Link doesn’t work. Here’s one that does.Pope Francis has sent a seven-minute video message to a Pentecostal gathering sponsored by Kenneth Copeland Ministries.During the message, the Pope emphasized that Christians are …
More…
Thanks, SH.Here’s the video. His Holiness hopes for unity and asks for prayers.
Uhmm . . . Kenneth Copeland is not a “minor” American religious leader. He is one of the most recognized and influential leaders in the Word of Faith movement, which is a significant and growing segment of the Pentecostal/charismatic world, which itself is one of if not the most fastest growing denomination in Christianity.But: Kenneth Copeland Ministries isn’t a church, it’s a movement. It continues to encourage people to reject the Eucharist, Sacred Tradition…and even causes its members to say that Catholics aren’t Christians.
I’m not clear why the holy Father would address a “minor” American religious movement leader through Fr. Palmer.
The Pentecostal response is here: youtube.com/watch?v=b5TwrG8B3ME.
Tony Palmer gives a lengthy introduction. The Pope’s video starts around 31 minutes. And the Pentecostal response begins around 38:44.
That’s based upon the following scripture.I watched this video yesterday. I struggled a little during the first 10+ minutes or so, and then just decided to take a deep breath and watch it all the way through…after all, Raymond Arroyo posted it…
I thought Tony did a pretty good job at addressing his audience, but there were a few remarks that I struggled with…no biggie!
However, at the conclusion of the video of Pope Francis, Kenneth Copeland went into prayer, as the pope had asked for them to do…“Please pray for me” .
Kenneth said to his audience “Come on, the man asked us to pray for him”…“Oh Father, Father we answer his request, and since we know not how to pray for him, how we ought but then to agree with him in his quest, in his heart for the unity of the body of Christ we come together in the unity of our faith…Hallelujah…according to scripture when we know not how we ought to pray, we pray for him in the spirit”
(kinda cool to watch someone speak in tongues. I hadn’t seen that since I was a child)
Anyway, I’m sorry, I don’t follow this prayer…especially this part of it… “and since we know not how to pray for him, how we ought” can someone help me understand.?
I do pray for unity with all Christians…and always pray for the persecuted Christians…
To be fair, the Pope spoke in an earthly “language of the heart,” in a language the audience largely didn’t understand. It was just missing the rest of 2Cor14 and didn’t provide interpretation or subtitles.Glossolalia is only one part of that and is the trademark of Pentecostalism.
To be fair, all Christians share the faith of the Martyrs.Word of faith movement is not one that rings true to the Word of God. If we were meant to never have any problems or tribulations in our lives, then what was with all those martyrs in the first 300 years of our most holy faith?![]()
As another poster said, it’s based on Romans 8:26. Pentecostals do believe that praying in tongues can be a means to pray the perfect will of the Father because the speaking in tongues is given “as the Spirit gives utterance.”Anyway, I’m sorry, I don’t follow this prayer…especially this part of it… “and since we know not how to pray for him, how we ought” can someone help me understand.?
Me too.I have to say I’m surprised by how little attention this is getting.
By now many are past being surprised by the Holy Father.I have to say I’m surprised by how little attention this is getting.
I grew up in the pentecostal tradition, which is predominantly and viciously anti-Catholic.Uhmm . . . Kenneth Copeland is not a “minor” American religious leader. He is one of the most recognized and influential leaders in the Word of Faith movement, which is a significant and growing segment of the Pentecostal/charismatic world, which itself is one of if not the most fastest growing denomination in Christianity.
And Pentecostals like Kenneth Copeland are much less hostile to the Catholic Church than people give them credit for. Copeland actually defended the Catholic Church when John Hagee was on his program once. Copeland said, “The Roman Church at this time is filled with people that love God with all their heart” and went on to praise the Catholic Church for supporting the Charismatic Renewal.