Pastor David Jeremiah's sermon on OSAS

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarcoPolo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting interpretation of something? Is an apostate a Christian that as become a non-Christian, despite that God says that is impossible?
God never says that it is impossible for a Christian to become a non-Christian. You might put together some Scripture that can be interpreted to mean that, but it is never said directly. And the same Scripture that you use to support it is used by others to deny it - and all this within the community of “bible only” Christians. Need proof? Try reading evangelical Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology …all the competing doctrines throughout the history of Protestantism are in there.
 
Interesting interpretation of something? Is an apostate a Christian that as become a non-Christian, despite that God says that is impossible?
I would refrain from entering any discussion with Tim which involves the term “apostate”.
He appears to have his own definition for the term and until you can come to agreement on what an apostate actually is, it is silly to engage him on it. To save you some time - he has no respect for Protestant commentators, Websters, wikipedia, etc. It’s all his way (ie his personal definition derived from his interpretation of Scripture) or its the highway!

Heres the thread we covered this topic on…
forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=6050990&postcount=331
 
Interesting rant. It appears you are unfamiliar with the concept of a logical corollary. It is merely a way of restating the facts of a statement. It often adds a degree of clarity . For example I could say, “Every time Tim is upset by a post he goes on a rant.” A necessary corollary is “If Tim does not go on a rant, he is not upset by a post.” They are equivalent statements. The same is true of the following statements: “We are saved by faith alone, but not by a faith that is alone (ie lacks good works)” and the statement, “If a faith is alone (ie, lacks good works) then we are not saved by it.” Again, they are logical equivalents. If you dont like the second statement, you need to revise the first one rather than blaming others for pointing out the hypocrisy.

You’re arguing over semantics? What would like to call someone who pretends to be a Christian but is not? A non-believer? How does that distinguish them from those who dont pretend to be Christian? Seems silly to me. Would “pseudo-Christian” be better?
And you make another one of your blatant errors here: only a non-believer can be separated …from God. No Tim - only someone who was “attached” to God can be “separated” from God. Non-believers are outside of God, separate from him;

Thats because making distinctions is irrelevant - there is no need to discuss it. It cant cause you to lose your salvation according to your theology, so who cares?

You are too funny! Just after your arguing over the term “false Christians” you pull out a verse that completely demolishes your position: FALSE PROPHET!!! What is that supposed to mean, Tim??? Could it possibly be someone who PRETENDS to be a prophet but isnt??? Why yes it does mean that! Sorta like a FALSE CHRISTIAN…😉
Now, on to your comments…I definitely understand the admonition: a claim to faith alone is nothing: good works are a necessary part of the Christian. But more is said than that Tim - you missed it in your bolding:
17 "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”
Logical corollary? If you do not bear good fruit you are not a good tree. Bad trees get thrown into the fire…you know what that means I hope.

Fail to see it?? Uhh, that was my opening statement that you quoted silly! If you dont have good works, you dont have saving faith! You are too much…failed to see it - truly humorous.

Can we call it a “false profession” like a “false prophet” from a “false christian” or do we have to continue pretending that there is no such thing as a false Christian?

Do me a favor - could you develop your thoughts fully here. WHY does James bring up the issue of someone making such a claim? WHY does he introduce it into the context of "If a man says he has faith but has not works, will that faith SAVE HIM? It is a discussion about salvation, Tim. That’s the context. WHAT do we do with the information? HOW does it relate to our spiritual life/sanctification/salvation?

con’d
Tim Piper … you’ve been sent to the bench, for some scriptural reflections :console:
 
Interesting rant. It appears you are unfamiliar with the concept of a logical corollary. A corollary is a statement which follows readily from a previous statement.

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Cary to bring your “corollary” into this, then reconcile it with James?
And you make another one of your blatant errors here:
Just as I said before you chose not to put the entire context in. :rolleyes:
Do me a favor - could you develop your thoughts fully here. WHY does James bring up the issue of someone making such a claim? WHY does he introduce it into the context of "If a man says he has faith but has not works, will that faith SAVE HIM? It is a discussion about salvation, Tim. That’s the context. WHAT do we do with the information? HOW does it relate to our spiritual life/sanctification/salvation?
Not a salvation by faith plus works as Catholics will espouse and often deny. This accords with Romans and Ephesians that faith alone saves, but righteous works will be the result or fruit of that faith, not the means. The works in James, the visible fruits, seen by men that show their faith is a saving faith and not a dead faith. He even makes an good analogy to the body and the spirit.
 
Lets go two verses higher up 2:12 “If we endure, we shall also reign with him; IF WE DENY HIM, he will ALSO DENY US;”

No longer Christians, having denied Christ and forsaken their Saviour. Just as Judas, the Apostate, did. “Better if he had never been born”.
You cannot be a Christian, then become a non-Christian. That would mean you can escaped the hand of God; if that were true, then God did not has you in His hand to start because He is perfect at not letting go those who are in His hand.
 
When you are claiming to be infallible in your interpretations let us know, otherwise we will recognize this for what it is: another expression of your frustration cloaked as an indirect claim to actually having the “mind of Christ”. If you wish to claim you have the infallible mind of Christ, be a man and say so. 👍 If you were to say that you received personal divine revelation on a particular topic I could respect that, but to continue to hint at it without definitively claiming it is pretty whimpy; inappropriate in an apologetics forum and…getting old.

Maybe you should take a break.

Blessings!
You are right about the last line; no one is infallible in interpreting the Scripture except for God. He does give the Christian “the mind of Christ”, this does not mean we know it all, but it does mean we know and can learn fro the teaching and guidence from God, which is my only claim here.

You name calling is rather devilish don’t you think?
 
God never says that it is impossible for a Christian to become a non-Christian. You might put together some Scripture that can be interpreted to mean that, but it is never said directly. And the same Scripture that you use to support it is used by others to deny it - and all this within the community of “bible only” Christians. Need proof? Try reading evangelical Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology …all the competing doctrines throughout the history of Protestantism are in there.
How many profess to be Christians that are not? How many profess to be Christians and are? What does the bible say?

I read commentaries, but they are not a substitute for God’s word and must be tested against it and proven by it.
 
Tim Piper … you’ve been sent to the bench, for some scriptural reflections :console:
Not for Scriptural reflection; to rest from human theology and doctrine. But yes; I agree I need to sit on the bench a little while.
 
That would be simple for me to do, but inappropriate for this thread and useless. I am perfectly satisfied by your inability to address the points I made - being perfectly logical as they are. It is obvious to all that you are attempting to divert the discussion away from the topic at hand. Nice try, but Im not bitin’
AKA: I see you point Tim, but unwilling to admit because of my self righteous human pride. The point is about salvation and OSAS is about security of that salvation; so the strawman argument falls flat.
Why don’t you take a little time, think about and develop fully your thoughts on why James launches into this discussion. It must be important somehow, no?
It is important, but it cannot change the view of salvation based on works persons. There is too much meat and would choke the infant and the non-believer alike.
 
How many profess to be Christians that are not? How many profess to be Christians and are? What does the bible say?
I dont think the word Christian appears in Scripture, just like the statement “Christians cant become non-Christians” doesnt appear. The bible says lots of stuff, so if you have something relevant to the thread from Scripture then share it with chapter and verse.
I read commentaries, but they are not a substitute for God’s word and must be tested against it and proven by it.
Yeah, thats what all the contributors to Wayne Grudem’s systematic theology say too…
Its a great vague theological truth that does nothing to alter the fact that in “testing and proving” against the word of God they frequently end up with contradicting opinions and theologies. But Im sure your different somehow…

Blessings!
 
I dont think the word Christian appears in Scripture, just like the statement “Christians cant become non-Christians” doesnt appear. The bible says lots of stuff, so if you have something relevant to the thread from Scripture then share it with chapter and verse.

Yeah, thats what all the contributors to Wayne Grudem’s systematic theology say too…
Its a great vague theological truth that does nothing to alter the fact that in “testing and proving” against the word of God they frequently end up with contradicting opinions and theologies. But Im sure your different somehow…

Blessings!
The fact that you don’t know the term Christian is used in Scripture is very scary.
I’ll see you later, I am taking my time on the bench as you rightly suggested; so have a Merry Christmas and Lord willing I will speak again soon with you and may god bless you in Christ. 🙂
 
Why Timothy, if your interpretation of Scripture is correct regarding OSAS, is there not a single Christian writer that I am aware of starting from the 1st century on through the 15th that holds the same position as you?

That was a big factor in me changing my view on the matter, as I saw an argument for “Eternal Security” in Scripture. I think that if you are open to correction, you will admit that there are verses in the Bible that are troublesome for your Theology; the same verses that Lutheran and various other Protestant/Catholic/ and Orthodox Christians use to teach that a saint can be ultimately lost.
 
Act 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

1Pe 4:16 Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Act 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
 
AKA: I see you point Tim, but unwilling to admit because of my self righteous human pride. The point is about salvation and OSAS is about security of that salvation; so the strawman argument falls flat.
I do see your point, Tim, although I disagree with it and I would be happy to have a discussion regarding the reconciling of the verses of Paul and James in the context of OSAS. But I simply feel that finishing the discussion at hand is more appropriate. If you cannot stay with this discussion until we actually finish it, why would you think running off to a discussion on a new topic would be any different?
I will point out - once again - that your persistence in attributing my “failure” to understand your position to a flaw (pride) in my character is merely an ad hominem attack.
 
Act 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

1Pe 4:16 Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Act 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Thanks! I did a search on Blueletterbible and found the same stuff for the ESV. I was mistaken and I admit it…
 
The fact that you don’t know the term Christian is used in Scripture is very scary.
I was mistaken and I admit it - I simply couldnt recall it in any of my study or memory of Scripture. I’m not sure why it would be scary, let alone “very scary”, since it only appears a couple of times depending on the translation. I am sure that it is irrelevant to the actual topic that nowhere does Scripture say that “A Christian cannot become a non-Christian”. I can understand why you would grasp onto my error, however.
I’ll see you later, I am taking my time on the bench as you rightly suggested; so have a Merry Christmas and Lord willing I will speak again soon with you and may god bless you in Christ. 🙂
You have made a wise decision. I wish you a blessed Christmas and New Year…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top