Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catharina

From Associated Press, today, from Texas:

"Man Says Exorcism Led to Wife’s Death

Sunday, February 3, 2008
(02-03) 09:39 PST Odessa, Texas (AP) –

A man accused of killing his wife says he was trying to exorcise a demon from her when the devil entered his body and caused her to die, according to a police probable cause statement.

Jan David Clark, 60, was arrested Friday after authorities went to his home and found Susan Kay Clark’s body wrapped in a bed sheet with a cross and sword on top of it.

Officers had gone to the home after being told that Clark had called a friend and said his 59-year-old wife was dead, said Sgt. Gary Duesler said the Ector County Sheriff’s Office.

Clark told investigators he had his wife pinned face down on a carpeted floor when she died.

Clark was charged with murder and remained in the Ector County jail on Sunday in lieu of $300,000 bail.

He had declined to comment at the jail and it was unclear whether he had an attorney to speak for him.

The woman’s body was taken to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy.

Taryn Beck said the couple had seemed to be close.

“They were like an old married couple,” said Beck, 29, whose late grandfather was married to Susan Clark. “They would just roll their eyes at each other, but I never thought something like this would’ve happened.”"

Playing at exorcism. Inadvisable? Yes - and for Catholics, forbidden to any and all who have not received Holy Orders.

Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to pronounce the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, “I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.” 14 Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. 15 But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?” 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, mastered all of them, and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. 17 And this became known to all residents of Ephesus, both Jews and Greeks; and fear fell upon them all; and the name of the Lord Jesus was extolled
Acts 19:13-17 Definitely to be left to the professionals.

Protestants shouldn’t play at making up doctrine, and they shouldn’t play with exorcism, either.

Protestants shouldn’t play at making up doctrine, and they shouldn’t play with exorcism, either.
Lovely if true that Protestants have outlawed such for themselves - and news to me. (Naturally, the law of the Church applies to all humanity whether they know it yet or not.)

Lovely if true that Protestants have outlawed such for themselves - and news to me. (Naturally, the law of the Church applies to all humanity whether they know it yet or not.)
No, there is no such outlawing for Protestants, it would be up to each individual church/denomination. And if you’ve just formed your own church yesterday,whose to say you can’t go ahead and perform exorcisms as well? :rolleyes:

Definitely to be left to the professionals.
I heard an audio recording of an exorcism, and I second that. There is absolutely no way that any lay person should have anything to do with an exorcism, in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to be in the same town as one if I knew it was going on.

When I heard the recording, I wasn’t in any way religious. I listened to it out of curiosity. I said a prayer for the first time that day. I could FEEL Satan’s presence, and there was no way I’m going to get that close to it again! Brr… Nope. No performing exorcisms for me, no way, no how.

While lay people should not perform the rite of exorcism which is a sacramental, there are still things you can do such as pray for deliverence and above all encourage good confession which, according to Fr. Amorth (sp?), is much more powerful than any exorcism.

While lay people should not perform the rite of exorcism which is a sacramental, there are still things you can do such as pray for deliverence and above all encourage good confession which, according to Fr. Amorth (sp?), is much more powerful than any exorcism.
You are right.

I think that there is a huge need for deliverance prayer groups in the Church.

You are right.

I think that there is a huge need for deliverance prayer groups in the Church.
A beautiful (and very old) prayer of the Church, from the Divine Office, Compline:

“Protect us, Lord, while we are awake and safeguard us while we sleep that we may keep watch with Christ and rest in peace. Amen.”

I know a professional exorcist who has the experience of 15yrs or more. The demons try to attack her each time she plans to do an exorcism.

I bless myself with holy water every night before I go to sleep and when I travel to other cities. I feel it helps me to sleep better. They say that holy water stops the demons from attacking you. I don’t know if that is true or not but it does make me feel better.

Solemn exorcisms with the intent to drive demonic forces from a person must be left to a priest with the consent and blessing of the local ordinary (since the power to cast out demons comes down from the Apostles through their successors). In fact the use of the Rituale Romanum is restricted to the clergy I believe.

However, there are some blessings which a layman may use. For example, in 1890 Pope Leo XIII published a simple exorcism that could be used by the faithful to repel demons with the aid of Holy Water. I make use of this on a regular basis, as do many people. I have found it to be quite beneficial.

Who knows, maybe he was just insane as well. Question: Can all priests exorcise or do they have to take more training to become an exorcist.

Who knows, maybe he was just insane as well. Question: Can all priests exorcise or do they have to take more training to become an exorcist.
I’m no expert, but I seem to remember that becoming an exorcist takes some special additional training. I’m sure most priests at least know a little about it, though…🤷

I wouldn’t put to much trust in most priests today. Since many of them would probably not recognize a demon at all. They would tell you to go see a doctor. The majority of the Catholic priests today, mainly liberal and moderates don’t even believe in Angels, let alone demons. The church is in a sorry state of affairs, thanks to Vatican 2. Best to pray to St Michael frequently!.

I wouldn’t put to much trust in most priests today. Since many of them would probably not recognize a demon at all. They would tell you to go see a doctor. The majority of the Catholic priests today, mainly liberal and moderates don’t even believe in Angels, let alone demons. The church is in a sorry state of affairs, thanks to Vatican 2. Best to pray to St Michael frequently!.
I think Pope Benedict XVI will set things right.

I’ve wondered about this.

I’ve read about the ‘exorcism center’ being built in Poland with the Church’s approval. And the Rite of Exorcism being updated first time in several hundred years recently.

But then I’ve also read Vatican spokesmen denying any increase in exorcists.

We can only hope. But I still think that the majority of Catholic priests today are praying for the death of Pope Benedict XVI. Especially here in the US. Since many of them want a die hard liberal Pope. Sad isn’t it!. The current Pope wants to return Catholicism to Catholicism. And the majority of the clergy wants Catholicism to be more like Protestantism.

But I still think that the majority of Catholic priests today are praying for the death of Pope Benedict XVI. Especially here in the US. Since many of them want a die hard liberal Pope. Sad isn’t it!.
What is terribly sad is if you believe what you’ve stated above. AWFUL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back