Play by Play v. Color Commentary

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vulgate translation which uses the term ‘full of grace’ Lk1:28 is misinterpreted. My three bibles kjv,nkjv amplified,and concordance use’highly favored one’
The misinterpretation leads the church into the Immaculate Conception. Which is erroneous.
Matt11:11 states there was none greater than John the Baptist, does this mean he was sinless also?
IMO, the Greek (*Kecharitomene) *itself says it in a stronger manner than even the Latin.

“It is permissible, on Greek grammatical and linguistic grounds, to paraphrase kecharitomene as completely, perfectly, enduringly endowed with grace.” (Blass and DeBrunner, Greek Grammar of the New Testament).

So you see, full of grace would work just fine. 😃
 
There are some on these boards who would contend that John the Baptist was also without sin since the holy spirit entered him while he was within the womb at the time Mary visited her kinswomen Elizabeth.
I would say he was born sinless, in other words, the Holy Spirit cleansed him of the stain of Original Sin. But I don’t know of any Church teaching that says he remained sinless. After all, we all have free choice.

You may want to look at his parents though. How does it describe them? " Both were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly." That sounds like they didn’t sin to me. Of course, there is the case for Original Sin, but that’s not the issue.
 
There are some on these boards who would contend that John the Baptist was also without sin since the holy spirit entered him while he was within the womb at the time Mary visited her kinswomen Elizabeth.
Will Vatican III now claim the immaculate conception of John the Baptist?
 
I would say he was born sinless, in other words, the Holy Spirit cleansed him of the stain of Original Sin. But I don’t know of any Church teaching that says he remained sinless. After all, we all have free choice.

You may want to look at his parents though. How does it describe them? " Both were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly." That sounds like they didn’t sin to me. Of course, there is the case for Original Sin, but that’s not the issue.
It seems that the longer I hang around these boards the more references to “sinless” people I encounter. “All have sinned” seems not to mean “all have sinned” even when we are applying this Scriptural passage to people to whom it is clear that it applies (as opposed to infants and the mentally incompetent). That being the case, just who exactly other than Christ and Mary has the Church declared to be “sinless” in their lives?
 
It seems that the longer I hang around these boards the more references to “sinless” people I encounter. “All have sinned” seems not to mean “all have sinned” even when we are applying this Scriptural passage to people to whom it is clear that it applies (as opposed to infants and the mentally incompetent). That being the case, just who exactly other than Christ and Mary has the Church declared to be “sinless” in their lives?
Just those two have been declared, but you know that doesn’t mean they have to be the only two. It’s interesting that you failed to address the statement on Elizabeth and Zechariah.

*** Both were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly.

How can you be righteous and blameless in the eyes of God if you have sinned?

Maybe, however, the “All Have Sinned” quote is an allusion to a Psalm, or that Paul is using it metaphorically. Now, we all agree that Jesus did not sin, and Paul did not list him as an exception. We also can agree that the Bible cannot contradict itself, but we can’t just pick and choose which verse in question we hold to. We have to reconcile these questionable differences. Many people seem to stake their bet on “All have sinned” and ignore anything that contradicts it as irrelevant.
 
Just those two have been declared, but you know that doesn’t mean they have to be the only two. It’s interesting that you failed to address the statement on Elizabeth and Zechariah.

*** Both were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly.

How can you be righteous and blameless in the eyes of God if you have sinned?

Maybe, however, the “All Have Sinned” quote is an allusion to a Psalm, or that Paul is using it metaphorically. Now, we all agree that Jesus did not sin, and Paul did not list him as an exception. We also can agree that the Bible cannot contradict itself, but we can’t just pick and choose which verse in question we hold to. We have to reconcile these questionable differences. Many people seem to stake their bet on “All have sinned” and ignore anything that contradicts it as irrelevant.
I’d take a different tack. If the Bible says “all have sinned” I’d assume that “all have sinned” unless Scripture explicitly says so otherwise. It did say so with respect to Christ, but not anyone else. As for Elizabeth and Zechariah, Scripture does not exclude them from “all have sinned”. They may have been righteous and blameless in the eyes of God during a certain portion of their life or, more likely, they may have been deemed righteousness by God on account of their faith…as was Abraham.
 
I’d take a different tack. If the Bible says “all have sinned” I’d assume that “all have sinned” unless Scripture explicitly says so otherwise. It did say so with respect to Christ, but not anyone else. As for Elizabeth and Zechariah, Scripture does not exclude them from “all have sinned”. They may have been righteous and blameless in the eyes of God during a certain portion of their life or, more likely, they may have been deemed righteousness by God on account of their faith…as was Abraham.
But you’re not being honest with yourself. If Paul says “All Have Sinned”, and the bible says “Chirst did not sin”, then there is a contradiction when you take Paul’s words literally.

You’re drawing the line and then plotting the points.
 
But you’re not being honest with yourself. If Paul says “All Have Sinned”, and the bible says “Chirst did not sin”, then there is a contradiction when you take Paul’s words literally.

You’re drawing the line and then plotting the points.
No, you can’t take a single verse and read it outside of the context of the remaining Scriptures. It is beyond dispute that Christ did not sin (nor, of course, do you contend otherwise). Christ is the understood exception to the statement “all have sinned”. It gets more complicated when you extend that proposition beyond Christ.
 
No, you can’t take a single verse and read it outside of the context of the remaining Scriptures. It is beyond dispute that Christ did not sin (nor, of course, do you contend otherwise). Christ is the understood exception to the statement “all have sinned”. It gets more complicated when you extend that proposition beyond Christ.
But, you are doing what you are claiming I am doing. I know Christ was sinless, you know Christ was sinless. But you are inserting this exception into Paul’s statement, while disallowing any other exceptions.

Either Paul’s statement is literal, “All means All” or it is something else.

Did you ever wonder though if Paul is referencing a Psalm with this phrase? That may help you understand what he’s talking about.
 
But, you are doing what you are claiming I am doing. I know Christ was sinless, you know Christ was sinless. But you are inserting this exception into Paul’s statement, while disallowing any other exceptions.

Either Paul’s statement is literal, “All means All” or it is something else.

Did you ever wonder though if Paul is referencing a Psalm with this phrase? That may help you understand what he’s talking about.
No, I don’t think that I am guilty of selective reading of Scripture or reading Scripture out of context in this case. The entire buildup of Romans to this point is a discussion of how man is sinful and has ignored the commandments of God. To read “all has sinned” to include Christ, when it is said clearly in other places that Christ did not sin, that would be a selective reading. Again, Paul knew that his readers would not include Christ in “all have sinned” because it was made abundantly clear elsewhere that Christ was the one man, the new Adam, who did not sin. Paul has laid down a rule–all have sinned. The burden is on those who want to claim exceptions to the rule to demonstrate the exception. It is easy to carry that burden when you are speaking about Christ.

Don’t keep me in suspense… 😉 If you think Paul was making reference to a particular Psalm, state your case…
 
But, you are doing what you are claiming I am doing. I know Christ was sinless, you know Christ was sinless. But you are inserting this exception into Paul’s statement, while disallowing any other exceptions.

Either Paul’s statement is literal, “All means All” or it is something else.

Did you ever wonder though if Paul is referencing a Psalm with this phrase? That may help you understand what he’s talking about.
So let’s get a running total of the sinless:
Jesus-of course it was prophesied in OT
Mary-RCC claims Immaculate but no scriptural or prophetic support.
John the Baptist-no biblical support
Elizabeth-no biblical support
Zechariah-no biblical support
 
Psalm 14, duplicated in Psalm 53:
Fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” Their deeds are loathsome and corrupt; not one does what is right. The LORD looks down from heaven upon the human race, To see if even one is wise, if even one seeks God. All have gone astray; all alike are perverse. Not one does what is right, not even one. Will these evildoers never learn? They devour my people as they devour bread; they do not call upon the LORD.
 
So let’s get a running total of the sinless:
Jesus-of course it was prophesied in OT
Mary-RCC claims Immaculate but no scriptural or prophetic support.
John the Baptist-no biblical support
Elizabeth-no biblical support
Zechariah-no biblical support
Newbie, regarding Mary, you can choose to keep your eyes closed, if you want to.
John the Baptist - as stated, I know of no teaching that says he was sinless. I know he was born without Original Sin, for Gabriel says that. But I don’t know where anyone claims that he remained sinless.
Elizabeth and Zehariah - I asked RR, now I ask you. How did you interpret being righteous and blameless before the eyes of God?
 
Newbie, regarding Mary, you can choose to keep your eyes closed, if you want to.
John the Baptist - as stated, I know of no teaching that says he was sinless. I know he was born without Original Sin, for Gabriel says that. But I don’t know where anyone claims that he remained sinless.
Elizabeth and Zehariah - I asked RR, now I ask you. How did you interpret being righteous and blameless before the eyes of God?
Righteous and blameless does not mean they were spared from the original sin of Adam.
 
Righteous and blameless does not mean they were spared from the original sin of Adam.
I didn’t say they did.

I assumed since we were talking with Non-Catholics that Original Sin was not part of the equation. BTW, Original Sin is not a sin of itself so it wouldn’t apply to “All have sinned”. It’s simply being born with the stain of Adam’s Original Sin - Concupiscience - which results in being born without Grace
 
I didn’t say they did.

I assumed since we were talking with Non-Catholics that Original Sin was not part of the equation. BTW, Original Sin is not a sin of itself so it wouldn’t apply to “All have sinned”. It’s simply being born with the stain of Adam’s Original Sin - Concupiscience - which results in being born without Grace
Do you think only catholics believe in original sin?
Most believers who study the bible will understand original sin.
 
The bible was inspired by God. Each book in there is inspired.(except apocrypha)
God led the ECF on which books to include. Men did not ‘decide’ on anything. The bible is God’s creation not man’s.
Of course the scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit. But God didn’t just come down and lay the completed bible on a table, did He? He worked through men who wrote under his inspiration, and guided his Church to include those scriptures and only those scriptures which were inspired.

In fact, Jesus ascended into heaven, leaving behind no instructions for any of his followers to write anything. He told them, rather, to go and preach to the whole world, which they did.

Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the new testament scriptures were assembled by the Catholic Church. So the Church is responsible for the table of contents, working as always under the guidance of the Spirit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top