Please pray for me, I can't stop sinning!

  • Thread starter Thread starter adam235
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps during the forthcoming season of Lent you could draw nearer to the sufferings of our Lord and remember that he himself was tempted in the desert. Maybe you could pray the Way Of The Cross which is a wonderful devotion to the sacred Passion of our Blessed Lord. And when you fail, as we all do, keep returning to the powerful Sacrament of Reconciliation to receive God’s grace and mercy. And as always pray to our Immaculate Queen.

You are in my prayers.
 
No one here has even mentioned what the Church teaches in regard to masturbation. From the Catechism;

“To form an equitable judgment about the subjects’ moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.”

There are many physiological reasons that cause people to masturbate, especially for a 14 year old boy who is going through puberty. My advice is to do what you can to avoid it, but don’t beat yourself up if you fail. Jesus is not going to send you to Hell if you fail and fall to this temptation.
Thanks for bringing that up Timothysis,
As we know from the multitude of threads dealing with masturbation this is a big concern for us Catholics.
We need to look to our Church for proper understanding and to see the different sides of this (and every) issue.
👍
 
Hi Adam.

Hope you are feeling a little better today. I prayed the Divine Mercy for you at 3:00 today.
I am going to do it again for you tommorrow. Never give up hope.🙂
 
And for the fifth or sixth time, thank you all once again.
I did feel better, thank you so much for praying the Divine Mercy. 😉
I went to confession today and confessed my sins, I felt relieved but I still
am praying so I can be truly free.
 
Hello adam235

I wish you the best of luck and i will pray for you. Can pretty much relate as i also struggle and seem to be unable to not sin. Once i`m done confessing one thing…it maybe goes a week at most and im up in a situation, even if i don t wish for it to happen.

It ruined my birthday celebration and now…im just depressed (being a convertite for only 3 months and have had a rough start).

Stay in there and don`t give up. I wish someone could say that for me too, as i just feel lost and most certain i will end up in burning hell!
 
I’m sorry to hear that…
God is merciful, and I guarantee if you confess everything you’ve done even if it is
ruthlessly bad, you still can make it to heaven.
I am going to continue to go to reconciliation until my masturbation addiction goes away,
I will pray every day.
I don’t think you will end up in hell, if you recognize your sins and feel truly bad for them.
 
Thanks for bringing that up Timothysis,
As we know from the multitude of threads dealing with masturbation this is a big concern for us Catholics.
We need to look to our Church for proper understanding and to see the different sides of this (and every) issue.
👍
I do agree, as for any catholic this is one tough battle. Myself, i have taken some tough methods in use to combat this and a ex-porn star follows me on twitter and can be useful to give good advices. She broke out of the industry and some of the stories that former pornstars tells are just terrible.

It is enough for me, to know - that this is work of evil and important to stay away, as for all other mortal sins. But, i have a full understanding to everyone that struggle with it (as i have and still need to battle this. You can win over it, everyone can. It will take time and continuing prayers.

I know it`s worth it. Shelly Lubben and others can for sure tell why it is and what has happened to lots of people within that industry.
 
Adam, you’re not alone; I’m 16 and struggling with the same sin. Pray for God to give you strength and ask Him to help you. Through His grace, you can overcome this. I’ve started praying when I feel tempted. Then try to distract yourself with something else. If you slip, just get to Confession as soon as you can. Talk to your priest about it if you want. That way he will get to know you and can help you through your struggle more personally. I know, it can be really embarrassing, but I’m sure priests hear it all the time. I talked to my priest on Sunday about it. He knows I’m making an effort but I slip back into it. He told me “don’t panic if you do it, just find me before or after mass if you can and confess.”
Just keep trying! I will pray for you; please pray for me as well. We’re going to beat this! 👍

~Lefty22
 
Here’s one idea that might help:

A lot of the evil we are confronted with is too easily available on the Internet.
Try this.
Use religious wallpaper on your desktop. I use photos of the Blessed Sacrament or seasonal images. Do an image search for Lent. I’m sure you’ll find something that keeps your mind on our Lord.
Next, make something like “divineoffice.org/” as your homepage.
Or comepraytherosary.org/
or divinemercysong.com/.

AVE MARIA, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.
Benedicta tu in mulieribus,
et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae.
Amen.
 
Hello again…
I have sadly fallen again to masturbation, it has become a habit
and it MUST stop, I went to confession last sunday!! 😦 😊
I am trying to practice self-control, and I MUST pray the rosary today,
as I have been putting it off for no good reason at all.
I am trying to pray for myself and
I am 14 years old, and I am going to mass on sunday. I don’t think I will be able
to make it to confession before mass because we have a “Birthday” party tomorrow for my brother (yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, and that isn’t the only reason)
Also, my Dad works during the day on Sunday. I feel embarrassed for the fact
these are such silly reasons. I am always questioning my family on why we go to confession every month or so. (sometimes even more :eek:) I feel that we need to go to confession more. My dad has grown up in a religious family and he used to pray the rosary every day, he went to a catholic school etc. My mom completed the RCIA program when she had first married my dad. I am really disappointed the fact that we rarely go to confession. I honestly hope my family sins less because we go to confession so little.

Please pray for me, and thank you so much for the support.
Is it possible for me to receive the Eucharist under mortal sin?
I feel inside that it is WRONG Wrong wrong, but I really want to receive the sacrament of communion.
 
You must not receive Holy Communion if you are not in a state of grace. I know that this can be hard. I know the desire to receive the Lord and I know how embarassing it can feel when you are the only person who doesn’t go up for Holy Communion in church. However, you must not abuse the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist by receiving it in a fallen state. If you cannot make it to confession before Mass then you should not receive our Lord.

As harsh as this sounds, I know that in my own experience the times when I’ve been in a similar situation I’ve found it to be a good kind of sorrow. I see everyone going up to receive the Lord and I am alone in the pew. It is then that I realize what I have given up through my sinful actions and I feel horrible. This is good. This leads to true repentance and a stronger desire to avoid sin. If your family asks you why you are not going up to receive simply tell them you cannot receive till you’ve gone to confession. If they press to know any details kindly tell them that that is between you and the Lord. Use the embarassment this may bring with it as a form of penance. Offer up the shame you may feel to God as a sign of your sincere repentance.

Lastly, know that you are not alone. Many people struggle with this addictive sin. It is not something you will conquer overnight. But do not lose hope. Trust in God and strive to follow His will. Know that no matter how often you fall that so long as you repent He will forgive you and accept you with open arms. The depths of the Lord’s mercy are fathomless.

God bless you and strengthen you in your struggles.
 
Thank you for such a great response.
I am comfortable doing this.
I will get to confession as soon as possible.
Now that I have heard this, this will be a great reason for my family to go to confession more.
 
I am always questioning my family on why we go to confession every month or so. (sometimes even more :eek:) I feel that we need to go to confession more. My dad has grown up in a religious family and he used to pray the rosary every day, he went to a catholic school etc. My mom completed the RCIA program when she had first married my dad. I am really disappointed the fact that we rarely go to confession. I honestly hope my family sins less because we go to confession so little.
I am going to assume that their is a typo in one of the to bolded statements. You state that you family goes to confession monthly and then you say that we rarely go. Monthly is amazing. The “requirement” is 1x a YEAR! so if you go monthly you are doing great.

Masturbation is a had thing to overcome especially as a teenager with a developing body and out of control horomones. While I am not trying to make excuses, I am simply pointing out that in a very real biological way, maturbation as a teenager is much harder to master then when you are in your 30s or 40s. However, if you don’t master it now, then by the time you are in your 30s your habit will be totally out of control.

Try and remind yourself that your body is a temple in which God dwells and that it is not a plaything. In a very real sense YOU are the church of Christ so don’t do anything to your body in private that you would not do publicly in church.
 
You may, however, go with the rest of the congregation to the Priest or Deacon (not the Eucharistic Minister(s)) and receive a blessing in place of the Holy Eucharist. Simply cross your arms across your chest (with each hand roughly at the opposite shoulder), and he will know what you are seeking.

Stay strong, and remember that God is merciful. I will pray for you. I wish you all the best in overcoming temptation and sin. We all tend to fall some time or another. Keep the faith, and you will prevail in the end. 🙂
 
A book you may want to read that has helped me and I know has helped others is Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West. It takes the greatly influential Theology of the Body by Pope John Paul II and makes it more accessible and concise so that the average lay person can really understand what the Pope was trying to teach us.

As for going up with your arms crossed to receive a blessing instead of the Holy Eucharist. Some people do not like this because it isn’t officially outlined by the Church. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the practice and have been to parishes that do this. However, before you do this you may want to make sure that your particular parish does this. Not every parish does this. If they don’t, then you might wind up not only embarassing yourself but also confusing the priest or deacon when you approach them.
 
You may, however, go with the rest of the congregation to the Priest or Deacon (not the Eucharistic Minister(s)) and receive a blessing in place of the Holy Eucharist. Simply cross your arms across your chest (with each hand roughly at the opposite shoulder), and he will know what you are seeking.

Stay strong, and remember that God is merciful. I will pray for you. I wish you all the best in overcoming temptation and sin. We all tend to fall some time or another. Keep the faith, and you will prevail in the end. 🙂
It isn’t a good idea to recommend that someone go to the priest for a blessing at Communion time unless you are certain it is being done in their parish. Strictly speaking, priests and deacons aren’t supposed to give blessings at this time although it is done in some parishes. When questioned, our former pastor explained that everyone is blessed at the end of Mass and he was quite willing to bless anyone after Mass but that the priest is not to give blessings at Communion time.
 
It isn’t a good idea to recommend that someone go to the priest for a blessing at Communion time unless you are certain it is being done in their parish. Strictly speaking, priests and deacons aren’t supposed to give blessings at this time although it is done in some parishes. When questioned, our former pastor explained that everyone is blessed at the end of Mass and he was quite willing to bless anyone after Mass but that the priest is not to give blessings at Communion time.
Thanks for explaining that. It is done at my parish, and I had mistakenly believed that it was available at any Roman Catholic Church.

And Adam325, I’m sorry for recommending that without knowing about your parish.
 
Once again, thanks for all the great replies.
I always pray everyday… but would God “answer” or hear me praying? Will he notice?
In other words, could I pray and be heard?
A Mortal sin is where I hurt God… so in doing so, am I still able to pray for forgiveness?
(This sounds so ridiculous, but I wasn’t fully educated about Mortal and Venial sin, I understand what they are, but I still have questions.) I probably should have consulted a priest or the internet…
 
I am going to assume that their is a typo in one of the to bolded statements. You state that you family goes to confession monthly and then you say that we rarely go. Monthly is amazing. The “requirement” is 1x a YEAR! so if you go monthly you are doing great.

Masturbation is a had thing to overcome especially as a teenager with a developing body and out of control horomones. While I am not trying to make excuses, I am simply pointing out that in a very real biological way, maturbation as a teenager is much harder to master then when you are in your 30s or 40s. However, if you don’t master it now, then by the time you are in your 30s your habit will be totally out of control.

Try and remind yourself that your body is a temple in which God dwells and that it is not a plaything. In a very real sense YOU are the church of Christ so don’t do anything to your body in private that you would not do publicly in church.
I like your answer.
This is a difficult sin to overcome for any younger person. (unmarried)
As a person matures they come to a better understanding of the changes we go through .

God bless,
bluelake
 
God always hears our prayers. No matter how much we sin, no matter how far we stray, the Lord never stops loving us. One of the greatest temptations of the evil one is the temptation to despair. To believe that the Lord will not forgive us, or will not hear our prayers, or that we should not go to confession because we are too wicked are all temptations sent to us by the devil. They may appear to be pious or stem from contrition, but in actuality they are lies. The Lord is Love and Mercy. He will always forgive us, He will always hear us. All we need to do is turn to Him. Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son. Better yet, remember the Lord’s crucifixion. He even forgave those who were torturing and executing Him. Will He not also forgive you?

You should definitely try to make an appointment to meet with your priest to discuss any and all spiritual questions you have. Don’t trust everything you read online. Anyone can post anything online, but that doesn’t make it true. Ask your priest for guidance. This is his job, he is meant to be a shepard to you in the name of the Lord. And don’t be embarassed to ask your priest anything, I assure you that he’s heard it all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top