Patricia Heaton on leaving Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter JamesCollins
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do those who decide to walk away from their Catholic faith,really think that the parts of the faith they have issues with,cease to be true ,just because they have rejected them.Are they now off the hook?..I don’t think so!
I believe the thought process is “I’m leaving, so the baggage that comes with X relationship is gone.” That might be true to a human relationship, but the RCC isn’t human - it’s beyond that. Disagreements is up to the human to reconcile, accept and understand - not the RCC to conform and to say “Yes, dear, I was wrong, you are right.”
 
No idea if she has but does OCAC count even if she joins another faith community?
Hi Sy. I believe you’re referring to the distinction between an ex-Catholic and a never-been-Catholic. (Granted, my way of putting it isn’t as “catchy” as yours. 😊 ;)) And I would say that, yes, there is such a distinction even in the case of an ex-Catholic who is Protestant (just as from the Eastern Orthodox pov, there is a distinction between an ex-Orthodox and a never-been-Orthodox).
 
If they missed mass on purpose meaning to offend God they would go to hell. If they missed it because they overslept then they wouldn’t go to hell. That’s my understanding anyway.
Nice when things are so cut-and-dry, eh? :hmmm:
 
And it is an absolutely horrible way to go through life. It is so easy to fall into mortal sin in this age, far easier than in times past especially with the proliferation of porn on the internet. The question always becomes will I die before I can make it to confession on saturday.
Presumption itself is a serious sin. We can’t say we can sin today and go to confession on Saturday and everything will be hunky dory.Then do it again next week. We have to be sincere about repenting and to avoid the ‘near’ occasion of sin. God Bless, Memaw
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top