W
Welshrabbit
Guest
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) https://i.gifer.com/3ta3.gif
So do you mean to say that a parent who will not support a child to go through study which ultimately is unlikely to lead to a self-supporting future is NOT being loving? You are very much implying so.VanitasVanitatum:![]()
I never said anything about “obligation.” Perhaps the parents love their child and want to help them to enter a profession that would be fulfilling for them. I never thought of my parents having an “obligation” to help me get through college or go to the college of my choice. I just always knew that they loved me and would help me as much as they could to have a happy and fulfilling life. They always offered their help without me ever asking. And I was always greatful for their help and did the best that I could to pay as much of my expenses as I could when I was in school and to excel in my studies.The parents have no obligation to provide access to such a location through support.
Yes, this is most important for the child’s future.The business of a parent- and probably the most loving thing they can do- is teach an adult.child self-suffixency and not self-indulgence.
If an adult child’s idea of a fulfilling career is to be an accountant or a doctor or a businessman, then hopefully their parents will encourage them in that and help them to become an accountant, etc. But if they want to be a professional ballet dancer or a professional concert clarinet player, or an archaeologist, or an historian, then they should encourage them in that profession as well. I personally know people who have become professional musicians, professional archaeologists, and professors of history and they are all self supporting. Personally, I would rather make $40,000 per year doing a job that I loved than make $100,000 per year doing a job that I hated or was indifferent about. In fact, it would literally be impossible for me to do a job that I didn’t love. Making a lot of money is not the most important thing in life.So do you mean to say that a parent who will not support a child to go through study which ultimately is unlikely to lead to a self-supporting future is NOT being loving? You are very much implying so.
By that logic it would seem that every adult has to indulge their child in whatever whim the child wants, be it ballet lessons, horseriding, art lessons or motor racing- if they are financially able. And not to do so is unloving.
The business of a parent- and probably the most loving thing they can do- is teach an adult.child self-suffixency and not self-indulgence.
@petraThorolfr:![]()
Egyptology? I’m not sure that is the major to choose when money is anything like an issue.Egyptology, for example, or archeology.
This is a bit off-thread, an answer to what kind of major might require living in an expensive place. The OP never said that her friend was studying an arcane subject.@petra
LOL!!! 20 hearts of likes!
:heart:There are scads of grads with unemployable degrees working in fast food restaurants, gas stations and Wally World-type stores. The woman who sits in the office to accept storage unit payments has a Masters in archeology. She never wanted to leave her hometown, yet university officials guided her into an advanced degree in archeology?? Astounding!
I wouldn’t describe a masters in archaeology as an “advanced degree in archaeology”. It only takes two years to get a masters degree and wouldn’t be very useful. An advanced degree would be a PhD which would take about 7 years of graduate study and I know people who got a PhD in archaeology and are now professors in various universities.PetraG:![]()
@petraThorolfr:![]()
Egyptology? I’m not sure that is the major to choose when money is anything like an issue.Egyptology, for example, or archeology.
LOL!!! 20 hearts of likes!
:heart:There are scads of grads with unemployable degrees working in fast food restaurants, gas stations and Wally World-type stores. The woman who sits in the office to accept storage unit payments has a Masters in archeology. She never wanted to leave her hometown, yet university officials guided her into an advanced degree in archeology?? Astounding!
Yes, and getting one of those jobs does hinge to a great degree on where you get your PhD and who your academic mentors are. This is true. Having said that, I would stick by the position that the student with plans does need to expect to accomodate their plans to the principles of the people the student has decided to call upon for support. If you’re going to live in somebody’s house, you should expect that their way of life ought to be something you show very deep respect for. I’m not saying there is no room to even ask for accomodations or that parents are morally bound to refuse to have someone in the house who doesn’t live that way. I’m not saying that at all. I’m saying that if this is important to the parents, that is their right. They aren’t abusing their adult child by expecting to have a certain rule of life in their own home, even if that rule extends to behaviors that take place off of the property.I wouldn’t describe a masters in archaeology as an “advanced degree in archaeology”. It only takes two years to get a masters degree and wouldn’t be very useful. An advanced degree would be a PhD which would take about 7 years of graduate study and I know people who got a PhD in archaeology and are now professors in various universities.