Pope Gregory against the Papacy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SonofMonica
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SonofMonica

Guest
I read the following and am interested if anyone has any answer to this charge:
The Fraudulent Papacy:
The first bishop of Rome to wield the kind of power for which the papacy is now known, was Gregory 1 (Gregory the Great) whose 14-year episcopate began in the very last decade of the SIXTH CENTURY – AD 590-604. But this man was adamantly opposed to the very papal office that the Vatican insists he occupied as the 64th successor to the Apostle Peter. In a letter to Maurice, the Emperor, Gregory had this to say:

“I confidently affirm that who so calls himself, or desires to be called Universal Priest, (Pontifex Maximus), in his pride goes before anti-Christ……St. Peter is not called Universal Apostle ….Far from CHRISTIAN (not Catholic) hearts be that blasphemous name.”

To the bishop of Antioch in another letter, Gregory wrote that the title of Universal (Catholic) Bishop was:

“profane, superstitious, haughty, and invented by the first apostate."
Anybody have any answers or sources to point me to? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely and respectfully,

SonofMonica
 
I read the following and am interested if anyone has any answer to this charge:

Anybody have any answers or sources to point me to? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely and respectfully,

SonofMonica
SoM, the title “universal bishop” that Gregory rejected did not even refer to the Pope of Rome; it was in reference to the Bishop of Constantinople who was trying to adopt the title “Ecumenical Patriarch,” which is a title that he eventually did acquire (after the split from Rome) and one that he holds to this day. What this title (which was a political title given to him by the Empire) originally meant was that the Bishop of Constantinople would alone have the right to call Ecumenical Councils and the sole authority to ratify them. This made him “universal bishop” for the empire, and this is what St. Gregory and a great many Eastern bishops were objecting to at the time.

The objection had nothing to do with a rejection of primacy (viz. the place of the Pope of Rome for the universal Church, or the place of a patriarch within his given patriarchate), but had to do with the idea of the imperial government usurping the local rights of bishops and superceding their positions as a norm, which is something that Roman primacy did not do. For example, Gregory writes:
“Consider, I pray thee, that in this rash presumption the peace of the whole Church is disturbed, and that [the title of Ecumenical Patriarch] is in contradiction to the grace that is poured out on all in common; in which grace doubtless thou thyself wilt have power to grow so far as thou determinist with thyself to do so. And thou wilt become by so much the greater as thou restrainest thyself from the usurpation of a proud and foolish title: and thou wilt make advance in proportion as thou are not bent on arrogation by derogation of thy brethren… Certainly Peter, the first of the apostles, himself a member of the holy and universal Church, Paul, Andrew, John-what were they but heads of particular communities? And yet all were members under one Head…the prelates of this Apostolic See, which by the providence of God I serve, had the honor offered them of being called universal by the venerable Council of Chalcedon. But yet not one of them has ever wished to be called by such a title, or seized upon this ill-advised name, lest if, in virtue of the rank of the pontificate he took to himself the glory of singularity, he might seem to have denied it to all his brethren… (Book V, Epistle XVIII)”
What the charge you cite has missed in this is that while Gregory recognized his own Roman primacy to have universal authority (universal authority which was legally recognized by the Empire through the Council of Chalcedon), he did not believe, as did the promoters of the Ecumenical Patriarch title, that this detracted from the local and regional authority of individual bishops or make them pawns of a higher, legal authority. This is not the true position of the Catholic Church today, or ever, for, unlike the original, medieval claim of the Ecumenical Patriarch title (a political title which was designed to centralize all Church authority in the imperial capital of Constantinople), Gregory and all other bishops of Rome did not see their universal authority in the sense of a “universal bishop,” but in the sense of a final court of appeal **if ** there was a crisis that could not be settled locally or regionally by the bishops involved. For example, writing to Bishop John of Syracuse (in Sicily - a Byzantine province at the time) and discussing the crisis connected to the Bishop of Constantinople’s claim of the Ecumenical Patriarch title, Pope Gregory clearly says:
“As to what he (the Bishop of Constantinople) says, that he is subject to the Apostolic See (Rome), I know of no bishop who is not subject to it, if there be any fault found in bishops.” (Pope Gregory I Ep. Ad. Joan.)
So, despite claims to the contrary, Gregory clearly did not deny his own Roman primacy.

Also, in 590, Pope Gregory receives this oath from a bishop returning from schism:
“And, therefore, after I discovered the snare of division by which I was held, I humbly and spontaneously was led by Divine grace to return to the unity of the Apostolic See (Rome), lest I be thought to return not through a pure intention but deceitfully, I swear, upon pain of the loss of my order, and under the bond of anathema, and promise to thee, and through thee to St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and to his vicar, the most blessed Gregory or his successors, that I will never, through anyone’s persuasion or in any other way, return to schism, from which I have been delivered through the mercy of the Redeemer, but shall always remain, through all things, in the unity of the Holy Catholic Church and the communion of the Roman Pontiff.” (St. Gregory the Great, Register of Epistles, Book XII, Ep. 7)
For Gregory, unity with the church of Rome was unity with the Catholic Church.
 
Wow, thanks for the prompt and very insightful reply. So am I correct in surmising from your post that both Gregory and the Catholic Church, as it sits today, teach that the Pope is not a universal bishop, but rather is a final appeal from the immediate authority of the local ordinary? I thought that the Catholic Church taught not only Papal Primacy but Papal Supremacy, which I took to mean that he is a universal bishop.
 
Wow, thanks for the prompt and very insightful reply. So am I correct in surmising from your post that both Gregory and the Catholic Church, as it sits today, teach that the Pope is not a universal bishop, but rather is a final appeal from the immediate authority of the local ordinary? I thought that the Catholic Church taught not only Papal Primacy but Papal Supremacy, which I took to mean that he is a universal bishop.
He is. 😉 The pope does have immediate and universal jurisdiction and so this is a correct title for him, but not in the manner that Gregory was speaking against. He rightly saw the use of it by the patriarch of Constantinople as a denial of the authority of local bishops, making them mere figureheads under the See of Constantinople to the effect that other bishops would not be seen as successors of the Apostles and would not have authority in their own right within their own dioceses.
 
I read the following and am interested if anyone has any answer to this charge:

Anybody have any answers or sources to point me to? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely and respectfully,

SonofMonica
The dangers of the web! Where are you getting all of this, um, “stuff”? Even if he said these words, in what context were they spoken? The evil one uses words, even inspired words, out of context in order to tempt. He tried and failed with Jesus. He tries and succeeds with man.
 
The dangers of the web! Where are you getting all of this, um, “stuff”? Even if he said these words, in what context were they spoken? The evil one uses words, even inspired words, out of context in order to tempt. He tried and failed with Jesus. He tries and succeeds with man.
Not sure what the rule is about this, but it is a website called Contender Ministries. I know that people can use scripture for anything. But I want to always be ready and able to give a defense, so when someone makes a point I haven’t considered before, this site is where I turn to get my Catholic Answers. 😃
 
He is. 😉 The pope does have immediate and universal jurisdiction and so this is a correct title for him, but not in the manner that Gregory was speaking against. He rightly saw the use of it by the patriarch of Constantinople as a denial of the authority of local bishops, making them mere figureheads under the See of Constantinople to the effect that other bishops would not be seen as successors of the Apostles and would not have authority in their own right within their own dioceses.
Okay, so it is okay to acknowledge that the Pope is a universal bishop, and may exercise legitimate Petrine authority in any jurisdiction alongside the ordinary of that particular jurisdiction, as long as we don’t carry that to the extent that all other bishops derive their authority from and through the Pope? What is the practical difference?
 
Okay, so it is okay to acknowledge that the Pope is a universal bishop, and may exercise legitimate Petrine authority in any jurisdiction alongside the ordinary of that particular jurisdiction, as long as we don’t carry that to the extent that all other bishops derive their authority from and through the Pope? What is the practical difference?
Correct; their authority is derived directly from their succession by the laying-on of hands. One of the practical differences can be seen when looking at such “recent” teachings from the See of Rome regarding artificicial contraception, in-vitro fertilization, and the male-only priesthood. Local bishops on their own authority did then and do now teach the Catholic Faith on these issues, but when the Bishop of Rome speaks, knowing that he is the universal shepherd there can be no doubt among the faithful as to the universal teaching on these matters - they can’t put it down to their local bishop being out of the mainstream of cultural mores.
 
Not sure what the rule is about this, but it is a website called Contender Ministries. I know that people can use scripture for anything. But I want to always be ready and able to give a defense, so when someone makes a point I haven’t considered before, this site is where I turn to get my Catholic Answers. 😃
For the most part, I simply ignore such websites, which are “usually” well-meaning, but always afflicted with some degree of ignorance of history. Since the Lutheran rebellion, it has become necessary for those outside of the Catholic Church to justify their existence. This need has been filled with all manner of “evidence” and personal opinions, ranging from good-hearted to the vile and venomous. As you can see, Pope Saint Gregory’s quote was taken out of context. This can occur either of two ways: ignorance of malice. As FCEGM has pointed out, this statement was addressed to a particular problem that we all thought was long past.

Many are the mistakes of bible-based groups, as their resource book is incomplete.
 
Correct; their authority is derived directly from their succession by the laying-on of hands. One of the practical differences can be seen when looking at such “recent” teachings from the See of Rome regarding artificicial contraception, in-vitro fertilization, and the male-only priesthood. Local bishops on their own authority did then and do now teach the Catholic Faith on these issues, but when the Bishop of Rome speaks, knowing that he is the universal shepherd there can be no doubt among the faithful as to the universal teaching on these matters - they can’t put it down to their local bishop being out of the mainstream of cultural mores.
I guess my question was, what is the practical difference between the sort of authority Patriarchate of Constantinople wanted, and the authority the Papacy of Rome has?

You are saying that both the hypothetical power of Constantinople and the recognized power of Rome would be full and immediate in every jurisdiction. The difference would be in whether the power of local ordinaries was derived from apostolic succession or whether it was derived from Petrine sucession. I understand that we believe the case is the former–a local bishop gets his authority from the apostles. Okay. What I do not understand is what practical difference that makes.

In other words, how does that difference help Gregory’s case that the Patriarchate of Constantinople should not have universal jurisdiction, while allowing for Rome to exercise the same universal jurisdiction? I don’t see how the source of the ordinary’s power makes a bit of difference as to the scope of a universal bishop’s power.
 
I guess my question was, what is the practical difference between the sort of authority Patriarchate of Constantinople wanted, and the authority the Papacy of Rome has?

You are saying that both the hypothetical power of Constantinople and the recognized power of Rome would be full and immediate in every jurisdiction. The difference would be in whether the power of local ordinaries was derived from apostolic succession or whether it was derived from Petrine sucession. I understand that we believe the case is the former–a local bishop gets his authority from the apostles. Okay. What I do not understand is what practical difference that makes.

In other words, how does that difference help Gregory’s case that the Patriarchate of Constantinople should not have universal jurisdiction, while allowing for Rome to exercise the same universal jurisdiction? I don’t see how the source of the ordinary’s power makes a bit of difference as to the scope of a universal bishop’s power.
We can see it practically in that bishops are free to teach the Faith, ordain priests and deacons for their own dioceses; these men act as the local voice of their bishops in teaching and in conferring the Sacraments to lead the members of the Church to sanctity. To be “sole bishop” (John the Faster’s intent) would negate this authority and aggregate to himself alone the authority to teach the Faith and ordain priests for the sacramental life of the Church, and be the lone voice in the daily jurisdiction of each and every diocese.

This news article on collegiality speaks to the issue:

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0505799.htm
 
I read the following and am interested if anyone has any answer to this charge:

Sincerely and respectfully,

SonofMonica
Why are you giving credence to all of these ridiculous and outlandish claims? I would take the stance that it is up to them to provide primary sources and prove their contentions to me!

Jesus Christ, when He founded The Church said to those that He gave charge of it to “He who hears you, hears me; He who rejects you rejects me”. The Bible says that it is The Church that is “The Pillar and Foundation of Truth”. I would tend to listen to The Church that Jesus Christ founded rather than these fellows you are talking to!
 
Why are you giving credence to these ridiculous claims? I would take the stance that it is up to them to provide primary sources and prove their contentions to me!
Well, I admit that I don’t know much about the Councils at all beyond some basic information like the Council of Nicea producing the Nicene Creed. It was just posted on a website (i.e., not directed at me personally), and I didn’t know the place to go look for the Catholic Answer to such a charge, so I posted it here and asked you guys. 🤷
 
Why are you giving credence to all of these ridiculous and outlandish claims? I would take the stance that it is up to them to provide primary sources and prove their contentions to me!

Jesus Christ, when He founded The Church said to those that He gave charge of it to “He who hears you, hears me; He who rejects you rejects me”. The Bible says that it is The Church that is “The Pillar and Foundation of Truth”. I would tend to listen to The Church that Jesus Christ founded rather than these fellows you are talking to!
Well, it is good to inform yourself, but you need to start at the beginning. Jesus Christ founded the Church, He gave St. Peter ‘The Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven’ and All Authority in Heaven and on Earth has been given to me. As the father sent me so Also I send you… Jesus also said “He who hears you, hears me; He who rejects you rejects me”. The Bible says that it is The Church “The Pillar and Foundation of Truth”.
So, start with Jesus Christ and His Church!

Given the above, if your faith and knowledge is strong, you can take on these guys. Otherwise, to avoid risk to your Faith, I would begin to study The Faith. There is a book available on Catholic Answers titles The Essential Catholic Survival Guide. It is an excellent compendium of the most common Protestant objections along with sound refutations of them. I would suggest getting it. Also, if you have an mp3 player or an iPOD, you can get some excellent podcast talks here: catholic.com/audio/podcast/podcaster.php.
I would suggest spending some time with these and the Essentian Catholic Survival Guide to build up the knowledge of the faith so that you are prepared to give a defense for the Hope that is within you.

God bless you and give you His wisdom.

Your Servant in Christ.
 
In other words, how does that difference help Gregory’s case that the Patriarchate of Constantinople should not have universal jurisdiction, while allowing for Rome to exercise the same universal jurisdiction? I don’t see how the source of the ordinary’s power makes a bit of difference as to the scope of a universal bishop’s power.
I will try to answer this question with St. Gregory’s own words:

Now eight years ago, in the time of my predecessor of holy memory Pelagius, our brother and fellow-bishop John in the city of Constantinople, seeking occasion from another cause, held a synod in which he attempted to call himself Universal Bishop. Which as soon as my said predecessor knew, he despatched letters annulling by the authority of the holy apostle Peter the acts of the said synod; of which letters I have taken care to send copies to your Holiness.

newadvent.org/fathers/360205043.htm

St. Gregory didn’t like the term “universal bishop” because John the Faster (bishop of Constantinople) attempted to use the term to hold an invalid synod. But look at what Pope Pelagius (Gregory’s predecessor) did. He annulled the entire synod single-handedly by the authority invested in him through St. Peter.

To show you how badly non-Catholics have taken this single phrase out of context, we need only look the actions Pope Gregory actually took. Here is one of them:

Of the privileges of Monasteries.

We therefore interdict in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, and forbid by the authority of the blessed Peter, Prince of the apostles, in whose stead we preside over this Roman Church, that any bishop or secular person hereafter presume in any way to devise occasions of interfering with regard to the revenues, property, or writings of monasteries, or of the cells or vills thereto appertaining, or have recourse to any tricks or exactions: but, if any case should by chance arise as to land disputed between their churches and any monasteries, and it cannot be arranged amicably, let it be terminated without intentional delay before selected abbots and other fathers who fear God, sworn upon the most holy Gospels.

newadvent.org/fathers/360202041.htm

Pope Gregory didn’t like the term “universal bishop” that John the Faster used to usurp authority to hold his own synod. That’s it. The actions and words of St. Gregory otherwise all show that he spoke and acted like a Pope.
 
To show you how badly non-Catholics have taken this single phrase out of context, we need only look the actions Pope Gregory actually took… Pope Gregory didn’t like the term “universal bishop” that John the Faster used to usurp authority to hold his own synod. That’s it. The actions and words of St. Gregory otherwise all show that he spoke and acted like a Pope.
The non-Catholic sources that cite all of these “proofs” either:
  1. Quote the exception that proves the rule, or
  2. Quote out of context.
Saint Jerome this, Pope Gregory that… They all conveniently overlook the fact that Catholic leaders who might have dissented on a given subject all remained faithful and obedient to the Church, regardless of their personal opinions. As well, out-of-context quotes were employed by Satan to tempt Christ. Those who clumsily employ similar tactics flatter only themselves in attempting to approach the same level of subterfuge.
 
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the scholarly answers. When it comes to matters of faith, I can go toe-to-toe with Protestants on scripture and Eucharist, etc. But when it comes to matters of history, politics, church councils, specific popes and their actions, etc. I am afraid I am woefully deficient. My background is business and law, and I never took many history classes in college, I’m afraid. I’m just beginning to read about the Roman empire and Constantinople and all that, so hopefully I will be better equipped to engage these topics in the future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top