F
Friar_David_O.Carm
Guest
If it even exisits.Let’s see how long THIS lasts
hopefully, the bishop will be retiring soon…
All we have is a report that someone heard something on the radio.
If it even exisits.Let’s see how long THIS lasts
hopefully, the bishop will be retiring soon…
With no mention of it being Catholic.If it even exisits.
All we have is a report that someone heard something on the radio.
dachsiemom2;6290698:
I doubted that it was, but the way you worded your OP it made it sound like this was a Catholic Church: “The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass.” Keep in mind that Protestant denominations do NOT offer the Mass, nor do they refer to their worship services As “the Mass”.Are you certain this is a Catholic Church? Sounds like a Protestant thing to me. If a new church, makes me think isn’t Catholic.
Tell me about it! I was a Protestant for a little over a year, way back in my late teens, and I couldn’t leave it fast enough. That’s a discussion for another thread, but suffice it to say I’ll be damned if I just roll over and accept the Protestantization of our timeless and beautiful Faith, given to us straight from the Lord Himself.I agree!
I absolutely HATE it when people suggest that we do things like Protestants do it, or for that matter, anything unlike what we’ve done at ‘home’
Yes; I recall hearing from my sister-in-law about a “Catholic” friend of hers in college who only attends Mass on Holy Days but not on Sundays - as if Sundays are not also Holy Days of Obligation as well.We should encourage are members (Catholic) to receive the sacrament of Confession, and we should encourage them to meet the Days of Obligation (including Sundays)![]()
Indeed! There are many Protestant sects with female ministers and all the funky stuff people want to inject into the Church, and they can’t fill their pews, either.We need our priest to remain unmarried and keep women from becoming priests.
For every one who denies these ideas: when we did these things before, freely, cheerfully, our churches were FULL. If you don’t do it, the people in your seats may as well go around the corner to the Protestant Church. They have air conditioning and softer seats!
If we are just like them, what’s the point of being part of our ‘family’?![]()
I don’t think people should wear pjs to church either.acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2008/06/archbishop-capalla-on-mass-dress-code.htm
catholicapologetics.info/morality/modesty/dress.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_etiquette
It certainly isn’t proper dress for Mass. Pyjamas are proper to bed. It is unnecessary laziness and lack of respect for God and Liturgy to wear pyjamas to Mass. It trivializes the Eucharist, and one wouldn’t even go to the store or visit a neighbour in pyjamas.
And the OP asked if there was something in the bible about casual dress at church, which in itself sounded like a Protestant type of question, without referring to Church teachings.I doubted that it was, but the way you worded your OP it made it sound like this was a Catholic Church: “The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass.” Keep in mind that Protestant denominations do NOT offer the Mass, nor do they refer to their worship services As “the Mass”.
The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb. Now, there is a two-fold garment that we should wear. The outside should be neat and clean in appearance. You don’t have to buy an Armani suit; the George collection from Wal-Mart is just as neat and clean. The interior garment of the soul should also be neat and clean. That is why there is the Sacrament of Penance.11 And the king went in to see the guests: and **he saw there a man who had not on a wedding garment. **12 And he saith to him: Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? But he was silent. 13 Then the king said to the waiters: Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the exterior darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.
one can easily make the case that by “proper wedding garment”, Jesus was not talking about clothes but dressing our hearts and souls properly to receive HimWell, since no one has provided any scriptural citation for the proper dress, here is the account of St. Matthew where Jesus tells the parable of the king’s wedding guests:
The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb. Now, there is a two-fold garment that we should wear. The outside should be neat and clean in appearance. You don’t have to buy an Armani suit; the George collection from Wal-Mart is just as neat and clean. The interior garment of the soul should also be neat and clean. That is why there is the Sacrament of Penance.
With all due respect, I don’t think that you read my explanation, not even the second half of what I wrote:one can easily make the case that by “proper wedding garment”, Jesus was not talking about clothes but dressing our hearts and souls properly to receive Him
as i mentioned in my post earlier, there’s nothing an Armani suit can do about a sinful heart
As a child, I was taught that Sunday best meant Sunday best. It does not have to be the most expensive thing at the Mall, but, it needs to be the best that we have, whether it’s from Wal-Mart, Macy’s or Saks. And, as I wrote earlier, the interior should at least try to match what is on the outside.The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb. Now, there is a two-fold garment that we should wear. The outside should be neat and clean in appearance. You don’t have to buy an Armani suit; the George collection from Wal-Mart is just as neat and clean. The interior garment of the soul should also be neat and clean. That is why there is the Sacrament of Penance.
Are you saying they are positively encouraged to wear pajamas, or that they are positively encouraged to come, even if what they have to wear is pajamas? There is a big difference, especially since “pajama pants” may be understood to be a kind of street clothing, albeit casual street clothing.I was listening to the radio today an I heard something that I wanted to share with you. It is kind of disturbing, but funny in a certain way. They were advertising a new church that has recently opened up in the Akron, Ohio area. The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass. Then I started to picture a pastor wearing pajamas in church and at the same time trying to preach about God, this just can’t be right. I know there is no way anyone should ever wear pajamas to church, but is there something in the bible against dressing really casually in church?
I can’t disagree more.I wear clean blue jeans and a clean and pressed button up shirt to the Extraordinary Mass. I don’t own a suit right now. At our TLM there are folks in $500 suits, $25 sweat suits, and everything in between.
My best friend used to wear his sandals, no socks, and clean jeans with a golf shirt. I agree we need to look presentable when attending Mass of any kind, but I don’t get over hung up on the suit and tie thing much. If that’s what you want wear, then cool.
Everything is so ridiculous nowadays.I was listening to the radio today an I heard something that I wanted to share with you. It is kind of disturbing, but funny in a certain way. They were advertising a new church that has recently opened up in the Akron, Ohio area. The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass. Then I started to picture a pastor wearing pajamas in church and at the same time trying to preach about God, this just can’t be right. I know there is no way anyone should ever wear pajamas to church, but is there something in the bible against dressing really casually in church?
No. It is more than something on the radio. There have been announcements in the bulletin of the local Catholic church to that effect.If it even exisits.
All we have is a report that someone heard something on the radio.
Everything is so ridiculous nowadays.
I would say a pertinent quote.“You will be disabused of the myth that conservatives are fixed in some time warp that requires them to oppose all change. Rather, they believe in change as reform, undertaken with prudence–‘informed by the experience, knowledge, and traditions of society, tailored for a specific purpose, and accomplished through a constitutional construct that ensures thoughtful deliberation by the community. Change unconstrained by prudence produces unpredictable consequences, threatening ordered liberty with chaos and ultimately despotism, and placing at risk the very principles the Conservative holds dear.’”
–David Limbaugh
You have seen these announcements?No. It is more than something on the radio. There have been announcements in the bulletin of the local Catholic church to that effect.