G
graciesings
Guest
I have a hard time understanding the doctrine of papal infallibility. It seems to me that history disproves that. Were the Borgia and Medici popes really infallible… wouldn’t they have behaved better if they were? I’m also struggling to understand the idea that the church is always correct.
Also, the line of reasoning used to prove that the pope is infallible bothers me. It goes in circles… How do we know the pope is infallible? Church councils say so. How do we know the church councils are correct? Pope so-and-so said so. But how do we know the pope is infallible? The Catechism says so. How do we know the Catechism is correct? The church wrote it. So how do we know the church is always correct? Well… the catechism says so, and so did the church, and so did a pope.
I’m coming back to the same question. How do we know?
Also, the line of reasoning used to prove that the pope is infallible bothers me. It goes in circles… How do we know the pope is infallible? Church councils say so. How do we know the church councils are correct? Pope so-and-so said so. But how do we know the pope is infallible? The Catechism says so. How do we know the Catechism is correct? The church wrote it. So how do we know the church is always correct? Well… the catechism says so, and so did the church, and so did a pope.
I’m coming back to the same question. How do we know?