Pajama Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter Roblox84
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to laugh at this.
Just yesterday, I asked my nephew if he even OWNED pants that weren’t pajama pants. The last four times I’ve seen him the pants he was wearing were very obviously of the pajama nature.
And just the other day, I saw a girl at the mall in pajama pants and ugg boots. Seriously? You went through the trouble and cost of ugg boots, but couldn’t trouble yourself to wear actual pants?
Then again, I usually have baby spit up on my clothes, so I’m not really one to talk! 🤷
 
Absolutely disgusting :nope: let’s go make reparations for their disrespect 😦
 
If it even exisits.

All we have is a report that someone heard something on the radio.
With no mention of it being Catholic. 👍

The reported never reported that the radio ever reported it was Catholic. For all we know, it’s some group of folx sitting around on milk crates in a park. It may not even be tax exempt. :rolleyes:
 
dachsiemom2;6290698:
Are you certain this is a Catholic Church? Sounds like a Protestant thing to me. If a new church, makes me think isn’t Catholic.
I doubted that it was, but the way you worded your OP it made it sound like this was a Catholic Church: “The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass.” Keep in mind that Protestant denominations do NOT offer the Mass, nor do they refer to their worship services As “the Mass”.
 
I agree!👍

I absolutely HATE it when people suggest that we do things like Protestants do it, or for that matter, anything unlike what we’ve done at ‘home’
Tell me about it! I was a Protestant for a little over a year, way back in my late teens, and I couldn’t leave it fast enough. That’s a discussion for another thread, but suffice it to say I’ll be damned if I just roll over and accept the Protestantization of our timeless and beautiful Faith, given to us straight from the Lord Himself.
We should encourage are members (Catholic) to receive the sacrament of Confession, and we should encourage them to meet the Days of Obligation (including Sundays) 😉
Yes; I recall hearing from my sister-in-law about a “Catholic” friend of hers in college who only attends Mass on Holy Days but not on Sundays - as if Sundays are not also Holy Days of Obligation as well.

No wonder Western civilization has no moral fiber. People can’t even discipline themselves enough to attend Mass once a week, to sacrifice a measly hour or two of their oh-so precious time to the Lord. If we cannot manage that, we cannot manage the awesome task of civilization-building.
We need our priest to remain unmarried and keep women from becoming priests. 🙂

For every one who denies these ideas: when we did these things before, freely, cheerfully, our churches were FULL. If you don’t do it, the people in your seats may as well go around the corner to the Protestant Church. They have air conditioning and softer seats!
If we are just like them, what’s the point of being part of our ‘family’? :confused:
Indeed! There are many Protestant sects with female ministers and all the funky stuff people want to inject into the Church, and they can’t fill their pews, either.

Yet people want to adopt more failed ideas instead of just sticking with what has been proven to work. No wonder the Church is suffering in the modern age.
 
acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2008/06/archbishop-capalla-on-mass-dress-code.htm

catholicapologetics.info/morality/modesty/dress.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_etiquette

It certainly isn’t proper dress for Mass. Pyjamas are proper to bed. It is unnecessary laziness and lack of respect for God and Liturgy to wear pyjamas to Mass. It trivializes the Eucharist, and one wouldn’t even go to the store or visit a neighbour in pyjamas.
I don’t think people should wear pjs to church either.
HOWEVER, that said, our clothing today is a far cry from what they wore 2000 yrs ago. I’d feel safe in saying that the robes of the early church would be similar to what I wear to bed these days…
 
i don’t fully agree with the pyjama thing, but i’m also not too big on dressing up

i get the message. an armani suit won’t change anything or hide anything if you have a sinful heart. but at the same time, a level of decency should prevail
 
I doubted that it was, but the way you worded your OP it made it sound like this was a Catholic Church: “The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass.” Keep in mind that Protestant denominations do NOT offer the Mass, nor do they refer to their worship services As “the Mass”.
And the OP asked if there was something in the bible about casual dress at church, which in itself sounded like a Protestant type of question, without referring to Church teachings.
 
Well, since no one has provided any scriptural citation for the proper dress, here is the account of St. Matthew where Jesus tells the parable of the king’s wedding guests:
11 And the king went in to see the guests: and **he saw there a man who had not on a wedding garment. **12 And he saith to him: Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? But he was silent. 13 Then the king said to the waiters: Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the exterior darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.
The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb. Now, there is a two-fold garment that we should wear. The outside should be neat and clean in appearance. You don’t have to buy an Armani suit; the George collection from Wal-Mart is just as neat and clean. The interior garment of the soul should also be neat and clean. That is why there is the Sacrament of Penance.
 
Bravo, benedictgal! 👍

Modern Christians do not understand that the Lord Himself actually has standards of behavior that we must all adhere to. Modern folk do not like the idea of standards; our culture has been so thoroughly liberalized that any talk of standards is seen as oppressiveness or anti-individualism or whatever nonsense.

Sad to see how deeply the laity have been affected by this 😦
 
Well, since no one has provided any scriptural citation for the proper dress, here is the account of St. Matthew where Jesus tells the parable of the king’s wedding guests:

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb. Now, there is a two-fold garment that we should wear. The outside should be neat and clean in appearance. You don’t have to buy an Armani suit; the George collection from Wal-Mart is just as neat and clean. The interior garment of the soul should also be neat and clean. That is why there is the Sacrament of Penance.
one can easily make the case that by “proper wedding garment”, Jesus was not talking about clothes but dressing our hearts and souls properly to receive Him

as i mentioned in my post earlier, there’s nothing an Armani suit can do about a sinful heart
 
one can easily make the case that by “proper wedding garment”, Jesus was not talking about clothes but dressing our hearts and souls properly to receive Him

as i mentioned in my post earlier, there’s nothing an Armani suit can do about a sinful heart
With all due respect, I don’t think that you read my explanation, not even the second half of what I wrote:
The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb. Now, there is a two-fold garment that we should wear. The outside should be neat and clean in appearance. You don’t have to buy an Armani suit; the George collection from Wal-Mart is just as neat and clean. The interior garment of the soul should also be neat and clean. That is why there is the Sacrament of Penance.
As a child, I was taught that Sunday best meant Sunday best. It does not have to be the most expensive thing at the Mall, but, it needs to be the best that we have, whether it’s from Wal-Mart, Macy’s or Saks. And, as I wrote earlier, the interior should at least try to match what is on the outside.
 
I was listening to the radio today an I heard something that I wanted to share with you. It is kind of disturbing, but funny in a certain way. They were advertising a new church that has recently opened up in the Akron, Ohio area. The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass. Then I started to picture a pastor wearing pajamas in church and at the same time trying to preach about God, this just can’t be right. I know there is no way anyone should ever wear pajamas to church, but is there something in the bible against dressing really casually in church?
Are you saying they are positively encouraged to wear pajamas, or that they are positively encouraged to come, even if what they have to wear is pajamas? There is a big difference, especially since “pajama pants” may be understood to be a kind of street clothing, albeit casual street clothing.

If pajama pants are really the best you have, then by all means come in pajama pants. I won’t argue with that. *“My brothers, show no partiality as you adhere to the faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ. For if a man with gold rings on his fingers and in fine clothes comes into your assembly, and a poor person in shabby clothes also comes in, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say, “Sit here, please,” while you say to the poor one, “Stand there,” or “Sit at my feet,” have you not made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil designs?” *James 2:1-4

But even as St. James writes this, it must be noticed, he assumes out of hand that someone showing up to Mass in shabby clothing must be too poor to afford better. Of course it ought to be a priority, then, to obtain garments more suitable for Mass, considering one’s means, as soon as one comes by some income that is in any way disposable. Remember, too: “Sunday best” have historically been garments that are only worn for Sundays, weddings, and the like. These might easily be expected to last for years. If someone looks down on you because you show up every week in the same dress or the same suit, that is their problem. For neither are we to be the slaves of fashion: “It is my wish, then, that in every place the men should pray, lifting up holy hands, without anger or argument. Similarly, (too,) women should adorn themselves with proper conduct, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hairstyles and gold ornaments, or pearls, or expensive clothes, but rather, as befits women who profess reverence for God, with good deeds.” 1 Tim. 2:8-10

As for actively encouraging people to come to Mass in their overnight clothes, that is nothing other than baffling. I cannot imgine what could possibly be the motive for such nonsense. I have to hope that they are encouraging people to come, come what may, even if one doesn’t own any “Sunday best”, and not that anyone would encourage Catholics to leave their Sunday best at home!
 
I wear clean blue jeans and a clean and pressed button up shirt to the Extraordinary Mass. I don’t own a suit right now. At our TLM there are folks in $500 suits, $25 sweat suits, and everything in between.

My best friend used to wear his sandals, no socks, and clean jeans with a golf shirt. I agree we need to look presentable when attending Mass of any kind, but I don’t get over hung up on the suit and tie thing much. If that’s what you want wear, then cool.
I can’t disagree more.

So you don’t own a suit. Do you own pants that are not denim?

One doesn’t need “suits,” ties, or expensive clothes. Even homeless people often have a presentable outfit for the purposes strictly of interviewing. (Homeless projects often provide these people, or loan to them, presentable outfits for the purpose of hopefully getting a job.)

I was appalled on Sunday last, attending a N.O. church of mostly families. In most cases, the children looked better than their parents! The sea of raunchy denim was quite a statement to me. While I would not call this a “rich” parish per se, it is also not a poor one, nor one heavily populated by manual laborers. (That’s more understandable: don’t own anything except denim.)

I know for a fact (I worked at the parish not long ago) that the jobs most people there have, are jobs that at the very least require Business Casual dress. B.C. is perfectly acceptable to wear to Mass; looking around at other parishes, that is indeed what most people wear, at least in anything except very conservative/traditional parishes. I don’t understand why anyone would deliberately wear more informal attire – not to mention denim, which is associated with both manual labor and the ultra-casual – to Mass. To me, the statement is: Mass is less important than work, and no more important than recreation.

A pair of clean khakis and a clean pressed shirt I think would be acceptable. I wouldn’t wear the equivalent of anything less than that – guys or gals – unless I were literally stranded somewhere, had no change of clothes, etc. It should be the tiny percentage exception to see jeans at Sunday Mass especially. It’s also terrible role-modeling on the part of parents.

In the above parish, possibly the poorest person when I was working there was the RCIA Director; yet even she managed to wear actual pants, or skirt, to Mass. I never once saw her wear jeans on the job or at any Mass. She was subsisting on a part-time salary and may still be.
 
I was listening to the radio today an I heard something that I wanted to share with you. It is kind of disturbing, but funny in a certain way. They were advertising a new church that has recently opened up in the Akron, Ohio area. The church is so laid back that people are encouraged to wear their pajamas to mass. Then I started to picture a pastor wearing pajamas in church and at the same time trying to preach about God, this just can’t be right. I know there is no way anyone should ever wear pajamas to church, but is there something in the bible against dressing really casually in church?
Everything is so ridiculous nowadays.
 
If it even exisits.

All we have is a report that someone heard something on the radio.
No. It is more than something on the radio. There have been announcements in the bulletin of the local Catholic church to that effect.
 
Everything is so ridiculous nowadays.
“You will be disabused of the myth that conservatives are fixed in some time warp that requires them to oppose all change. Rather, they believe in change as reform, undertaken with prudence–‘informed by the experience, knowledge, and traditions of society, tailored for a specific purpose, and accomplished through a constitutional construct that ensures thoughtful deliberation by the community. Change unconstrained by prudence produces unpredictable consequences, threatening ordered liberty with chaos and ultimately despotism, and placing at risk the very principles the Conservative holds dear.’”
–David Limbaugh
I would say a pertinent quote.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top