Parents role in a situation

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosejmj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Live by rigid rules and you may well find yourself contemplating the outcomes on your own.
All the more reason for practicing Catholics to “be there” for each other (including making themselves available for marriage to each other!) so that they don’t have to weather the storms alone. But that is the topic of a separate thread.
 
I was wondering the same thing. If the parents act in too heavy handed a manner and cause the child to move out, the child will then continue to do what they were doing before but with the parents no longer having any influence over their child at all. In all likelihood, this kind of action will just drive the child further away from the faith tradition in which they were raised.
Well, Christ did make reference to the fact that He came to bring division, and that family members would be set against each other (not that He wanted to do that on purpose, just that being a Christian would be met with opposition, even from family members).
 
You don’t see any difference between someone who occasionally has premarital sex with her boyfriend and someone who terrorizes black people by burning crosses on their lawns or thinks that they should be lynched?
I could agree that there is indeed a difference, because according to St. Paul formication was worse because in fornication one physically unites with a prostitute. Add to that the fact that Our Lady stated that more people will go to hell due to “sins of the flesh” (code for “sexual sin”) than any other sin.

All are mortal sins that rob the soul of sanctifying grace needed to enter heaven.
 
That conversation is not happening. Too bad. Why isn’t it?
A lot of issues like this could be solved if the two sides would have an honest conversation in which they would all listen to each other and respect each other and sincerely try to understand the other person’s perspective and all be willing to compromise a little. That would be true whether this is a conversation between a parent and child or between a man/woman and their spouse or between any other individuals who are trying to resolve a dispute or misunderstanding. All too often, people aren’t really willing to honestly and sincerely listen to each other and tend instead to talk past each other and to dig in their heels. And I’m sure that I’m guilty of this, too. It’s probably human nature.
 
Last edited:
You would be, as you have explained a few times now, effectively telling your daughter that she is not the type of person with whom you would want to share a home.
Again, in a loving family, this would not be a sudden change of course. A child would know what the house rules are from the time they reach the age of reason. They would know that mom and dad expect X, Y and Z. That if, when they are of age, they do not want to abide by the house rules, that they are welcome to find a new place to live.

I would have never in a million years have expected my parents to allow me to live at home while I was having an immoral relationship. I obeyed their rules until I moved out. It was not a severing of our relationship, I came home for family dinner, to use the washer, they came over to my place for dinner.

After I had lived on my own for a while, job change meant I needed to move back in with parents. While I was back under their roof, I honored their rules. Again, not with any animosity, but with respect and love.
 
I was wondering the same thing. If the parents act in too heavy handed a manner and cause the child to move out, the child will then continue to do what they were doing before but with the parents no longer having any influence over their child at all. In all likelihood, this kind of action will just drive the child further away from the faith tradition in which they were raised.
The child has already moved away from the faith tradition in which he or she was raised.

The child has already rejected the influence of the parents.
 
Last edited:
You only asked for one. Do you want more? And you never said anything about family being involved or households either.

The answers you get can only be in response the questions you ask. To save you scrolling up, here’s what you asked for (and received two responses):

‘I’m trying to find something that some people in history have thought is fine but you actually think is a mortal sin.’

Genocide and slavery seem to fit the bill.
In the context, you’re kind of saying that this is what it would take in terms of off-property conduct before you would ask an adult in your home to consider that they either need to change their habitual conduct or else start their own household. Otherwise, stay sober, don’t put smoke in the air, pull your weight with the chores and if you’re a relative it is mi casa es tu casa.

Is that true? Or is there no off-property conduct that would lead you to have that kind of a conversation with an adult child? Mind you, I had siblings who moved out in their early 20s and before they even thought about marriage and others who lived as adults at the home place until they were in their early 30s. (And yes, they had full-time jobs, because my parents had the boundary that if you were not travelling or in college, you had roughly two weeks to either get a job or start your own household.)

My brother had a young relative in the house who was given the “get a job, get into school or get your own place” rule, and he got his own place. He supports himself, comes for holidays and it works out fine.
 
Last edited:
Our Lady stated that more people will go to hell due to “sins of the flesh” (code for “sexual sin”) than any other sin.
No, it is code for “the Flesh” as in: the World, the Flesh and the Devil. She did not say sex and there is no reason to conclude she only meant sex.
 
Last edited:
Immoral sexual behavior is destroying families and true, loving relationships between men and women in the West. Until people learn to control themselves, the CDC will continue to issue warnings about the current STD epidemic. Aside from illegal drugs, and the bad/wrong push to legalize marijuana, wrong sexual behavior ruins lives and allows for no permanence. And often, no children.
Actually, I’m going to say that for the purposes of this thread, my point is that serious disagreement between adults in a household is sufficient to ask to split off into separate households. To say that people should not care what other adults in the househood do unless it is something like smoking, being drunk or high, failing to do one’s fair share of the chores or something else directly experienced by other members of the household, the other members of the household have no right to say anything about it.

I simply disagree with that. I think that people have the right to choose to live in a house with like-minded people. They have the right to decide what is an imposition and what isn’t. If your parents even decline to have you as a housemate just because they have been waiting 25 years to have the house to themselves, that’s up to them. If you are adult enough to decide your own moral code, you’re old enough to find your own way in the world and set up your own household with those who agree with you sufficiently for you to have a sense of peace in your own home.

If I ever tell my children they need to find a way to move out and support themselves, it is not necessarily a judgement on their morals. Other reasons could be sufficient, and under most circumstances I don’t see that as a problem. Except under the most extreme circumstances, after all, I wouldn’t expect that they will have some duty to take me in, if I am alone in the world and decide I want to live with one of them.

Robert Frost wrote:
‘Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.’

[ … formatting … ] ‘I should have called it
Something you somehow haven’t to deserve.’


I’m not talking about having morals that are sufficient to “deserve” to live at home. I’m talking about shared values being one of the foundations of life that is a common life rather than a co-existence at the same address. When you are at home because you have to be there, you still have an obligation to find a common life there. The head or heads of the household do have added authority to define the boundaries of what that is going to look like…and a “good” home life can look many different ways. What would be heaven for some would be purgatory for others. I’m saying Mom and Dad aren’t obliged to live in purgatory in order to give other adults in the house such a high amount of autonomy.
 
Last edited:
Flesh has multiple meanings.
Your meaning emphasizes a narrow interpretation to the exclusion of the broader interpretation. I’m not saying that sexual sins are not sins of the flesh. I’m saying they are not the only sins of the flesh.
 
This could be a season of much maturing if she allows it to unfold in her life. It would help her to grasp the reality she has chosen to live with her parents and that is not the same as her living alone.

Her parents have the right to set certain boundaries in the situation; it is their home.

If she wants complete autonomy and no parental feedback, living on her own is the right choice. Few parents are going to put up with their adult daughter forcing her morality down their throats, either.
 
Last edited:
I’m not talking about having morals that are sufficient to “deserve” to live at home. I’m talking about shared values being one of the foundations of life that is a common life rather than a co-existence at the same address. When you are at home because you have to be there, you still have an obligation to find a common life there. The head or heads of the household do have added authority to define the boundaries of what that is going to look like…and a “good” home life can look many different ways. What would be heaven for some would be purgatory for others. I’m saying Mom and Dad aren’t obliged to live in purgatory in order to give other adults in the house such a high amount of autonomy.
If the parents are extremely concerned about their adult daughter sleeping over at her boyfriend’s from time to time, would they be less concerned and sleep better knowing that she’s still doing this while living at her own place or has moved in with her boyfriend instead of remaining in their own home? Would it be less of a “purgatory” for them that way?

It seems to me that adults can live happily together as long as they don’t pry too much into affairs that aren’t any of their business.
 
Last edited:
It’s no one’s business until those who don’t do want to do the right thing get in trouble. That is always the problem. Allowing “mistakes” is irresponsible, whether it’s dealing with a friend or family.
How would you propose that an adult family member prevent another adult family member from making “mistakes”? Unless something criminal is going on, there’s not much that anyone can do, except, as many in this thread have suggested, forcing the person they think is making “mistakes” to move out of their home. Or they could shun them, I suppose, and hope that that will make them change their behavior.
 
Last edited:
As an adult, you are free to do as you wish. However, I do not think any caring parent would not provide advise or guidance to their children , even adult ones.

I have not met anybody who could not have used a good advice given to him or her, even more so, in regard to morals and ethics.
 
40.png
Thorolfr:
the parents also need to show some respect for their children.
Should parents respect the right of their children to commit mortal sin ?
Apart from voicing their disapproval and perhaps forcing an adult child they think is sinning to live elsewhere besides their own home, what other options do parents have? Most of us don’t have any control over the sins of other adults unless the sins are a crime.
 
Last edited:
It seems to me that adults can live happily together as long as they don’t pry too much into affairs that aren’t any of their business.
What the parents do isn’t your business and yet…
 
It’s not like the rules are: I turn 18, I cut off all communications with my parents and I go out and sin because I “think” I’m an adult.
That is indeed the rule from a legal standpoint. Once someone turns 18, they are free to move away from home and cut off all communications with their parents if they want because they are legally an adult.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top