T
tampagrl
Guest
In a friendly conversation I was having today regarding the abortion in health care bill, the conversation took many turns, including all the “what-if’s” about rape, incest, etc…
we came to a cross-road at this question:
What exactly does the Church teach about taking (or giving) the “Plan B” pill if it’s given to a woman on the same day in which she is raped?
I understand that particular pill to be given to prevent conception AND implantation. My feeling was that it would be the same (morally speaking) to taking the bc pill, considering it’s really just made of higher doses of levonorgestrel, which is found in most bc pills.
My friend’s perspective was that if the Plan B pill is taken as part of the emergency care given to a rape victim it would be okay b/c conception hasn’t actually taken place.
That’s where I felt stumped, b/c I see her point.
Her position was that it would have to be on the same day b/c the odds of conception happening thereafter would be greater, (considering we have at least 24hrs of fertile egg & up to about 5 days of living sperm) in which case, she did feel it would be morally wrong to take it, even after enduring the trauma of the sexual assault. Her bottom line was that if conception has happened, it’s wrong, but it’s not wrong to prevent it from happening due to this particular trauma.
I feel like we’re splitting hairs. I’m just looking for a clearer answer or link for more information on what the Church teaches about taking the Plan B (or similar drug) in a rape situation.
Peace…
we came to a cross-road at this question:
What exactly does the Church teach about taking (or giving) the “Plan B” pill if it’s given to a woman on the same day in which she is raped?
I understand that particular pill to be given to prevent conception AND implantation. My feeling was that it would be the same (morally speaking) to taking the bc pill, considering it’s really just made of higher doses of levonorgestrel, which is found in most bc pills.
My friend’s perspective was that if the Plan B pill is taken as part of the emergency care given to a rape victim it would be okay b/c conception hasn’t actually taken place.
That’s where I felt stumped, b/c I see her point.
Her position was that it would have to be on the same day b/c the odds of conception happening thereafter would be greater, (considering we have at least 24hrs of fertile egg & up to about 5 days of living sperm) in which case, she did feel it would be morally wrong to take it, even after enduring the trauma of the sexual assault. Her bottom line was that if conception has happened, it’s wrong, but it’s not wrong to prevent it from happening due to this particular trauma.
I feel like we’re splitting hairs. I’m just looking for a clearer answer or link for more information on what the Church teaches about taking the Plan B (or similar drug) in a rape situation.
Peace…