S
seeker_of_God
Guest
Hello,
I need help in a situation I am having with my parish.
My wife and I got married outside the Church two years ago, when we had fallen away for a time. We are now seeking to have this rectified, obviously. They said the process would take a few months.
However, through reading on this forum and finding what I could find, it was my understand that if we chose to live as brother and sister, we could go to confession, and then receive the Eucharist. We would not be sinning anymore, so there should be no reason not to do this.
So, confident of this, we went to the pastor of our parish on Saturday. He said that no, a “brother and sister” relationship was a formal process that older couples sometimes go through to permanently live in this way; it is not a temporary thing.
He said we would not in any way be able to receive the sacraments until we were convalidated.
Today he called the diocese, and they apparently said the same thing.
We desperately want to receive the sacraments, and not to have to wait three months to do so. We feel like we are barred and unable to get anywhere.
We are moving to my wife’s diocese in a few weeks, so will be beginning the process there. But in the meantime, we wanted to go to confession and be able to confess our sins. They are a heavy burden on us.
So, is the priest right? i know I had heard here the opposite, and someone said that a bishop had told them they could receive the sacraments if they lived as brother and sister. So what am I missing? There must be a miscommunication somewhere.
I’m not sure how to proceed, but your help would be appreciated.
I need help in a situation I am having with my parish.
My wife and I got married outside the Church two years ago, when we had fallen away for a time. We are now seeking to have this rectified, obviously. They said the process would take a few months.
However, through reading on this forum and finding what I could find, it was my understand that if we chose to live as brother and sister, we could go to confession, and then receive the Eucharist. We would not be sinning anymore, so there should be no reason not to do this.
So, confident of this, we went to the pastor of our parish on Saturday. He said that no, a “brother and sister” relationship was a formal process that older couples sometimes go through to permanently live in this way; it is not a temporary thing.
He said we would not in any way be able to receive the sacraments until we were convalidated.
Today he called the diocese, and they apparently said the same thing.
We desperately want to receive the sacraments, and not to have to wait three months to do so. We feel like we are barred and unable to get anywhere.
We are moving to my wife’s diocese in a few weeks, so will be beginning the process there. But in the meantime, we wanted to go to confession and be able to confess our sins. They are a heavy burden on us.
So, is the priest right? i know I had heard here the opposite, and someone said that a bishop had told them they could receive the sacraments if they lived as brother and sister. So what am I missing? There must be a miscommunication somewhere.
I’m not sure how to proceed, but your help would be appreciated.