Poor Quality Catholic Bibles!

  • Thread starter Thread starter jamison
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamison

Guest
I’m a new Catholic who came from a Protestant background. Some o you may know my conversion story as it was talked about on here and I’m sure it’s searchable. Scripture has always been important to me. I just recently bought a new NRSV bible with the apocrypha from Cambridge. The bible is bound in a French Morocco leather cover. While the quality is good, it is not up to Cambridge’s finer standards. The cover is stiff instead of soft and supple. It does not have a leather lining. For an msrp of $140, this is dissapointing. I have a nkjv as well as couple kjv goatskin Bibles from Cambridge that have much nicer covers and lining. I have also a NASB bound in the finest calfskin from as well as some Nelson signature series. The covers on theese are a beauty to behold. Finally I have an ESV by RL. Allen, considered to be the finest bible maker in the world.
My problem is now that I’m a Catholic, a Bible of this quality is nowhere to be found. I can purchase a nrsv from rl allans but it lacks the apocrypha. It is disturbing that a heirloom quality Catholic bible seems unattainable. Is It only me who is bothered by this? Are Catholics simply less concerned about a quality bible? It seems I will be forced to carry a Protestant version as it’s the only quality bible up to par. Something needs to be done about this.
If anyone knows of any Catholic bible that is published in a quality goatskin non hardcover and signature bound, please inform me. It seems Catholics just don’t produce finer quality bibles and Im forced to use a Protestant translation.
 
new orthodox study bible hardback cheaper better quality inside and out
 
I’m a new Catholic who came from a Protestant background. Some o you may know my conversion story as it was talked about on here and I’m sure it’s searchable. Scripture has always been important to me. I just recently bought a new NRSV bible with the apocrypha from Cambridge. The bible is bound in a French Morocco leather cover. While the quality is good, it is not up to Cambridge’s finer standards. The cover is stiff instead of soft and supple. It does not have a leather lining. For an msrp of $140, this is dissapointing. I have a nkjv as well as couple kjv goatskin Bibles from Cambridge that have much nicer covers and lining. I have also a NASB bound in the finest calfskin from as well as some Nelson signature series. The covers on theese are a beauty to behold. Finally I have an ESV by RL. Allen, considered to be the finest bible maker in the world.
My problem is now that I’m a Catholic, a Bible of this quality is nowhere to be found. I can purchase a nrsv from rl allans but it lacks the apocrypha. It is disturbing that a heirloom quality Catholic bible seems unattainable. Is It only me who is bothered by this? Are Catholics simply less concerned about a quality bible? It seems I will be forced to carry a Protestant version as it’s the only quality bible up to par. Something needs to be done about this.
If anyone knows of any Catholic bible that is published in a quality goatskin non hardcover and signature bound, please inform me. It seems Catholics just don’t produce finer quality bibles and Im forced to use a Protestant translation.
I may be missing something here but what does the binding, cover and paper quality matter? Isn’t the content the most important thing, not the appearance? Are you buying a bible to display or to help you open your heart and mind to the Word of God?

When I first read this I thought you were joking, but then there is the sad possibility that you are serious.

I humbly suggest you buy five $30 bibles, keep one and donate the others to those who may not be able to afford a “cheap” bible, much less a $140 version.
 
I’m simply not attracted to a hardcover bible. To similar to any other book I prefer a traditional bible feel.
Really? My fiance and I have been looking at bibles to be our family bible. All of the ones we’ve looked at are very nice hard covers. I’m kind of partial to the idea of getting a Douay-Rheims translation, I’ve seen some very nice ones. Fiance however has her eye on a white one (can’t remember if it’s leather) though. I will admit I like the idea of the full color illistrations in the white ones. We’ll have to see how things play.

But either way, man are the hard covers really nice!

Edit
BTW, you can browse the selection here. It’s a catholic book store in Raleigh NC (not far from me), they ship via internet order too. At the very least they have a very selection which should give you some ideas

www.inhisname.com
 
I may be missing something here but what does the binding, cover and paper quality matter? Isn’t the content the most important thing, not the appearance? Are you buying a bible to display or to help you open your heart and mind to the Word of God?

When I first read this I thought you were joking, but then there is the sad possibility that you are serious.

I humbly suggest you buy five $30 bibles, keep one and donate the others to those who may not be able to afford a “cheap” bible, much less a $140 version.
I’m really quite shocked at your assumption. NO I am not buying a Bible for a “display” and your sillyness is offensive. Let be clear so as to avoid and future simplemindedness. To the contrary of “displaying” a Bible, I actually use them so much that they fall apart. I have hours upon hours of notes in my bibles so it is not a joy to have them fall apart so easily. Really, this is a common problem for those who actually use their Bible daily. Also, I believe a the Holy Bible should be made in a quality fashion. Thanks for your “humble” inquiry.
 
Been there. Not sure if you actually read my post. There is nothing of top quality there that is Catholic. Thanks for the reply anyway.
This is the one i was referring to. Regularly $120 on sale for $90

NRSV Cambridge with Apocrypha Reference Edition, Black French Morocco Leather

Cambridge ISBN: 0521681316 Edition: French morocco leather Price: 119.99 Dimensions: 8 7/8 x 6 5/8 x 1 1/2 Number of Pages: 1,504 Publication Date: J… Click here for more info…

Other than that ebay has some deals from time to time.
 
This is the one i was referring to. Regularly $120 on sale for $90

NRSV Cambridge with Apocrypha Reference Edition, Black French Morocco Leather

Cambridge ISBN: 0521681316 Edition: French morocco leather Price: 119.99 Dimensions: 8 7/8 x 6 5/8 x 1 1/2 Number of Pages: 1,504 Publication Date: J… Click here for more info…

Other than that ebay has some deals from time to time.
Thanks so much for this recommendation. Oddly enough, this is the bible I was talking about in my original post. I just recieved that Bible. It is definately a quality Bible, unfortunately the cover and binding is just not up to par with the other ones mentioned. Very stiff. As for hardcovers, I prefer a soft Bible that’s more mobile as I’m always taking it everywhere. One day I will look into buying a hardcover for the family though. Just have to get a family first, lol. Thanks again my brother.
 
I may be missing something here but what does the binding, cover and paper quality matter? Isn’t the content the most important thing, not the appearance? Are you buying a bible to display or to help you open your heart and mind to the Word of God?

When I first read this I thought you were joking, but then there is the sad possibility that you are serious.

I humbly suggest you buy five $30 bibles, keep one and donate the others to those who may not be able to afford a “cheap” bible, much less a $140 version.
Sure, purchasing many inexpensive bibles is always a good idea if the intention is to give them out to those who need them. I hope everyone (Catholic) does this!

However, there is always a need for a bible which will last the tests of time and be used by the entire family for at least one and hopefully more generations. Provided of course that bible does not cause financial hardship to the family purchasing it.

It’s not sad at all. It about passing happy memories about reading the bible on to your family members in the hope that they will continue to read and have faith and pass on inexpensive bibles to those who need them.
 
I’m really quite shocked at your assumption. NO I am not buying a Bible for a “display” and your sillyness is offensive. Let be clear so as to avoid and future simplemindedness. To the contrary of “displaying” a Bible, I actually use them so much that they fall apart. I have hours upon hours of notes in my bibles so it is not a joy to have them fall apart so easily. Really, this is a common problem for those who actually use their Bible daily. Also, I believe a the Holy Bible should be made in a quality fashion. Thanks for your “humble” inquiry.
It wasn’t really an assumption, but a question. I apologize for appearing to be offensive. I guess I have never considered spending $140 or more for a bible, or was concerned about what type of leather cover it had. My bibles are admittedly inexpensive, and they do get used. No leather covers (except for the 120 year old bible that belonged to my great-grandparents, but I don’t read THAT one very frequently). And I have known family members who used the same bible for many decades without it falling apart. Maybe they just don’t make them like they used to.

I think of Jesus, the Word, who was not clothed in fine garments and fancy coverings, but rather in simple and plain clothing. If it was okay for THAT Word to be clothed plainly, it seems just as appropriate for the Word of God in my bibles to be “dressed” in a similar manner.

I was also reading between the lines and thinking that you were disparaging Catholics for not having “quality” Bibles. My further apologies if I was reading too much into your post.
 
I have about ten bibles, most of them protestant versions, and I guess I never noticed that their bindings were much better than a Catholic one.

I even shopped at the Moody bookstore in Chicago which has more types of Bibles than I could possibly imagine,and I didn’t see any which stood out or were hawked for their quality of binding – and I say this not to be critical, but just factual.

I’ve given away some copies of the Bible to family members, and I just never see all those meaningful notes I made – gave them away with the hope that my notes would be of value to them.

I can sympathize with this problem because of a related problem that I have – a “good” durable rosary.

I had one by accident that was a “heavy duty” rosary, but I broke that one too, by carrying it in my pocket (without a pouch). Even though I’m a guy, I don’t feel the least limited to using just a black rosary – my next rosary will be the most beautiful one that I can afford.
 
just an idea…

could purchase a Catholic bible eg RSV-CE or other, and get it rebound with leather at a company like leonardsbooks.com/bible_rebinding.htm.
After checking this site out, I have to say that, it looks to me as though it would actually be just as reasonable to buy the Bible you want in a good (though not great, material-wise) binding, & let these people re-cover it for you.

(On a personal note: If I ever find out that anybody in my friends & family knew and:bighanky::bighanky: did not tell me, that there is a place that would put a:extrahappy::love: leopard-print cover on my Bible, that person is:nunchuk: seriously :slapfight::blackeye:TOAST!!!):whistle:
 
I’m a new Catholic who came from a Protestant background. Some o you may know my conversion story as it was talked about on here and I’m sure it’s searchable. Scripture has always been important to me. I just recently bought a new NRSV bible with the apocrypha from Cambridge. The bible is bound in a French Morocco leather cover. While the quality is good, it is not up to Cambridge’s finer standards. The cover is stiff instead of soft and supple. It does not have a leather lining. For an msrp of $140, this is dissapointing. I have a nkjv as well as couple kjv goatskin Bibles from Cambridge that have much nicer covers and lining. I have also a NASB bound in the finest calfskin from as well as some Nelson signature series. The covers on theese are a beauty to behold. Finally I have an ESV by RL. Allen, considered to be the finest bible maker in the world.
My problem is now that I’m a Catholic, a Bible of this quality is nowhere to be found. I can purchase a nrsv from rl allans but it lacks the apocrypha. It is disturbing that a heirloom quality Catholic bible seems unattainable. Is It only me who is bothered by this? Are Catholics simply less concerned about a quality bible? It seems I will be forced to carry a Protestant version as it’s the only quality bible up to par. Something needs to be done about this.
If anyone knows of any Catholic bible that is published in a quality goatskin non hardcover and signature bound, please inform me. It seems Catholics just don’t produce finer quality bibles and Im forced to use a Protestant translation.
Jamison,

I do appreciate your search for a premium leather Catholic Bible. Unfortunately, like you have seen, many Catholic Bible publishers choose to go with bonded leather, which is a real shame. I too have the NRSV Cambridge edition you mentioned, and I share many of your feelings about it as well.

I did a quick search earlier this year for premium Bibles that a Catholic could use, which I posted on my blog: catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2009/03/premium-leather-bible-round-up.html

Perhaps this will help. Hopefully, we will have some more options in the near future.
 
Because of my poverty I always buy second hand Bibles …only a few dollars. I actually enjoy reading the original owner’s notes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top