OT Books NOT quoted by Jesus

  • Thread starter Thread starter Little_Mary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Little_Mary

Guest
In light of a recent discussion I had about the deuterocanonical books whereby I was told that “Jesus never quoted from them” I am wondering how many other OT books Jesus “never quoted from”

I’ve heard Song of Songs, and I think Eccliastes, but I’m not sure.

Does anyone know how many OT books NOT quoted from by our dear Lord?

Thanks…🙂

P.S. I do have a list of references showing that the deuterocanonicals were referenced if not directly quoted.

I’m really just curious about which OT books from which our dear Lord did NOT quote…
 
In light of a recent discussion I had about the deuterocanonical books whereby I was told that “Jesus never quoted from them” I am wondering how many other OT books Jesus “never quoted from”

I’ve heard Song of Songs, and I think Eccliastes, but I’m not sure.

Does anyone know how many OT books NOT quoted from by our dear Lord?

Thanks…🙂

P.S. I do have a list of references showing that the deuterocanonicals were referenced if not directly quoted.

I’m really just curious about which OT books from which our dear Lord did NOT quote…
If we look at just the four Gospels, then ten of the OT books weren’t quoted.

mysite.verizon.net/rgjones3/Septuagint/spexecsum.htm
 
In light of a recent discussion I had about the deuterocanonical books whereby I was told that “Jesus never quoted from them” I am wondering how many other OT books Jesus “never quoted from”

I’ve heard Song of Songs, and I think Eccliastes, but I’m not sure.

Does anyone know how many OT books NOT quoted from by our dear Lord?

Thanks…🙂

P.S. I do have a list of references showing that the deuterocanonicals were referenced if not directly quoted.

I’m really just curious about which OT books from which our dear Lord did NOT quote…
He never quoted from them in the passages that are quoted in the Bible.

He may have quoted them (I’ll bet He did) in statements not recorded in the Bible 😉

[BIBLEDRB]John 21:24-25[/BIBLEDRB]
 
As a flip side to this, Saint Paul (Titus 1:12) quotes 6th century BC Greek poet-philosopher Epimenides, from the poem “Cretica”, regarding the nature of the inhabitants of Crete.

The letter of Jude (Jude 14-16) quotes from the non-canonical, non-inspired book of Enoch regarding prophecy.

Combine this with the fact that the authors of many OT books, among them Psalms and Proverbs, are simply unknown, and the Church simply must be trusted to determine its inspiration. The title “A Psalm of David” was used as a literary device to give credibility to an author’s work.

The exclusion of the entire Deuterocanon was little more than the reformers’ ego flaring up, and seems to be the introduction of the concept of cherry-picking scripture. They rejected the Church councils, but made themselves into a council by their own actions in excluding scripture.
 
As a flip side to this, Saint Paul (Titus 1:12) quotes 6th century BC Greek poet-philosopher Epimenides, from the poem “Cretica”, regarding the nature of the inhabitants of Crete.

The letter of Jude (Jude 14-16) quotes from the non-canonical, non-inspired book of Enoch regarding prophecy.

Combine this with the fact that the authors of many OT books, among them Psalms and Proverbs, are simply unknown, and the Church simply must be trusted to determine its inspiration. The title “A Psalm of David” was used as a literary device to give credibility to an author’s work.

The exclusion of the entire Deuterocanon was little more than the reformers’ egos flaring up, and seems to be the introduction of the concept of cherry-picking scripture. They rejected the Church councils, but made themselves into a council by their own actions in excluding scripture.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top