Many Catholics disagree with me on this, just FYI – nobody has to come in here and flame me; they can just explain what they think is important and let the seeds grow together and let the harvester decide which shall prevail.
I think as citizens we should vote, and vote our Christian conscience to the best we can, taking all things into consideration. I was elected to a party position endorsed by conservative, pro-life Republicans (KRA – the Kansas Republican Assembly) and rubbed elbows with them. There were a couple gems, but almost everybody had an agenda, and was rabid about it. Honestly, though, the pro-lifers were very adamant and dedicated and “non-negotiating” like they are “supposed” to be, but in so being they bungled the only chance we had – for years to come and even now – to actually save late-term elective abortions from the infamous Dr. Tiller, whose politics were more cunning than the Republicans all put together. Finally a kook shot him in the head and that did what pro-lifers failed to do for decades – save babies from Tiller.
I say this not to tell you to vote pro-choice. Far from it. I’m just saying that voting for the most adamant pro-lifers on the ballot does not necessarily result in saving babies.
Not only that, but some of those guys were so sleazy you didn’t even want them in office pro-life or not. I voted for liberal Dan Glickman because I met the pathetic excuse for a human being, Roger Grund, who was running against him, at an anti-tax protest. OMG this person was despicable, and he even turned against the rest of us at the rally by saying he would handle the media, then giving them a different place to show up where he met with some of his goons. He could not be trusted to feel pain if I kicked him in the face. There are times you really have to vote, “non of the above.” And as bad as the Obamaman is, I couldn’t vote for Mint Romley who was a total jerk, who had constant foot-in-mouth disease. I could see him angering foreign powers by saying stupid things, and plus I thought he was a self-righteous buffoon. I think hes socially so clueless that he could actually invite attacks against our people all over the world. So who is worth voting for?
I’m in the red state Kansas, so our votes went to Romney no matter what, but I did have my silent protest by voting for Chuck Norris in 2012. I promise you, neither party has a corner on the evil market, and only a very small percentage of politicians I’ve met are really the kinds of people you want in leadership positions. Note that the ones who want to control other people the most are the ones who are going to.
With that out of the way, I think that the Church needs to promote the interior spiritual journey, and not be so loud and shrill about politics. Yes, tell us the issues, but then get back to items of faith, so we can all cleanse the planks out of our own eyes so we can go out into the world with greater power. Our faith is in Jesus, not in elected leaders. We know from Jesus’s prophecy that the corruption will increase; why let that get us down? Jesus’s peace He gave us is stronger than any political party, so if we get all worked up and emotional about who wins an election, then we are letting worldly problems prevent us from accepting the gift of peace from Jesus. I hear Christians whining and moaning all the time because of what politicians are doing, and going around being miserable because the world is going to hell. Hello? Isn’t this what our Savior said would happen? Sure we do what we can to slow it down, but if it even ruins one day than we have let the enemy win over Jesus in our hearts for that day. I mean really, can you just imagine what Jesus would tell His followers if they were so caught up in politics that the next news story determined their mood?
In case you can’t tell, I could write a great deal more, but I’ll leave this as my first shot.
Thank you for a great thread idea.
Alan