Politically Trapped

  • Thread starter Thread starter 4givemeasinner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time a gun is used, a life is taken. How can that be “pro-life”? Using a gun to defend your family – I won’t get into the morality of it – is not pro-life, it is simply giving you an edge in deciding which life is taken. “Pro-life” would be an outcome in which no life is lost.

And just FYI, as a general rule, I ignore any and all references to Hitler and/or Nazism in gun debates. Or any other.
Do you pay attention to any or all references to the Catholic Catechism?

CCC 2264
Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one’s own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:

If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . . Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one’s own life than of another’s.

As you can see, if I take the life of a person who was in the process of trying to take mine, then it is pro-life – according to the Church – because I am obligated to value my own life over that of an aggressor.

That just makes sense to me, but in case it doesn’t to you, then take the Church’s word for it. 😉

I can understand why you don’t want to address references to Hitler. Didn’t he believe in strict gun control? 👍

Alan
 
We don’t get to vote for a party without a candidate, though, and the presidential candidates both supported intrinsic evils.
True. But I was addressing the two “mainstream” strains of thought in the US, which imho are best represented by the actual party platforms rather than the party candidates. 🙂
 
If we all become saints in this life, the corrupt power structures of the world will get shrugged off like a heavy coat on a warm day. When we can no longer be manipulated by fear and greed, the ruling class will have nothing to control us with. That’s my political position right there.
 
Do you pay attention to any or all references to the Catholic Catechism?
It says self-defense is morally acceptable. It does not say “guns are pro-life”. In fact, I can’t seem to find the word “guns” in there anywhere.
because I am obligated to value my own life over that of an aggressor.
Nope, can’t find “aggressor” in there either. It says that one is “bound” to take more care of one’s own life than “another’s”. But on your interpretation that would mean stepping in front of a bullet to save my child would get me damned to hell.
I can understand why you don’t want to address references to Hitler. Didn’t he believe in strict gun control?
I ignore all references to Hitler and Nazism in Internet discussions because aside from the fact that they are generally intended to incite rather than enlighten, they are with but rare exception (no, you’re not one) nothing but ad hominem attacks. Nazi comparisons are so overused, in fact, that they’ve gained their own section in many books on logical fallacies: google “argumentum ad Nazium”. Google Godwin’s Law while you’re at it.

Let’s look at some of the other things Hitler, at one time or another, believed:

The sun rises in the east.
Germany is in Europe.
One plus one is two.
Hitler, by some accounts, was a vegetarian.
He enjoyed movies.
He was a teetotaler and non-smoker.
Hitler was raised Catholic.

Better start hitting the bars, breaking out the cigars, getting up on the west side of your bed – and by all means, stay away from the Catholic Church! Wouldn’t want to be caught agreeing with Hitler, doncha know?
 
If we all become saints in this life, the corrupt power structures of the world will get shrugged off like a heavy coat on a warm day. When we can no longer be manipulated by fear and greed, the ruling class will have nothing to control us with. That’s my political position right there.
👍 👍

:amen:
 
It says self-defense is morally acceptable. It does not say “guns are pro-life”. In fact, I can’t seem to find the word “guns” in there anywhere.
First, I did not say that the CCC mentioned guns, so you are setting up a straw man in place of what I actually said.

Second, guns would be one way to “deal a lethal blow,” or do you disagree with that? The CCC fails to tell us whether “lethal blow” includes only fists, elbows or knees, knives, baseball bats, guns, or whatever. You are the one who brought up the idea about guns ending a life – that is, IMO, a “lethal blow.” If you don’t agree, that’s fine with me because you are arguing minutia with me, which is a tipoff that your argument has no substance.

Perhaps you can write an addendum to the CCC that delineates precisely what type of “lethal blow” is and is not acceptable for self-defense. 😉
Nope, can’t find “aggressor” in there either. It says that one is “bound” to take more care of one’s own life than “another’s”. But on your interpretation that would mean stepping in front of a bullet to save my child would get me damned to hell.
No, not on my interpretation. My interpretation was to use the term “aggressor” in place of “another,” specifically to avoid your interpreting that CCC as saying what you’re claiming I said. It is your interpretation of the CCC, not my term, that would mean dying to save a child sends us to hell. Score: me:2, you:0
I ignore all references to Hitler and Nazism in Internet discussions because aside from the fact that they are generally intended to incite rather than enlighten, they are with but rare exception (no, you’re not one) nothing but ad hominem attacks.
How can I believe you on things we can’t see when you prevaricate here where we can see it? First of all, the first reference I saw to Hitler and Nazism was yours. When I commented on it, you have now responded. So your statement that you “ignore all references to Hitler and Nazism” is not only inoperative, you are actively injecting those things into the conversation. :whacky:

Me: 3, you:0
Nazi comparisons are so overused,
Then why are YOU making them?

Me: 3.5, you:0
argumentum ad Nazium". Google Godwin’s Law while you’re at it.
Let’s look at some of the other things Hitler, at one time or another, believed:
The sun rises in the east.
Germany is in Europe.
One plus one is two.
Hitler, by some accounts, was a vegetarian.
He enjoyed movies.
He was a teetotaler and non-smoker.
Hitler was raised Catholic.
Better start hitting the bars, breaking out the cigars, getting up on the west side of your bed – and by all means, stay away from the Catholic Church! Wouldn’t want to be caught agreeing with Hitler, doncha know?
Well, I’m intrigued that you are spending as much time on Hitler as you are, seeing as you “ignore all references” to him. :rolleyes:

Finally, your assertion that sharing any beliefs at all with Hitler is akin to sharing a belief on the strategy he used to do what he is infamous for doing, is without any consequence whatsoever. Me:4, you:0.

I wish the score were closer; this is too easy. And really I’m trying to give you points for making points, but thus far you haven’t come close enough to even round it up to 0.1. 🤓

If you just have a “bad feeling” about guns, why don’t you just say so instead of trying to argue a point with illogic? 🤷

Alan
 
If we all become saints in this life, the corrupt power structures of the world will get shrugged off like a heavy coat on a warm day. When we can no longer be manipulated by fear and greed, the ruling class will have nothing to control us with. That’s my political position right there.
👍
 
If we all become saints in this life, the corrupt power structures of the world will get shrugged off like a heavy coat on a warm day. When we can no longer be manipulated by fear and greed, the ruling class will have nothing to control us with. That’s my political position right there.
Nice ideals, Forkfoot, but unfortunately as long as mankind is tainted by original sin, this is very, very unlikely to happen.
 
With respect, I choose to live as though you’re dead wrong about that.
Certainly, I have no problem who believes that everyone can be saints, and indeed we all need to try to be saints. It was just that given the way society is going, it is unlikely that this will happen in the short term. I didn’t mean to be dismissive and I am sorry if I was.
 
The Democrats are more in tune than Republicans to social justice issues, issues that we are directly commanded by Christ in the gospels to pay heed too (care the poor, etc.)
I’m sorry, I disagree that Democrats are more in tune with social justice issues. If the issue is caring for the poor, etc., we, personally are commanded to do that. We are not commanded to vote in politicians to take $1,000 of our money in order to use $700 to pay the salaries and bureaucratic and office expenses required to hand over the remaining $300 to someone who has fallen on hard times. (I’m making up the numbers; I don’t know the ratio, but obviously it costs a great deal to support the many thousands of civil servants, offices, paperwork, computers, etc. that go into providing and handing out all these checks.)

I don’t see the Democratic party taking money by taxation from one group in order to disperse it as charity at all. Charity is something freely given, and when it’s given by the politicians, well, it was never theirs to give; if you regard it as ‘given’ by the people from whom it was taxed/taken, it’s still not freely given.
 
I’m sorry, I disagree that Democrats are more in tune with social justice issues. If the issue is caring for the poor, etc., we, personally are commanded to do that. We are not commanded to vote in politicians to take $1,000 of our money in order to use $700 to pay the salaries and bureaucratic and office expenses required to hand over the remaining $300 to someone who has fallen on hard times. (I’m making up the numbers; I don’t know the ratio, but obviously it costs a great deal to support the many thousands of civil servants, offices, paperwork, computers, etc. that go into providing and handing out all these checks.)

I don’t see the Democratic party taking money by taxation from one group in order to disperse it as charity at all. Charity is something freely given, and when it’s given by the politicians, well, it was never theirs to give; if you regard it as ‘given’ by the people from whom it was taxed/taken, it’s still not freely given.
Excellent post. In my opinion, the democRATS are not even concerned about helping those who are down on their luck; for them, it’s all about buying votes from the sick, lame and lazy with other people’s money, to keep them in power. I believe many of them would sell their very soul to stay in office, and it appears that they are doing just that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top