J
JamesCollins
Guest
I recently read this interview of Patricia Heaton and it explains why she left Catholicism:
beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Celebrities/Patricia-Heaton-Faithfully-Funny.aspx?p=1
I think that the main difficulty for me, when Catholicism was this idea that was really deeply planted, was that you exist either in a state of grace or out of a state of grace, and God forbid you should get hit by a bus when you’re out of a state of grace, because it’s all over for you. And, I think that set up a horrible thing in me, that my salvation was not secure. I think that would be the main problem I had with the Catholic Church. I don’t even know that that’s [still] taught, but that was so ingrained in me. And that unless you went to confession, that you would still be out of a state of grace. You had to go to confession, get back in a state of grace.
She doesn’t seem to be against the Catholic Church, but doesn’t seem to think it is necessary to be a Catholic to be saved. Here is the link to the entire article:So it just seemed very tenuous to me, and I don’t know who can live like that, thinking, “Am I going to hell today, or not?” What I found in the Protestant faith was that your salvation is secure, and that the rest is process. So that would be, I think, the big step for me.
beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Celebrities/Patricia-Heaton-Faithfully-Funny.aspx?p=1