P
PetraG
Guest
I think that what is important is that all the adults in a given house agree on what is their business and what isn’t. I wouldn’t expect my children to live in my house and know that I go off and sleep with someone I’m not married to. You don’t think that is any of your business. I would say that the important thing is that the expectations for all the adults in the house is agreeable to all of them.If the parents are extremely concerned about their adult daughter sleeping over at her boyfriend’s from time to time, would they be less concerned and sleep better knowing that she’s still doing this while living at her own place or has moved in with her boyfriend instead of remaining in their own home? Would it be less of a “purgatory” for them that way?
It seems to me that adults can live happily together as long as they don’t pry too much into affairs that aren’t any of their business.
The point is that if my child wants her life to be her business, I would actually be more comfortable if she were heading her own household and wasn’t a member of mine, yes. It isn’t a matter of judging her. If she got pregnant and had to move home because she could not manage her own household, I’d take her in and she wouldn’t get questions about her situation. I just want to live in a house where we are in agreement about the life we’re living together in that house. I don’t think that is what everyone has to think. Some parents would be more interested in having their own privacy about what they’ve been out doing when they’re not home, even with other adults in the household. I think both attitudes are reasonable, actually. I don’t think someone should be considered a terrible parent who has rejected their child if they’d find rejection of their values a deal-breaker in an adult roommate, that’s all. I don’t think the expectation of being mutually answerable to each other is demeaning, though.
On the flip side, if my children want a household that is more strict than mine–maybe one where everyone is a strict vegetarian and doesn’t ever fly in airplanes or something, I don’t know–they’re free to go off and set up that kind of household for themselves, too. That’s what adults do.
Last edited: