the proud desire to affirm our authority above everything and everyone, in the proud desire to feel “the god of ourselves”, so that we can esablish the moral rules and do whatever we want to.

Personally I think that each of us must recognize himself in Adam and Eve, because we all rebelled against God, since we were kids, even if we were not aware of that. In fact, every time a child disoebeys his parents, he is unconsciously rebelling against God. Since the most tender age, children manfest forms of egoism and the desire to affirm their will against their parents’ will; I think these behaviors represent embrionic forms of the original sin.

The story of the fall is not only a figurative account of Adam’s sin, but it is also the figurative story of each of us; it tells us who we really are beyond our own awareness, it tells us that we are all proud rebels. Even if we had been created in Eden, we would have sinned and rebelled against God. Therefore, Adam’s sin is also our sin.

Creation was hardwired with futility and decay and waits for The revealing of the children of God to be lifted up. God did this so the dignity of mankind would be revealed. We messed up and now we wait groaning too with creation for the resurrection of the Elect in Glory. Our bodies have always been the sign of the first covenant. Now they submit to futility and decay which is the sign of truth too. We let creation down that’s how it’s effected. Earthly life and the powers of nature are hostile to us. That loss of symbiosis is more our loss than theirs

I mainly want to know if Original Sin affected the entire planet
I believe Catholic teaching is that Mary (this bit is not Christian teaching, by the way, but like all nice Jewish girls - and not nice Jewish girls for that matter) was born without it.

In other words, ‘original sin’ is a Christian thing - just thought I’d mention that. 😉

Last edited:
For the animals as well, or only for us humans? If only the latter, this seems to me so selfish.

God Designed, Decreed, Preordained from all eternity every event, that happen, or will happen, in the universe.

God’s omnipotent providence exercises a complete and perfect control over all events that happen, or will happen, in the universe.

CCC 390 The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, …

Figurative
[fɪɡ(ə)rətɪv]
departing from a literal use of words; “a figurative expression”
nonliteral, symbolic, allegorical, imaginative, etc.

THE MYSTERY OF PREDESTINATION By John Salza (Catholic theologian).
Page 113; God, however, willed to permit Adam to reject His grace and to sin.
CCC 313; Nothing can come but that that God wills.

Catholic Encyclopedia : Evil
“But we cannot say without denying the Divine omnipotence, that another equally perfect universe could not be created in which evil would have no place.”
If God would willed, He would create all of us like He created Mary, with the privilege of immunity from sin and in this world would be no one commit even a single act of sin.
CCC 310 But why did God not create a world so perfect that no evil could exist in it? With infinite wisdom and goodness God freely willed to create a world in a state of journeying towards its ultimate perfection, 314 through the dramas of evil and sin. – God created the dramas of evil and sin for our benefit.

THE REASON GOD CREATED THE DRAMAS OF EVIL AND SIN.

Life without suffering would produce spoiled brats, not joyful saints.

Our struggle and tribulation while journeying towards our ultimate perfection through the dramas of evil and sin is the cost which in-prints the virtue/ nobility into our souls – the cost of our road to nobility and perfection.

In this world man has to learn by experience and contrast, and to develop by the overcoming of obstacles (Lactantius, “De ira Dei”, xiii, xv in “P.L., VII. St. Augustine “De ordine”, I, vii, n. 18 in “P.L.”, XXXII, 986).
As we see above, we are all sinners because God willed to create us to be sinners for good reason, for the benefit of the entire human race.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Free Will explains;

“God is the author of all causes and effects, but is not the author of sin, because an action ceases to be sin if God wills it to happen. Still God is the cause of sin.
God’s omnipotent providence exercises a complete and perfect control over all events that happen, or will happen, in the universe.”

Continue

Last edited:
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA Divine Providence explains;

Life everlasting promised to us, (Romans 5:21); but unaided we can do nothing to gain it (Rom.7:18-24).

This, the beneficent purpose of an all-seeing Providence, is wholly gratuitous, entirely unmerited (Romans 3:24; 9:11-2).

It extends to all men (Romans 2:10; 1 Timothy 2:4, Romans 11:26 sq.); and by it all God’s dealings with man are regulated (Ephesians 1:11).

It extends to every individual, adapting itself to the needs of each (St. John Chrysostom, “Hom. xxviii in Matt.”, n. 3 in “P.G.”, LVII, 354).

All things are created and governed with a view to man, to the development of his life and his intelligence, and to the satisfaction of his needs (Aristides, “Apol.”, i, v, vi, xv, xvi;).

His wisdom He so orders all events within the universe that the end for which it was created may be realized.

God preserves the universe in being; He acts in and with every creature in each and all its activities.

He directs all, even evil and sin itself, to the final end for which the universe was created.

Evil He converts into good (Genesis 1:20; cf. Psalm 90:10); and suffering He uses as an instrument whereby to train men up as a father traineth up his children (Deuteronomy 8:1-6; Psalm 65:2-10;

Evil, therefore, ministers to God’s design (St. Gregory the Great, op. cit., VI, xxxii in “P.L.”

God is the sole ruler of the world. His will governs all things. He loves all men, desires the salvation of all, and His providence extends to all nation.

Again, from the fact that God has created the universe, it shows that He must also govern it; for just as the contrivances of man demand attention and guidance, so God, as a good workman, must care for His work.

God acts through secondary causes, yet all alike postulate Divine concurrence and receive their powers of operation from Him ; efficacious, in that all things minister to God’s final purpose, a purpose which cannot be frustrated (Contra Gent., III, xciv);

That end is that all creatures should manifest the glory of God, and in particular that man should glorify Him, recognizing in nature the work of His hand, serving Him in obedience and love, and thereby attaining to the full development of his nature and to eternal happiness in God.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Divine Providence

CCC 324 Faith gives us the certainty that God would not permit an evil if he did not cause a good to come from that very evil, by ways that we shall fully know only in eternal life.
CCC 313; St.Thomas More, shortly before his martyrdom, consoled his daughter: “Nothing can come but that that God wills. And I make me very sure that whatsoever that be, seem it never so bad in sight, it shall indeed be the best.” 182

There is nothing outside God’s creating, sustaining and governing will.
God bless

For the animals as well, or only for us humans?
For everything.

The whole cosmos is moving from a state of order to a state of disorder.

Even your car rusts.

Everything.

All creation in the cosmos is effected due to sin. Not merely humanity.

Last edited:
In fact, every time a child disoebeys his parents, he is unconsciously rebelling against God.
I don’t think the Church teaches this. It is a harmful concept. Childhood rebellion against parents is a natural and necessary part of human development so we can grow into self-sufficient adults who can think for themselves.

Actually, developmental psychologists used to think that the so-called rebellious phase of childhood and adolescence known as the identity crisis is a necessary part of growth and that all adolescents experience it. They no longer believe this is the case, and that children/adolescents who do NOT have an identity crisis can grow up just fine without it. Same regarding midlife crisis.

Last edited:
Yes but we are discussing opposition to parenting. That is very different.

Is Original Sin also the reason why there are natural disasters, such as earthquakes, tsunamis or meteor collisions on Earth?
Earthquakes are caused by geological phenomena typically along fault lines. Tsunamis are energy/shock waves converted into waves of water. Meteoric collisions occur when paths of trajectory cross. None have anything to do with original sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back