Peter could never be a POPE! need some help again

  • Thread starter Thread starter janryboy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, how am I disagreeing with you?:confused: The rule requiring priestly celibacy originated in the 11th century as an eventual result of the Cluny Reform Movement. I absolutely acknowledge that celibacy was the norm for most priests even in the early church, especially after the time of St. Benedict. However, until the institution of that church law, it was technically permitted in the west.
Well, if the canons of Nicea address it, then it is hardly “permitted.”
 
you forgot Peter never wore red shoes
How do you know that? Where does the objection that “he never wore a crown” come from anyway? I hear he used to trot all over the Eternal City in his little red sandals and his triple tiara. Shucks, annie: what use is it to be pope if you don’t get to wear the cool outfit?

So, I guess Popes JP 1 & 2 and B-16 aren’t popes either because they haven’t put on their crowns. Shucks. Just when I thought I had all this haberdashery down pat!
 
Well…thats not what it says though.

They got quiet after he spoke, they must have been pretty noisy WHEN he was talking…
Obviously the audience wanted hear Paul and not miss a word…
Well, I guess that is a possible explanation, but not a probable one.

The ruling that was sent out to the Churches (the ruling that Peter spoke about) was that the Gentiles didn’t have to be circumcised, and the stipulations that James mentioned were included to help with the mixed population Churches (Jewish and Gentile).

Acts 15 28-29
‘It is the decision of **the Holy Spirit and of us **not to place on you any burden beyond these necessities, namely, to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, from blood, from meats of strangled animals, and from unlawful marriage. If you keep free of these, you will be doing what is right. Farewell.’"

The Circumcision was a huge burden on the Jewish Christians, and to help them with the ruling, these other stipulations were made.

And also note that it was the decision of the “HOLY SPIRIT” and of us.
Ummmm……… A council of the Church being lead in an infallible decision by the Holy Spirit. I wonder which church still believes in that doctrine

I doubt that they were speaking while Peter was talking, since he was speaking with the authority of the HOLY SPIRIT.

The reason why James would have been concerned about the Jewish Christians, is based on the fact that it is the followers of James, which always brought up the concerns to Paul about the Jewish traditions and practices. So James would have been looking out for these followers.
 
Well…thats not what it says though.

They got quiet after he spoke, they must have been pretty noisy WHEN he was talking…
Obviously the audience wanted hear Paul and not miss a word…
The way that I understand “Jewish Speak” is that when silence comes after a speaker, this signifies that a speaker’s decision has ended the debate.

Some ancient Jewish scholars (not ancient scholars, but scholars of ancient Judaism :)) may be able to verify or refute this, as I am not entirely sure.
 
IF we take a closer look at the Scriptures, it becomes apparent that Peter could never be a POPE!!
  1. PETER WAS MARRIED.
So what? Bishops in the early Church were often married. Celibacy is only a discipline, not a dogma.
  1. PETER WOULD NOT ALLOW MEN TO BOW DOWN TO HIM.
And Jesus washed His Apostle’s feet. But at other times He demanded respect.
  1. PETER DID NOT PLACE TRADITION ON A LEVEL WITH THE WORD OF GOD.
Bolony!! Peter preached what Jesus taught orally – not from any book Jesus gave him. That oral teaching is Tradition!!
  1. PETER WAS NO POPE, FOR HE NEVER WORE A CROWN.
He never rode in the Popemobile, either. 😃

What has a crown got to do with Peter’s position as leader of the Apostles?
  1. PETER WAS AN APOSTLE TO THE JEWS…AND NEVER TO THE GENTILES.
It is true that Peter tended to work among Jews, and Paul among gentiles, but Peter converrted the first non-Jew in the Centurian Cornelius.
  1. PETER WAS NEVER RECOGNIZED BY PAUL AS SOMEONE ESTABLISHED IN ROME:
Peter arrived in Rome at about the time Paul was put to death and assumed leadership of the Roman Christians at that time.
  1. PETER WAS NOT INFALLIBLE.
Infallibility refers **only **to matters of faith and morals. The Pope cannot predict the weather or the stock market, nor is he protected from making the normal gaffes other humans make. Peter most assuredly set aside the Mosiac dietary laws, based on his vision at Joppa, and extended that to include entering a Gentile house and eating at their table (Acts, Chapter 10) – it was Peter who revealed to the other Apostles that salvation included the Gentiles (Acts, Chapter 11.) That is the act of a Pope!!

If Peter was not infallible, ask your friend if he has ever eaten a ham sandwich.😉
 
The NAB’s footnote to Acts 15:13-35 says the following:
Some scholars think that this apostolic decree suggested by James, the immediate leader of the Jerusalem community, derives from another historical occasion than the meeting in question. This seems to be the case if the meeting is the same as the one related in Gal 2:1-10. According to that account, nothing was imposed upon Gentile Christians in respect to Mosaic law; whereas the decree instructs Gentile Christians of mixed communities to abstain from meats sacrificed to idols and from blood-meats, and to avoid marriage within forbidden degrees of consanguinity and affinity (Lev 18), all of which practices were especially abhorrent to Jews. Luke seems to have telescoped two originally independent incidents here: the first a Jerusalem “Council” that dealt with the question of circumcision, and the second a Jerusalem decree dealing mainly with Gentile observance of dietary laws (see Acts 21:25 where Paul seems to be learning of the decree for the first time).
 
Vern>>Infallibility refers only to matters of faith and morals.

Since God’s Word is infallible, this is why I and other Protestants believe in Sola Scriptura. The Bible is the final authority on faith and morals. Peter wasn’t infallible; he was human like the rest of us. You recall all the mistakes he made right?

As for the OP, why are you off debating Protestants if you have to come back here for help over everything? I’m not perfect but I don’t engage in debate if I’m going to have to keep going to ask for help on it. However, since I don’t know everything maybe that would be a good idea?
 
Vern>>Infallibility refers only to matters of faith and morals.

Since God’s Word is infallible, this is why I and other Protestants believe in Sola Scriptura. The Bible is the final authority on faith and morals. Peter wasn’t infallible; he was human like the rest of us. You recall all the mistakes he made right?
It is not a subtle distinction to say that Scripture is inerrant but that the Church is infallible. They really are two different things. And you’ve been hangin’ around here long enough to know that infallilbility and impeccability are not the same thing and to know that the note of infallibility applies only to specific, intentional, identified statements concerning faith and morals.
As for the OP, why are you off debating Protestants if you have to come back here for help over everything? I’m not perfect but I don’t engage in debate if I’m going to have to keep going to ask for help on it. However, since I don’t know everything maybe that would be a good idea?
Sometimes people ambush you before you’ve got your ducks in a row. I was once caught off my guard – not because I did not KNOW the answer to one of those typical Protestant taunts (Catholics worship statues) but because I didn’t have a 25-words-or-less retort framed to address the hostile mindset from which it was launched. That won’t happen again!
 
I don’t mercy, Scripture is infallible. God’s Word is inerrant AND infallible.

Yeah, I understand. Maybe I have a bit too much pride to go back among my friends and keep asking for help when I’m debating someone. I’d rather lose outright. lol
 
Many protestants mistakenly believe that God’s Word is restricted only to Scripture. Scripture is only one of the means God uses to spread his message. We also have Sacred Tradition and the Magisterium. Relying only on one of those means to God’s Truth give man an unbalanced view of God’s Revelation to mankind and restricts the full revelation of Truth.
 
Many protestants mistakenly believe that God’s Word is restricted only to Scripture. Scripture is only one of the means God uses to spread his message. We also have Sacred Tradition and the Magisterium. Relying only on one of those means to God’s Truth give man an unbalanced view of God’s Revelation to mankind and restricts the full revelation of Truth.
I disagree with you though. All Sacred Tradition that the Lord wanted us to be required to believe made its way into Scripture. Yes, the Church put the Bible together. It follows then, that if Sacred Tradition were binding on the conscience of believers that the Church would have included it all in Scripture. Right?

Apart from Scripture we have no way of knowing if someone is telling the truth. Is it any wonder that the cults have “additional books” that they put on par with Scripture. I may make a mistake in interpreting Scripture but at least I know that Scripture is God’s Word. I have no way of knowing this with anything else.
 
Vern>>Infallibility refers only to matters of faith and morals.

Since God’s Word is infallible, this is why I and other Protestants believe in Sola Scriptura. The Bible is the final authority on faith and morals. Peter wasn’t infallible; he was human like the rest of us. You recall all the mistakes he made right?
What a paradox you have created for yourself!😉

If Peter was not infallible, what of the two Epistles of Peter in the New Testament?

Are then not the infallible Word of God?😃

Infallibility refers to Christ’s gift to the Church. He established His Church and said the gates of hell would not prevail against it. He gave the Church the gift of inerrancy.

Now Protestants are hoist by their own petard – they must reject the Kharisma of Infallibility – because if they don’t, they can’t justify breaking away from the Church.

But having rejected it, they cannot claim it. Give any Protestant a simple test – “Answer yes or no, is it possible you are wrong?”

If he says “no” then he claims infalibility (that’s what infallibility means, “can’t be wrong.”) But if he says “yes” then why should one believe his interpretation of the Bible?
 
What a paradox you have created for yourself!😉

If Peter was not infallible, what of the two Epistles of Peter in the New Testament?

Are then not the infallible Word of God?😃

Infallibility refers to Christ’s gift to the Church. He established His Church and said the gates of hell would not prevail against it. He gave the Church the gift of inerrancy.

Now Protestants are hoist by their own petard – they must reject the Kharisma of Infallibility – because if they don’t, they can’t justify breaking away from the Church.

But having rejected it, they cannot claim it. Give any Protestant a simple test – “Answer yes or no, is it possible you are wrong?”

If he says “no” then he claims infalibility (that’s what infallibility means, “can’t be wrong.”) But if he says “yes” then why should one believe his interpretation of the Bible?
Actually, I have not created a paradox for myself. Only God and His Word are infallible. Peter was inspired by God to write the two books. However, he was not infallible as demonstrated by the many times he put his foot in his mouth and was rebuked by the Lord.

Infallible means perfect. Cannot fall. Immovable. Nothing can knock it down. This is God. This is Scripture. God established His Word forever. It will stand forever. His Word is infallible. Peter is not.

Why does everything come back to “we can’t justify breaking from the Church”? (Edited by Moderator) Try to remember that Luther tried to REFORM the Church back to how it should have been (if indeed, you go all the way back to the beginning) but the Church wanted nothing of it. If I was Luther, I’d have left in a heartbeat as well.
 
I disagree with you though. All Sacred Tradition that the Lord wanted us to be required to believe made its way into Scripture. Yes, the Church put the Bible together. It follows then, that if Sacred Tradition were binding on the conscience of believers that the Church would have included it all in Scripture. Right?

Apart from Scripture we have no way of knowing if someone is telling the truth. Is it any wonder that the cults have “additional books” that they put on par with Scripture. I may make a mistake in interpreting Scripture but at least I know that Scripture is God’s Word. I have no way of knowing this with anything else.
Your understanding of Tradition is incorrect.

The Apostles preached orally. They had no New Testament. Their listeners heard things in greater depth than they appear in the very brief documents that make up the New Testament.

Consider John 21,25:
There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.
Clearly, those who associated with John for years, heard his teachings from his own lips heard things that were not written down – both things that happened beyond those recorded, and the interpretation of those things.

Now let’s do a little exercise in Tradition – tell me exactly who wrote Revelation.😉
 
Scripture is incapable of action. It is inerrant, not infallible.
Scripture diesagrees with you my friend. Scripture is the Living Word and it most certainly does perform actions. In fact, it convicts of sin. It leads one to salvation through Christ. It discerns the thoughts and intents of the heart. It goes out to DO that which God WILLS it to DO and does not RETURN to God void. Scripture is most certainly capable of action. It is inerrant AND infallible.
 
hoosierdaddy, Janryboy, catholic dude and many more, too many to mention.

Reading your contributions, you are very knowldgeable. Your contributions also show a good portion of inspiration from the Holy Spirit.

Very inspiring. Thank you
 
Actually, I have not created a paradox for myself. Only God and His Word are infallible. Peter was inspired by God to write the two books. However, he was not infallible as demonstrated by the many times he put his foot in his mouth and was rebuked by the Lord.
Yes, you have. You see, it’s one thing to say God is infallible, another thing entirely to say “***I ***am infallible.”

Surely you don’t claim to be infallible? You must admit that your interpretations can be wrong!
Infallible means perfect. Cannot fall. Immovable. Nothing can knock it down. This is God. This is Scripture. God established His Word forever. It will stand forever. His Word is infallible. Peter is not.
It absolutely does not mean what you say. Now, you may use the word “infallible” any way you wish – but don’t expect us to accept that as the same as the Catholic doctrine of infallibility.
Why does everything come back to “we can’t justify breaking from the Church”?(Edited by Moderator)
I’m sorry you feel that way, but I cannot accept that Martin Luther or any other person was justified in breaking away from the Church. The Kharisma of infallibility was not given to him.
Try to remember that Luther tried to REFORM the Church back to how it should have been (if indeed, you go all the way back to the beginning) but the Church wanted nothing of it. If I was Luther, I’d have left in a heartbeat as well.
And he failed. Look around you – the Catholic Church continues to teach the consistent doctrine it has taught for nearly 2,000 years. Protestantism, however, in less than a quarter of that time has quarreled, split, broken up, quarreled again, re-split, and fragmented into literally thousands of sects – some of which teach things diametrically opposed to what the others teach.
 
Vern>>Your understanding of Tradition is incorrect.
Ahh yes, the old “when you disagree your understanding is incorrect” assertion. I understand it. I reject it. 'nuff said?
The Apostles preached orally. They had no New Testament. Their listeners heard things in greater depth than they appear in the very brief documents that make up the New Testament.
**I know this. Remember though, that this was before Scripture was complete. Of COURSE they preached it orally, it hadn’t been all written down yet. It IS all written down now though. And anything that is written down in the New Testament is all that Jesus requires us to know in order to live holy before Him. **
Consider John 21,25:
Quote:
There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.
**Exactly my point. Those things that were done are not required for us to know or else they would have been written down too. Since they weren’t written down in Scripture, they were not meant for us to know. **
Clearly, those who associated with John for years, heard his teachings from his own lips heard things that were not written down – both things that happened beyond those recorded, and the interpretation of those things.
But were they required to believe them and obey them? No. We are only required to believe and obey Scripture as it and it alone is the highest authority when it comes to faith and practice. This is what I believe and I will not give it up easily as I believe that I believe the truth.
Now let’s do a little exercise in Tradition – tell me exactly who wrote Revelation.
Uh…John. What does that have to do with Tradition? And who wrote a book is far from relevant when it comes to authority on faith and practice. I don’t have to accept extra-biblical sources when it comes to Catholic teachings just because you do an exercise on who wrote a book.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top