Thank you for your responses. I’ve just been having a lot of trouble with my faith lately. Pray for me. Please.
Trouble with your faith is often a good thing. It provokes us to dig, to read, to research, to question…to seek Truth. I’ll pray for you, Dan…
…but keep digging…I am confident that you will find Truth in the Catholic Faith, and your faith will be confirmed, not weakened.
I wrestled with this issue several years ago as well; it shook my faith. I prayed, and prayed, dug and dug, researched and read…and found my faith confirmed, and strengthened (significantly, I should add) for it. I chalk it up to ‘growing pains’. We must go through these phases, in order to strengthen our faith–as our faith must be challenged, if it is ever to be true–as with anything in life–we must be challenged, in order to strive. For growth does not occur in peace, comfort, and complacency–but through questioning, praying, being challenged, and striving–IOW–through adversity.
Now, FWIW, here’s how I recon this issue–best illustrated by counter example. Look at ‘Santeria’ (popular in Caribbean area). It is a hybrid–or rather, a variety of Voodoo–veiled in Christian iconography. African slaves took Christian icons, and honored Voodoo gods through them. So an image of Mary, or Joseph, or such, would be given a different name, and worshiped (idolatry) as a Voodoo god.
So, the question becomes, are they Christian, because they worship Christian icons? Or Voodoo, because they worship Voodoo gods?
It becomes rather clear that they are not Christian at all, and at the very least, far more ‘Voodoo’, than Christian–even if it ‘looks’ like Christianity–or rather, looks more Christian (due to the Christian iconography), than Voodoo.
…likewise, even if we take everything as alleged about Pagan symbolism in Christianity (FTSOA–as clearly most of it is garbage)–the point is rather clear, that Catholic Christianity, remains purely Christian, notwithstanding what Pagan influences might be found in it (e.g.–red and green as Christmas colors, were the colors of pagan holiday celebrated on December 25. Is Christmas any less Christian, as a result?).
Christian Faith is defined by what we believe, practice, and preach–not by what colors or symbols we use to practice our faith.
The Catholic Church has preached the Gospel of Christ for 2,000+ years. It preserved the Word of God inviolate, for centuries, and continues to do so. The Eucharist is preached, believed, and worshiped, as the Body and Blood of Christ. Not some symbol of the sun. The icons of the Saints, are representative of the people who lived as Christians–not some pagan gods.
We preach what Christ taught us–Charity (love of God with all your heart, mind and soul, and love of neighbor, as oneself, for the love of God)–and salvation through Christ. That is the core of Christianity; everything else, falls within that framework…
…and the paper thin nexus between paganism, and Christianity, is exposed not only as frail and failing even the slightest of scrutiny…but as the patent, blatant, obvious fraud that it is.
Peace.