Paul's letter to the Corinthians: Speaking Tongues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cliff_Jumper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cliff_Jumper

Guest
What is the proper Catholic understanding of the gift of tongues as written down by Paul in his letter to the Corinthians?
 
Speaking in tongues is to mean that the apostles were given the gift from the Holy Spirit to be able to speak in the native language (tongue) of the people they were preaching, spreading the Gospel to.
 
Speaking in tongues is to mean that the apostles were given the gift from the Holy Spirit to be able to speak in the native language (tongue) of the people they were preaching, spreading the Gospel to.
I agree with you.
Unfortunately many naive people think it means speaking gibberish!
 
Speaking in tongues is to mean that the apostles were given the gift from the Holy Spirit to be able to speak in the native language (tongue) of the people they were preaching, spreading the Gospel to.
I think this is one example of speaking in tongues, but not the one Paul is describing here, for why do you need an interpreter?

The speaking in tongues that Paul is talking of here, may be closer to the gibberish that you see around here. The problem is, Paul condemns it if there is not an interpreter around, someone different than the speaker, if I remember correctly.
 
I think this is one example of speaking in tongues, but not the one Paul is describing here, for why do you need an interpreter?

The speaking in tongues that Paul is talking of here, may be closer to the gibberish that you see around here. The problem is, Paul condemns it if there is not an interpreter around, someone different than the speaker, if I remember correctly.
For arguments sake lets say it was the gibberish one. Why would an interpreter be needed? Paul said the gift of tongues is the least of the gifts because it does nothing to build up the Church. If it does nothing to build up the Church why would anyone other than the speaker be interested in hearing what it meant?
 
What is the proper Catholic understanding of the gift of tongues as written down by Paul in his letter to the Corinthians?
During mass on Pentecost, our priest suggested a fulfillment of the story of the Tower of Babel. At that time God scattered everyone and confused their languages, after the Holy Spirit came on Pentecost, people from all over the world were together and they all understood each other in their own native languages.
 
For arguments sake lets say it was the gibberish one. Why would an interpreter be needed? Paul said the gift of tongues is the least of the gifts because it does nothing to build up the Church. If it does nothing to build up the Church why would anyone other than the speaker be interested in hearing what it meant?
And yet it is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Would you belittle a gift from God? And interpreter should be there to interpret what was said. The words interpreted may be inspirational or a private revelation.

Sadly, many of our friends forget the interpreter part when they partake in groups that speak in tongues.
 
What is the proper Catholic understanding of the gift of tongues as written down by Paul in his letter to the Corinthians?
Paul refers to TWO different gifts of tongues.

Speaking in tongues is a special charism given to a few in order to build up the Church.

The second is usually called the gift of prayer tongues or praying in tongues and is available to all. This must not be confused with speaking in tongues.

Blessings,
granny

These two websites are from a program which is being run in a number of Catholic Dioceses. Suggestion: pass the two links to someone who is on the fence about coming back to the Catholic Church or who is thinking about joining. The second link gives general information.
 
thank you for the help and the links. I read a section about speaking in tongues in The Rock, which helped explain part of my question. The links have explained the other half. I appreciate the help.
 
thank you for the help and the links. I read a section about speaking in tongues in The Rock, which helped explain part of my question. The links have explained the other half. I appreciate the help.
Here is a very basic book about the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. There may be a new edition so the ISBN number may be different.

A Key to Charismatic Renewal in the Catholic Church** ISBN: 0-87029-033-9**

by Msgr. Vincent M. Walsh
Key of David Publications

Blessings,
granny

All human life is sacred.
 
Speaking in tongues means speaking in real languages, and an interpreter of tongues means one who is a person there translating it, much like when you see the Pope speaking in a foreign language and you hear a translator speaking it in our language. But the gift of tongues is a gift that’s given by the Holy Spirit and was done miraculously without prior training. It was needed especially early on in order to spread the gospel quicker and to more people. But as time went on the gift was needed less as there were people who would learn to do it without the gift. I have heard of occasions when the gift has been given to people to speak in other languages without ever being taught, but it is not needed near as often as it did when the Church first began.
 
Speaking in tongues means speaking in real languages, and an interpreter of tongues means one who is a person there translating it, much like when you see the Pope speaking in a foreign language and you hear a translator speaking it in our language. But the gift of tongues is a gift that’s given by the Holy Spirit and was done miraculously without prior training. It was needed especially early on in order to spread the gospel quicker and to more people. But as time went on the gift was needed less as there were people who would learn to do it without the gift. I have heard of occasions when the gift has been given to people to speak in other languages without ever being taught, but it is not needed near as often as it did when the Church first began.
Pardon me. But speaking in real languages occurred at Pentecost. This is not the speaking in tongues which St. Paul wrote about.
 
Paul refers to TWO different gifts of tongues.

Speaking in tongues is a special charism given to a few in order to build up the Church.

The second is usually called the gift of prayer tongues or praying in tongues and is available to all. This must not be confused with speaking in tongues.

Blessings,
granny

These two websites are from a program which is being run in a number of Catholic Dioceses. Suggestion: pass the two links to someone who is on the fence about coming back to the Catholic Church or who is thinking about joining. The second link gives general information.
I agree with you. St Paul did speak of two languages. the one language that was to be between the person and God only. he prays to God for his own and would not be of profit to others. and i dont think it was about people getting together and try to force others to learn how to do this like in todays movement.
 
I think this is one example of speaking in tongues, but not the one Paul is describing here, for why do you need an interpreter?

The speaking in tongues that Paul is talking of here, may be closer to the gibberish that you see around here. The problem is, Paul condemns it if there is not an interpreter around, someone different than the speaker, if I remember correctly.
I think the word condemn may be a little too strong, but Paul definitely says that if an interpreter isn’t available then the person with the gift of tongues should remain quiet. The gift of tongues is meant to build up the church and without an interpreter it could possibly serve to break things down.

Personally I believe that when scipture speaks about speaking in tongues they mean recognizable human tongues, not this language of the Holy Spirit that many seem to be able to turn off and on at will. I remember years ago I called a prayer line that was Charismatic or Pentecostal affiliated for some free material I saw on a tv show and the operator started to pray for me and soon she slipped into her Holy Spirit language. She told me what it meant but there was nobody else there to verify that for me and I certainly didn’t understand it, so how do I know what she said was true?

ChadS
 
My understanding of the Gift of tongues as related by St Paul at the descent of the Holy Spirit was that although the Apostles and Disciples were speaking in their own language the people speaking and understanding different languages understood the words spoken in Hebrew…Thus in this event the necessity of having interpreters does not arise.However there is another version of the Gift of tongues where people utter words which cannot be understood by the audience.Is this the real gift of tongues.My view is that tongues as related by St Paul was a gift given to spread the word of God to wider sections of people understanding different languages.If the audience cannot understand the words uttered it does not make sense.
 
From the Catechism:

2003 Grace is first and foremost the gift of the Spirit who justifies and sanctifies us. But grace also includes the gifts that the Spirit grants us to associate us with his work, to enable us to collaborate in the salvation of others and in the growth of the Body of Christ, the Church. There are sacramental graces, gifts proper to the different sacraments. There are furthermore special graces, also called charisms after the Greek term used by St. Paul and meaning “favor,” “gratuitous gift,” “benefit.” Whatever their character - sometimes it is extraordinary, such as the gift of miracles or of tongues - charisms are oriented toward sanctifying grace and are intended for the common good of the Church. They are at the service of charity which builds up the Church.

Please refrain from misrepresenting a gift from God the Holy Spirit because you’ve witnessed abuses of His good gift. We’ve all witnessed abuses of the Eucharist. Are you prepared to abandon the Bread of Heaven because of that?

Read 1 Corinthians 14 which is a Catholic document (AKA Sacred Scripture). Then read it again. Scripture speaks of “various kinds of tongues”: on Pentecost the Apostles spoke the mysteries of God in tongues that the people could understand; Paul writes about tongues with the interpretation in the assembly. Then he writes, “I speak in tongues more than you all.” Hardly a condemnation for the use … just instruction on the proper use in the assembly.

He does explain a hierarchy of gifts, prophecy being “better” than tongues but insists, “Now I should like all of you to speak in tongues.”
 
Paul teaches one gift of tongues with a two fold application:
  1. It builds up the body (church)as whole with a phropetic word…which needs a valid
    translator to be interpeted and.
  2. Paryer tongues which is for use in pirvate prayer…to build up the individual…which in
    reality also builds up the body.
The lord has seen fit to give me the gift of prayer tongues…it has done wonders to my prayer life…it does sound like gerberish to me…I have no idea what I’m parying for…
but the spirit knows I’m sure.

God loves you…God bless
 
I am so glad that someone brought up this topic. Recently I was introduced to a group of people at church (Catholic church) who belong to a community called People of Praise. They invited my husband and I to a meeting held at a community center where they talked about the power of the holy spirit, etc. We were then separated into groups, men and women, and a discussion of faith ensued. At the end of the discussion they asked if they could pray over me and I said yes and then they all broke into “tongues” or gibberish, whichever you wish to call it. I was extremely intimidated and confused. But the experience as a whole was very uplifted and positive. But, then, the entire community gathered together to sing hymns and give testimonials and during this time almost all of the people broke into tongues. I certainly did not and if this is a gift so that people can speak in languages to communicate with others, why would they have to speak in tongues when we all spoke English. What am I missing? This is all new to me so I don’t want to seem skeptical, but I am just confused over the entire experience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top