Parents role in a situation

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosejmj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the entire thread. Something that strikes me is, where is the respect for privacy???

If my 19 year old daughter living at home goes out for the night and says she will be back in the morning, I don’t ask questions I don’t want the answers to. It is easy. She is entitled to her privacy. I am entitled to only know what I want to know. I never discussed my pre-marital sex habits with my parents. I knew not to come home at 3 AM and wake the whole house up, though, when they had to get up and go to work in the morning.

The point is, daughter could be staying at her girlfriends house, she could be staying at the library prepping for exams, and yes, she could be having pre-marital sex with the boyfriend. Not my business. And certainly not something I would let stand in the way of a healthy relationship between us.

Activity in the house and under the roof is one thing. Set the boundaries. I wouldn’t advise trying to do the same for a grown adult when they are out and about. Afterall, the saying is “Under my ROOF…”.
If the consequences are something that will affect you - an unplanned grandchild that you will have to help financially support, or a drug or alcohol habit that will lead to your safety or wellbeing being put at risk - then you SHOULD be asking questions and wanting the answers!
 
You compare joining the KKK with having a normal sex life by secular standards?
No, I am looking at each action by Catholic standards. Why would I look at one action with one standard, and the other action with a different standard and then compare the two?
 
What neither of them did was ask their parents for handouts or do a PhD in Egyptology.
Sometimes children don’t have to ask for their parents’ help to get an education. It’s the parents who offer to help their children because they love them and want them to succeed in life. If the parents are well enough off to be able to help, there’s certainly nothing wrong with that. I have copies of a number of deeds from early 18th century Massachusetts in which members of my family transferred property to their sons “For and in consideration of the fatherly love and affection which I do bear toward my loving son.” They did this because they wanted to get their sons off to a good start in life by setting them up with a farm. Lots of parents still help their children out for “love and affection.”
 
It probably happens, but I do not know a single person who lived with their parents during their post-graduate work. Some did marry and have children. Their spouses worked and they often took out loans, too.

The thread is about whether or not somebody ought to be living according to their parents’ rule of life while still living with their parents, after all.
I lived with my parents for the whole time I was in graduate school which was quite a long time. It might not be a common thing, but then most other graduate students I knew didn’t have parents who lived within easy commuting distance of the university they attended. And as to whether I had to live according to my parents’ “rule of life” while I was living with them, I’m not sure what their “rule of life” was. I don’t think that my parents ever had any real rules that they told me about when I was growing up, probably because I was always a pretty easy child who rarely caused my parents any problems. I didn’t drink, use drugs, use foul language, stay out late, get into fights, cause disturbances in any of my classes, etc. Like the title of the classic account of “growing up gay in America” by Andrew Tobias which was first published in 1973, I was “The Best Little Boy in the World”. Tobias explains in his book that his parents praised him when he was a child as “the best little boy in the world” because he was always studious, polite, well behaved, and deferred to elders. That sounds like me, although I was a little bit spacey sometimes because I have ADHD (Predominantly Inattentive Type).
 
Last edited:
This has been an entertaining thread!

Some of you are comparing the OP’s friend to an adult roommate or another adult member of the household. Keep in mind however, roommates pay rent. I would agree that most roommates don’t keep tabs on what each is doing outside the house, and certainly one doesn’t owe her roommate an explanation of where she spent the night. BUT the young lady in this thread is not a roommate. She is supported by her parents. As such, parents are not yet treating her as an adult - they are treating her like a teenage daughter, and they want their daughter to lead a moral lifestyle - not at all unreasonable.

That said, this girl would have loved to have MY parents instead - there were no rules, and my mom would have had no problem with sex before marriage even before age 18, hah!
 
Last edited:
40.png
LilyM:
What neither of them did was ask their parents for handouts or do a PhD in Egyptology.
Sometimes children don’t have to ask for their parents’ help to get an education. It’s the parents who offer to help their children because they love them and want them to succeed in life. If the parents are well enough off to be able to help, there’s certainly nothing wrong with that. I have copies of a number of deeds from early 18th century Massachusetts in which members of my family transferred property to their sons “For and in consideration of the fatherly love and affection which I do bear toward my loving son.” They did this because they wanted to get their sons off to a good start in life by setting them up with a farm. Lots of parents still help their children out for “love and affection.”
True. And there are just as many wills where children are cut off without a cent for things along the lines of entering a relationship which was deemed inappropriate. And so plenty had the same dilemma than as now.- deciding whether the relationship with bf or gf was important enough to risk parental disapproval or not. Not an enviable position but it doesn’t make the stricter parents necessarily wrong.
 
Can you think of another comparison? Something that most rational people, regardless of their religion or non-religion, find to be immoral?
 
an unplanned grandchild that you will have to help financially support,
This sort of thinking is rather brutal. Please, do not say these things to your children, I have seen many women choose abortion because their parents expressed exactly these sentiments.
 
A number of PhD programs can be as long as 7 or 8 years of full-time graduate level study after finishing an undergraduate degree (the PhD program in my department at university was at least 7 years). This means that such people won’t graduate until they are about 29 or 30. And graduate students in those kinds of programs usually don’t make a living wage while they’re in school. Hardly any of the PhD students in my department were married and I doubt that any of them were still virgins.
My husband saved sex for marriage & we married while he was still working on his PhD. Sure we lived on a shoestring. So? We were young & happy to make it work. We even got pregnant right away. It was an adventure but I wouldn’t trade it for anything!
 
40.png
LilyM:
an unplanned grandchild that you will have to help financially support,
This sort of thinking is rather brutal. Please, do not say these things to your children, I have seen many women choose abortion because their parents expressed exactly these sentiments.
There are a lot of people in this thread who seem to worry that parents might end up spending any money to help their adult children (i.e. in getting an education, etc.) or their grandchildren. I never asked for financial help, but my parents were always very generous nonetheless.
 
Last edited:
clclnn:
“evolutionary psychology” is an invention. It has no basis in fact.
You are obviously well read on the subject. Could you let me know what books or articles on the matter I should read so I can better appreciate your viewpoint?
@Wozza

Too funny! 😂😂😂 LOVE it!
 
Can you think of another comparison? Something that most rational people, regardless of their religion or non-religion, find to be immoral?
The problem is that these days those who disagree on morals tend to mutually write each other off as irrational–or small-minded or lacking in charity or fill-in-the-blank. You’d think that no one believes that people of good will could possibly have serious differences on the important questions of life. Considering how few of us are approaching sainthood, there is a bit of irony in that!

In the play A Man for All Seasons, Thomas More is asked by Norfolk (speaking about himself and all of the others who concluded that signing the Oath of Succession wasn’t a violation of their consciences), ‘Can’t you do what I did, and come with us, for fellowship?’ Thomas More replies, ‘And when we stand before God, and you are sent to Paradise for doing according to your conscience and I am damned for not doing according to mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?”

Yes, we should give each other counsel, when it is asked for or we have some duty to give it, but we also have to remember that we can give what others do to the mercy of the Almighty after that, and hope that we ourselves get a bountiful portion of the same mercy. When someone feels they need to do something in order to follow their conscience, for heaven’s sake respect them enough to let them do that, even if you think it is wrong-headed. We have to be merciful if we’re going to expect mercy, and that means patiently bearing things that we can’t control. Different people will handle that differently. That is OK.
 
Last edited:
Your questions are good because they are searching for the balance between respecting the freedom and dignity each person has while being a parent of a YA who lives in the home.

First. Prayers prayers prayers for the child every day. They are not going to find a relationship with Jesus by telling them what they should or shouldn’t do.

There’s a lot of different answers for your friend depending on their relationship with one another and the overall family dynamic.

I believe it is completely fair to set expectations for Adults living with other adults. This doesn’t have to have anything to do with them being her parents. If my brother was lost his home and wanted to live with me, I’d set expectations: Be actively looking for a job and another place to live. You can’t come home drunk. You have to let me know if you’re going to have guests over. etc. For a daughter, set expectations that requires her to be responsible since that’s part of what a parent should do. Have her pay bills and utlities, get a job, do well in school. But as for stopping her from going out, definitely not. She’s an adult. Treat her like an adult. You treat her any less than an adult and she may just move out on bad terms and you’ve lost a healthy contact with her.

Bottom line is, pray for her, set clear expectations that promotes adulthood (and consequences for not meeting expectations), respect her freedom, and build a solid relationship. A strong “catholic” relationship doesn’t need to be both ways. Your friend needs to ask, will this damage or hurt my relationship with my daughter? Could this lead to resentfulness? How can I challenge her by appealing to her responsibility as an adult?

I hope this helped.
 
My point was that everything about the KKK is abhorrent. Most people find pre-marital sex to be a pretty normal function of adult, human sexuality. Obviously, Catholics don’t see it that way…but I find it hard to believe they see it as something in the same realm as the KKK.
 
First, the KKK was once viewed better than premarital sex was. What would you have thought then?

Serious Catholics not only believe that premarital sex is at least as wrong as the KKK, but that using artificial birth control within marriage is at least as wrong as being in the KKK.

And most certainly, being a member of the KKK without advocating or participating in murder is less evil than advocating for or performing abortions, which many “perfectly respectable” people do.
 
My point was that everything about the KKK is abhorrent. Most people find pre-marital sex to be a pretty normal function of adult, human sexuality. Obviously, Catholics don’t see it that way…but I find it hard to believe they see it as something in the same realm as the KKK.
My point is that what people find to be abhorrent depends a great deal on the attitudes around them.
When you find yourself ranking a mortal sin against some other mortal sin and rationalizing that the ones others choose are worse mortal sins than the one you are contemplating, does that not set off red flags? Doesn’t it?

I think you can agree that there isn’t much to be said for how many people in our time are raised without a parent, who go through life with a sexually-transmitted disease, or who are conceived and yet never given a chance to be born. How many people here were engaged but did not marry their fiance after all? It happened to me. How many people assumed their relationshop was leading to an engagement, but it did not? How many people who believe that sex outside of marriage is OK actually wait until they are engaged?

That’s just looking at it from a purely secular perspective. From a Christian perspective, St. Paul was clear: Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body. (1 Cor. 6:18-20)
 
Last edited:
Yes, we should give each other counsel, when it is asked for or we have some duty to give it, but we also have to remember that we can give what others do to the mercy of the Almighty after that, and hope that we ourselves get a bountiful portion of the same mercy. When someone feels they need to do something in order to follow their conscience, for heaven’s sake respect them enough to let them do that, even if you think it is wrong-headed. We have to be merciful if we’re going to expect mercy, and that means patiently bearing things that we can’t control. Different people will handle that differently. That is OK.
Inspired!! The world would be a different place if more people followed this counsel!!
 
My point is that what people find to be abhorrent depends a great deal on the attitudes around them.
It’s also evidence that there are indeed things she considers bad enough to give anyone living in her house the choice of continuing or leaving.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top