People Of Praise ( Amy Barrett )

• Thread starter Thread starter RidgeSprinter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think some Christians and non or other religions might have an issue with her belonging to an organization that believes and practices this? If she fully accepts this (and we don’t know this) it might cause conflict with her being a SCJ?

I mentioned this before somewhere on CAF. I have no problem with Amy being a devout and practicing Catholic. I would, however have a problem with her placing her Catholic beliefs above the constitution. If that situation should ever arise, I would hope she would recurse herself.
Do you have the same questions for the other six Catholics on the Supreme Court currently? Do you wonder if their religious views may unduly influence their decisions on cases before them? Should they recuse themselves? Or has this never been an issue for you before because well… it’s a Trump thing?

Do you have the same questions for the other six Catholics on the Supreme Court currently? Do you wonder if their religious views may unduly influence their decisions on cases before them? Should they recuse themselves? Or has this never been an issue for you before because well… it’s a Trump thing?
This is a good point.

I don’t usually talk judicial stuff with non-lawyers, because one ends up having to explain a lot of really basic stuff, but let’s just say that Justices don’t tend to decide cases based on their religions. The only time a Justice might have to recuse based on religion would probably be if a religious organization to which he belonged was a party to the suit. By that I mean his home parish or diocese or a membership group like Knights of Columbus if he belonged. By the time someone gets up to the level of Supreme Court Justice nowadays, they’re not going to be cruising in saying, “Well the Bible says / the Pope says/ Franklin Graham says XYZ so that’s how I’m gonna rule.” This sort of thing occurs from time to time in state courts, where judges are elected and not always the best legal minds on the block, but not in the federal courts nowadays.

I’ll leave at that and mute the thread because I’ve talked enough on this subject. She’s qualified and should be confirmed. My old boss the judge who was raised Jewish, converted to Unitarian, and lifelong Democrat would agree.

Last edited:
40.png
Pattylt:
Do you think some Christians and non or other religions might have an issue with her belonging to an organization that believes and practices this? If she fully accepts this (and we don’t know this) it might cause conflict with her being a SCJ?

I mentioned this before somewhere on CAF. I have no problem with Amy being a devout and practicing Catholic. I would, however have a problem with her placing her Catholic beliefs above the constitution. If that situation should ever arise, I would hope she would recurse herself.
Personally,I don’t have too many questions about her. I’m just hearing others.

I do feel that if any SCJ has a religious conflict with a constitutional decision, I would expect them to also recuse themselves. Btw, it has nothing whatsoever to do with Trump. I think she’s a good nomination. Has any other SCJ been as tied to religion as she has? I honestly don’t know the answer to that and I’d feel the same if it was an Evangelical or an Orthodox Jew that placed their religion in an exalted position.

Probably. But, it’s not unconstitional.

I really don’t know where I stand in terms of Barrett.
I don’t think it’s wise to say out loud one’s religion disqualifies a candidate.

I think Barrett is extremely well qualified.

Let’s be real here. If Justice Cony- Barrette was a Liberal Catholic, the Dems wouldn’t have a problem with her. It’s not that the Justice is a Catholic, it’s that she is a Conservative Catholic. It’s not about religion.

Last edited:
Exactly! They approve of Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi. It’s the faithful moral Catholic they can’t handle.

I don’t think it’s wise to say out loud one’s religion disqualifies a candidate.
I’m saying that there are reasons Senators use to decide whether to confirm or not. Unless they say them out loud, we really don’t know. I don’t believe any belief system is disqualifying, unless the nominee says that that is what they will use to decide cases, and not the Constitution.

I have no problem with Amy being a devout and practicing Catholic. I would, however have a problem with her placing her Catholic beliefs above the constitution. If that situation should ever arise, I would hope she would recurse herself.
That sounds like a reasonable statement.
It’s unconstitutional for someone to be excluded from the bench due to religious beliefs. She should not even have to answer questions about such stuff.
I think she should have to answer if she can follow the Constitution – that’s her job. (Isn’t that what conservatives keep saying what they want judges to do – follow the Constitution?) Thurgood Marshall famously criticized the Constitution but he followed it.

Last edited:
It’s unconstitutional for someone to be excluded from the bench due to religious beliefs.
I’m not sure it is. It certainly would be against our Constitutional history and our self-image but it would not be illegal. Imagine if a Muslim person were nominated for SCOTUS! You think that he or she might be subject to religious discrimination? Obama nominated a Muslim lawyer to be a federal judge and we can all imagine what happened.
I think you’ve pegged a number of Democrat senators.
What happened when Obama nominated a Muslim lawyer to the federal bench?

Last edited:
I’m saying that there are reasons Senators use to decide whether to confirm or not. Unless they say them out loud, we really don’t know. I don’t believe any belief system is disqualifying, unless the nominee says that that is what they will use to decide cases, and not the Constitution.
I agree. I wish Justice Breyer felt that way about world opinion.

I do feel that if any SCJ has a religious conflict with a constitutional decision, I would expect them to also recuse themselves.
I’ve asked this before and I’ll ask it again. What tenet of Catholicism conflicts with our constitution?

Where they are located in link. So, they are in a number of places in the USA and a few other countries (like Canada, Jamaica).

I have seen 3 of their services. I was in the crowd so, I certainly wasn’t near the “inner workings” of the group but from that vantage point, I saw nothing unseemly.

Articles say they make a big deal out of tithing as well.

I do know, in the news, there are reports of supposed “ex-members” letting off steam about the group. I haven’t really read those articles.

She has said that in her statement at her announcement of nomination.

Paul, what do you make of this part of Article VI of the Constitution:

" no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

@nepperhan, too

Paul, what do you make of this part of Article VI of the Constitution:

" no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."
And?

What religious test is being applied to Barrett by the government? She was nominated. She’s on the Hill today. No religious test.

How individual senators vote isn’t covered by Article VI.

Last edited:
Let’s be real here. If Justice Cony- Barrette was a Liberal Catholic, the Dems wouldn’t have a problem with her. It’s not that the Justice is a Catholic, it’s that she is a Conservative Catholic. It’s not about religion.
Let’s be real…if ACB said she aborted her last child, the Dems would not have a problem with her

I do feel that if any SCJ has a religious conflict with a constitutional decision, I would expect them to also recuse themselves. Btw, it has nothing whatsoever to do with Trump. I think she’s a good nomination. Has any other SCJ been as tied to religion as she has? I honestly don’t know the answer to that and I’d feel the same if it was an Evangelical or an Orthodox Jew that placed their religion in an exalted position.
But the reality is, Judge Barrett is not the one making a big deal of her religion, the Democrats are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back