Please help! Boyfriend wants me to dress sexier

  • Thread starter Thread starter trinity333
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one painted a portrait of Mary when she was alive. We do not know for a fact how she dressed, though I’m sure we can speculate.
We can speculate knowing what was typical dress of the period for men and women.
dress. My question would be this: is that how Jesus dressed? I should think not.

You don’t understand due to your reading comprehension. A message can be communicated through tone and diction (English 100). And a message can be implied or explicitly stated (English 101). Essentially, the reader can infer messages from the written/typed statements of the writer.

So, as I stated previously several times, Fernand Braudel has pointed out what he calls “stable societies” have had little to no changes in their fashions since the time of Christ in some cases. Unlike the more liberally progressive societies of the West.

What ought be inferred from that is that that applies to both male and female fashions. As I even further stated the Muslims of the East seem to have adhered to the modest fashions of Christ and the Madonna more than Christians have.

It ought be inferred from that that I’m suggesting many male Muslims of the East don’t wear trousers (like I do) but dress more akin to Christ than I do or conservative Catholics.
So if you think all women ought to dress the same as Mary did, then why aren’t you dressing like Jesus? It would seem to follow.
Red herring and an attempt to distract from what can be observed as well as an attempt to avoid my questions (which is in part questions I ask myself but have no certain answer for)

I never implied nor explicitly stated women should dress the same as Mary. In fact I think I stated quite clearly that I have no problem with women dressing even more “sexy” than what the OP suggests she dresses like. Furthermore, I explicitly stated I don’t care for the burqa (which is more akin to the way the Holy Mother dressed - except the Holy Mother did not have her face covered).

What I correctly - and objectively - pointed out is that eventually all conservative Catholics adopt the liberal fashions of dress in the West. That conservative Catholic women wear pants proves this. And there is every reason to think that what the OP regards as “sexy” clothing fashion for women will in fact be enthusiastically adopted by conservative Catholics decades from now.

Personally, I’m fine with the fashion of Miami Beach and Rio de Janeiro. I don’t think it will fast track the wearer into sainthood (but I don’t think marriage will either, and I think celibacy is superior to sex and marital sex) but I don’t think it’s going to send the wearer into eternal damnation into hell either. But those are my thoughts and my opinion. That does not mean I think or speak for God Almighty.

Notice any similarity between the Muslim man and the Christian Jesus in dress?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/FDR_on_quincy.jpg/300px-FDR_on_quincy.jpg

Lots of Muslim men wear a lot less elaborate robes. I saw Muslim men in one piece white robes all the time when I visited the UAE.

Jesus.


Jesus is not presented in Catholic art wearing bluejeans and cowboy boots or Nike sneakers. Nor is he represented wearing a suit and tie or with a cigar in his mouth as he smiles standing in front of the New York Stock Exchange with his arms stretched out promoting capitalism and the free market.

I have no beef with trousers. What I don’t like in our contemporary times is the aesthetic look of certain fashions. It’s not necessarily an issue of it being sexy. And as I pointed out - with link - I wrote a couple Catholic Bishops giving the female Tango dresses as examples of the type of clothing I think Catholic women should wear (that is far away from suggesting women should dress like the Virgin Mary as you’ve implied I suggested).
[/QUOTE]
 
I am dating a guy (he isn’t technically my bf but we have discussed the possibility of a relationship) who is extremely wonderful and so much like me, except for this exception: he seems to think it’s fine to be physically aroused so llong as one does not follow up with physical action.
I agree to an extent, I am a man and I find myself aroused unconsciously, it’s just a natural physical reaction. It’s how you deal with it that matters. If you work on being chaste it is okay.
I explained that the Church tells people to dress in a way that does not tempt the opposite sex to thoughts of fornication (or for married people, adultery) because you are responsible not just for your own sin, but also the sin of the person who lusts for you.
Agree
He purposely answers me in a very slippery way, which was entirely new to me… saying he doesnt lust much anymore, so it wouldn’t be a problem to see me like that… saying that he does not believe men are more visually wired than women… telling me that women should feel ok being uncovered if men are allowed to wear only shorts in public… saying that, even after a couple is married, the husband will want other men to be jealous of his wife (basically, that he would be proud if his future wife made other men jealous of his trophy)
Yeah big red flag trinity, a guy who wants a trophy wife is not being respectful to her and is not being honest with himself. The idea that men are not more visually wired than women has been debunked by science so he is wrong on that. Still what’s ridiculous is that he thinks because he “doesn’t lust much anymore” it’s fine for you to dress in a provocative way…that’s about as absurd as a man who frequents strip clubs just for the comfy seats, music and drinks.
What should I do? I dress mainstream but attractive… a jeans, tee, and high heels kind of gal. I am not a prude, I just have the facts of Church teaching, and he does not… and he is very much butting heads with me over this! How can I handle him so that I don’t lose him completely over this issue? I adore him otherwise.
I say you have a heart to heart with him on this and ask him why he doesn’t accept you the way you are and is more interested in other people’s opinions. No offense, but this dude sounds self-conscious and immature. He should be more focused on whether or not he likes you, not whether or not you will give him an ego boost. I’d tread carefully about going into a relationship with a man who is focused only on “showing off” his wife.
 
A great in the middle style that will be sexier but not inappropriate would be a pair of roper boots or any other trendy western boots for women. They are classy and trendy right now. Give them a try.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top