Please enlighten me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seremina
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve also found these commentary names…

The New Jerome Biblical Commentary.

The International Bible Commentary.

and…

The New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.

What are any of these like? I appreciate you all letting me know about all these various commentaries and how simple they go.
 
I understand, but surely Catholics out there own commentaries. I’m feeling frustrated.
 
I understand, but surely Catholics out there own commentaries. I’m feeling frustrated.
This is odd not to get a response by now…I hope somone answers within the next 24 hrs, otherwise you might want to start a new thread.
 
Okay. I’ll wait. If nothing, I’ll just start a fresh thread. Thank you very much. 👍
 
Sometimes the NAB commentary says the right thing. It is not fully useless. Also, it does have cross-references in it, although it sends the reader to Col 2:20 and not to Romans, as Mardukm did.

The New Jerome commentary I have used. It is one rather large volume and does contain enough info that it would likely comment on the “elemental” word that caused you trouble. However, if you are of a mind not to trust the NAB commentary, you might eventually find yourself of a mind not to trust the NJBC either.

The Collegeville ones are simpler than the NJBC. I am only familiar with those from the 1980’s and they came in individual paperback books. I wasn’t impressed with them. It was too long ago for me to say more than that. It was set up like the Ignatius one.

For what you want, I’d go with the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible, offhand, except that the text is small in mine (I have individual booklets. The Navarre is excellent, but not the same type of commentary.

Oh, the NJBC is smallish text as well, but maybe it has a large print version?
 
The Ignatius Study Bible [which I think includes the commentary] is sold book by book too! This is a little disheartening. If I actually bother with Ignatius or the Navarre *, then I’d have a full shelf in my bookcase to fill for them. :eek:

I’m still on my google search. With the way this is going, I might have to write a “Catholic Bible Commentary for Dummies” book. :confused: I am hoping there’s maybe a commentary that’s meant for children somewhere…
*

Try this one. It is not an entire new testament commentary but it is a commentary on the 4 gospels.
stjamescatholic.org/ebooks/aquinas_catena_matthew.pdf
 
Collegeville. I’ll stick that on my consideration list. I need simple stuff.

NJBC might be available in large print? I’ll check that out. I’ll be happy if it is. I just pray its simple enough.

Thank you for the .pdf commentary. I’m sure to check it out and enjoy it. I kinda wish books provided an accessible version for the visually-impaired and intelligence-impaired.

If I don’t find what I’m looking for, I’m going to start such a writing project and hope to get full Papal approval for it.

Thank you, everyone. I guess this thread is finished. 👍 😃
 
Not quite. The Celts – at least the Celts in France – definitely had lucky and unlucky days on their calendar. (Archaeologists found a calendar with the days marked, even.) So it’s likely the Galatians followed the same customs, or one very similar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top