Polish film on the influence of Martin Luther

• Thread starter Thread starter otrrl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
no one is saying there were no bibles in Catholic homes. There are decrees from time to time from popes that affect this issue , and the practice varies from place place, age to age…

no one is saying there were no bibles in Catholic homes. There are decrees from time to time from popes that affect this issue , and the practice varies from place place, age to age…
What you did say was
since Vat 2 bibles are in every home, encouraging family and private reading and devotions, but it has not always been so, with some rough patches for said reasons.
The way you phrase it says that before Vatican II that Catholics neither read nor were encouraged to read scripture which is a myth. Furthermore today we still are cautioned about reading unauthorized scripture translations mostly because of footnotes that often conflict with the true faith. .

The way you phrase it says that before Vatican II that Catholics neither read nor were encouraged to read scripture which is a myth
Understand…my take on how i wrote is that there were some rough patches in practice and implemnetation previous to vat 2 but not after, a 1900 year period…that is the previous 1900 years was not exactly as post vat 2…the myth and reaction to it can both be extreme misreptesentations.

Understand…my take on how i wrote is that there were some rough patches in practice and implemnetation previous to vat 2 but not after, a 1900 year period…that is the previous 1900 years was not exactly as post vat 2…the myth and reaction to it can both be extreme misreptesentations.
I am unsure of what you mean. But I am sure you are being careful as to not violate any rules but I am confused. I know that there are many misconceptions about the time period you refer to. I am sure since you know what you meant when you wrote it might be a surprise that others take a different meaning than the one you intended hence the discussion.

Well of course “No one is saying there were no bibles in Catholics homes”.

The denial of absolutism, does not justify extremism.

Last edited:
i guess i am saying there is always something behind myths, even if it be a grain of truth. , just as surely is there is always a grain behind a raindrop. We can deny the myth rightly so, but not the grain.

I believe, I might have the wrong show, but in an episode it says that there is some truth on which myths are built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back