Patricia Heaton on leaving Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter JamesCollins
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone already mentioned this:

If she was upset by that belief, which she must have truly believed or else she wouldn’t have been bothered by it, then how does switching to a different religion change the “policy” she doesn’t like?

See what I’m getting at? The belief is still there. The teaching is still there. She can’t make it go away by walking away from it. It’s like a child who is afraid of a ghost and so closes his eyes, thinking that if he can’t see the ghost the ghost can’t see him.
I don’t think that would be the main reason someone would leave. I think it was just a way for her to offer a protestant criticism of “rules” which is common.
 
I don’t think that would be the main reason someone would leave. I think it was just a way for her to offer a protestant criticism of “rules” which is common.
True. But I thought that was her reason. I didn’t really read through whatever it was she had to say.
 
From what I understand (and that is only through the internet) that she is a proponant of same sex marriage as well, so I think there is more going on here. There is such a thing as hell and we can freely put ourselves out of Gods grace by mortally sinning.

On a positive note, from what I understand, Mark Wahlberg is a practising Catholic.
 
On a positive note, from what I understand, Mark Wahlberg is a practising Catholic.
Yeah, I started a thread a while back about him. Practicing Catholic, but makes movies that have a lot of sex, violence, crime, etc.
 
So the Church teaches if someone misses Mass one Sunday for the first time ever, realizing the Church teaches it’s a mortal sin. And there are no other Masses in their area scheduled for that day. They get hit by a bus Sunday afternoon on their way to or back from visiting the sick or feeding the hungry, something God knows they do every Sunday afternoon. The Catholic Church teaches the person went to hell after being hit?
No…The CC has never ever pronounced someone in hell. Only God knows what is in the heart…and God is bountiful in his mercy. Missing mass because there are no other masses in the area is not mortal sin, but deliberately missing it, to watch a game on TV is.

Maybe you should read what constitutes for a sin to be mortal, there is much more to it.
 
Firstly, as a Catholic / Christian, shouldn’t it be our duty to try and remain pure in heart and soul? Secondly, i am sure that God is all forgiving and full of mercy. God knows our hearts. He can read us like a book!
 
she’s misunderstanding the teaching and taking a literalistic interpretation. The Church does not teach that God will punish someone who died on their way to Confession. This is because God knows you were heading there and knows what you would have confessed if you would have made it. It’s also why we need to be making Perfect Acts of Contrition when we have sin.

She (like most protestants and even some Catholics) misunderstands why Christ instituted Confession.
Even when we make a Perfect Act of Contrition, we are still obligated to go to Confession as soon as possible to receive Absolution. It doesn’t replace Confession. God Bless, Memaw
 
I recently read this interview of Patricia Heaton and it explains why she left Catholicism:

She doesn’t seem to be against the Catholic Church, but doesn’t seem to think it is necessary to be a Catholic to be saved. Here is the link to the entire article:

beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Celebrities/Patricia-Heaton-Faithfully-Funny.aspx?p=1
She has a poor understanding of her Catholic faith. No one’s salvation is secure,we are to work on it every moment of our lives.Sounds like she has confused redemption with salvation.Also,maybe a Protestant influence as well the OSAS mindset.
 
So the Church teaches if someone misses Mass one Sunday for the first time ever, realizing the Church teaches it’s a mortal sin. And there are no other Masses in their area scheduled for that day. They get hit by a bus Sunday afternoon on their way to or back from visiting the sick or feeding the hungry, something God knows they do every Sunday afternoon. The Catholic Church teaches the person went to hell after being hit?
Mistake number ONE, The Church never teaches any person will go to hell. The RCC teaches that only God will make that decision and it will be on Judgement day.

Next is someone misses Church on Sunday with no good reason it is indeed a mortal sin. Like it or leave it, its the command of God. Keep Holy the Lords Day.

God is a merciful God and will judge you the way he sees fit.

By the way it is possible to go to Church every single day, feed the hungry every Sunday and still go to hell.

God knows a heart and will Judge the way he see’s fit!
 
From what I understand (and that is only through the internet) that she is a proponant of same sex marriage as well, so I think there is more going on here. There is such a thing as hell and we can freely put ourselves out of Gods grace by mortally sinning.

On a positive note, from what I understand, Mark Wahlberg is a practising Catholic.
There ya go! People who have problem with the RCC and its teaching have a problem with God not us.

The RCC teaches the commands and word of God. It is your own free will to accept his way and his teaching and follow him, or to put yourself in a state of mortal sin, refuse to accept his way and teaching and follow yourself.
 
No…The CC has never ever pronounced someone in hell. Only God knows what is in the heart…and God is bountiful in his mercy. Missing mass because there are no other masses in the area is not mortal sin, but deliberately missing it, to watch a game on TV is.

Maybe you should read what constitutes for a sin to be mortal, there is much more to it.
If you mean a grave matter, committed with full knowledge that the CC teaches the matter is a mortal sin, and is committed deliberately, yes I know. So I don’t need to read that. I just have some difficulty wrapping my head around that if the person one time missed under such conditions but every Sunday including that one they righteously served the Lord by visiting the sick or feeding the hungry, that there wouldn’t be some mercy for the person hit by the bus.
 
From what I understand (and that is only through the internet) that she is a proponant of same sex marriage as well, so I think there is more going on here. …
You understand correctly. I remember her speaking about SS marriages when her
brother “came out”. She was vocal about her disagreement with the Catholic Church on
the matter. I
 
If you mean a grave matter, committed with full knowledge that the CC teaches the matter is a mortal sin, and is committed deliberately, yes I know. So I don’t need to read that. I just have some difficulty wrapping my head around that if the person one time missed under such conditions but every Sunday including that one they righteously served the Lord by visiting the sick or feeding the hungry, that there wouldn’t be some mercy for the person hit by the bus.
Ok so let’s look then at what you are claiming.

You are saying then that Salvation is something we earn by doing X number of ‘good things’ and that if a person does a LOT of good things, then doing ‘one little UNREPENTED mortal sin’ (“Unrepented” is the key that you appear to have missed here), then the sheer volume of ‘good things’ should cancel out one ‘little’ UNREPENTED (I need to repeat it because people don’t seem to get the unrepented part) mortal sin.

That is what you’re saying.

That God should look at the whole person (as if He doesn’t) and that God should by hades show that person ‘mercy’ even if the person has UNREPENTED (once again, lest people still miss it) sin.

God says, “So, you sinned against me, knowing you did grave matter, fully knowing, and fully consenting, and you still aren’t sorry; the sin is UNREPENTED now and always. BUT, hey, you did so many ‘nice things’ outside of that. I’m going to MAKE YOU GO TO HEAVEN and submit to Me (because that’s part of what heaven is, submission to and union with God, and letting HIS will be done). Because if I don’t, internet posters will say I’m mean.”

What it boils down to is authority. Just because Sy Noe, or John Doe, or ANY person looks at 'missing Mass on Sunday knowing it was wrong, and NEVER being sorry" as being a RIDICULOUS idea to call this ‘mortal sin’. . .doesn’t change the fact that GOD determined it was.

Gee, if I really love a guy, and I plan to marry him, why NOT have sex? We’re fully consenting adults, right? How RIDICULOUS for God to say if I choose to do this, knowing the Church’s (God’s) teaching, and NEVER being sorry for it, that I will condemn myself to hell. When I do so many nice things for people.

I DESERVE HEAVEN. I DEMAND IT!:rolleyes:
 
You understand correctly. I remember her speaking about SS marriages when her
brother “came out”. She was vocal about her disagreement with the Catholic Church on
the matter. I
I’d always heard she was a conservative. Was she in support of the Church’s position before? Maybe her brother coming out and it hitting so close to home caused her to rethink her position?
 
Ok so let’s look then at what you are claiming.

You are saying then that Salvation is something we earn by doing X number of ‘good things’ and that if a person does a LOT of good things, then doing ‘one little UNREPENTED mortal sin’ (“Unrepented” is the key that you appear to have missed here), then the sheer volume of ‘good things’ should cancel out one ‘little’ UNREPENTED (I need to repeat it because people don’t seem to get the unrepented part) mortal sin.

That is what you’re saying.

That God should look at the whole person (as if He doesn’t) and that God should by hades show that person ‘mercy’ even if the person has UNREPENTED (once again, lest people still miss it) sin.

God says, “So, you sinned against me, knowing you did grave matter, fully knowing, and fully consenting, and you still aren’t sorry; the sin is UNREPENTED now and always. BUT, hey, you did so many ‘nice things’ outside of that. I’m going to MAKE YOU GO TO HEAVEN and submit to Me (because that’s part of what heaven is, submission to and union with God, and letting HIS will be done). Because if I don’t, internet posters will say I’m mean.”

What it boils down to is authority. Just because Sy Noe, or John Doe, or ANY person looks at 'missing Mass on Sunday knowing it was wrong, and NEVER being sorry" as being a RIDICULOUS idea to call this ‘mortal sin’. . .doesn’t change the fact that GOD determined it was.

Gee, if I really love a guy, and I plan to marry him, why NOT have sex? We’re fully consenting adults, right? How RIDICULOUS for God to say if I choose to do this, knowing the Church’s (God’s) teaching, and NEVER being sorry for it, that I will condemn myself to hell. When I do so many nice things for people.

I DESERVE HEAVEN. I DEMAND IT!:rolleyes:
That’s not exactly what I’m saying. I’m not saying you earn salvation by doing x number of things. All I know is it is written Christ spoke of people being righteous when they served Him by serving others. Anyway I was only asking what the Church believes about the bus thing. So if the person repents in their heart and mind as the bus strikes them, they can avoid hell even if they didn’t get to confess to a priest?
 
Following the “Once a Catholic, Always a Catholic” dictum, I wonder if she is aware that just because she leaves the Church it doesn’t mean she is no longer bound by it’s teachings and obligations.

The “hit by a bus” scenario still applies.
No idea if she has but does OCAC count even if she joins another faith community?
 
I’d always heard she was a conservative. Was she in support of the Church’s position before? Maybe her brother coming out and it hitting so close to home caused her to rethink her position?
The interview I saw was several years ago and I don’t remember. I think she is still pro-life
but to what extent I don’t know.
 
And it seems like a person should bring up a question like this with their confessor and get it clarified rather than just giving up. Say a prayer for her.
This

She’s a victim of poor catechesis, pray for her and all the ones who have fallen away or left because of that. Pray for the ones trying to enter or re-enter, their journey is made more difficult by those casting stones.
 
Can’t blame her for wanting a secure salvation. Just sayin…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top