Positive Aspects of IRISH Culture!

• Thread starter Thread starter FightingFat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FightingFat

Well, I’ve waited long enough for LilyoftheValley to get her/his act together…I thought I’d do the job for them!

🙂

Lets start with the village where my family live-

http://www.geocities.com/shadowoftheeagle_2000/images/Croagh_Patrick_from_Murrisk_Abbey.jpg

Which nestles under St. Patricks Holy Mountain, on the shore of Clew Bay-

http://www.geocities.com/shadowoftheeagle_2000/images/old_head.bmp

Next stop Boston, as my Grandfather always said!

Home of the National Famine Monument…

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~pg2/murrisk2.jpg

And a wonderful 15th century Augustinian Abbey, where my family have been buried for generations (and I hope to rest one day…The view is great and the craigh would be mighty!)

http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/mayo/murriskabbey4.JPG

Any other Mayo descendants on the board?

Not me, although the moderators will be be pleased with your widescreen pictures.😃 after they told us to keep with in the paramaters.

Anyway i’ve been on this mountain a few times, climbed it once, it took me 3 hours.

I love the West port, it is a beautiful town, It’s my favourite town in Ireland, and I’ve been in most counties, haven’t been to Kerry yet but hope to soon, it’s a long drive but you can always make a few stops on the way.
Heres a virtual tour of Westport mayo-ireland.ie/virtualtours/westport.htm use the arrows at the bottom of the image to scroll and zoom, there are other places on the virtual tour list. Newport is a lovely town as well, a bit similar to Westport.

The Knockmealdown mountains down by Waterford, Offaly area,are something else, and the drive up what is known as the “V” is so beautiful.
Another breath-taking place is the drive into Sligo “Yeats” country, the mountains and valleys there are mind-blowing.
http://www.moytura.com/glencar.jpg
The Glencar waterfall is nice, it’s so peaceful, it’s in Leitrim, on the drive on to Sligo.

Ireland is beautiful to be sure… You must have missed the Ireland thread because we did have one going. We wouldn’t leave you out! If I had to choose one place to live other than here at home, that is where I would do. It is my favorite vacation destination. The people of Ireland are the best part of the trip. They are the best! Did I mention that I am biased?

(Joshua):
Not me, although the moderators will be be pleased with your widescreen pictures.😃 after they told us to keep with in the paramaters.

Anyway i’ve been on this mountain a few times, climbed it once, it took me 3 hours.

I love the West port, it is a beautiful town, It’s my favourite town in Ireland, and I’ve been in most counties, haven’t been to Kerry yet but hope to soon, it’s a long drive but you can always make a few stops on the way.
Heres a virtual tour of Westport mayo-ireland.ie/virtualtours/westport.htm use the arrows at the bottom of the image to scroll and zoom, there are other places on the virtual tour list. Newport is a lovely town as well, a bit similar to Westport.

The Knockmealdown mountains down by Waterford, Offaly area,are something else, and the drive up what is known as the “V” is so beautiful.
Another breath-taking place is the drive into Sligo “Yeats” country, the mountains and valleys there are mind-blowing.
http://www.moytura.com/glencar.jpg
The Glencar waterfall is nice, it’s so peaceful, it’s in Leitrim, on the drive on to Sligo.
Joshua, go to Kerry, whether its Dingle Bay, around the Ring or wherever, when God made the country he put his imagination into Ireland but his soul into Kerry!!

writers don’t pay income tax

turning the English language into something lyrical

missionaries who evangelized the US and the world

preservation of western culture in the Dark Ages

they built the canals and railroads that fueled the growth of the US in the 19th century

40.png
Norwich:
Joshua, go to Kerry, whether its Dingle Bay, around the Ring or wherever, when God made the country he put his imagination into Ireland but his soul into Kerry!!
Thanks, I plan to, it’s not like it’s a million miles away, but everything in time.

40.png
FightingFat:
Any other Mayo descendants on the board?
My mom’s mom’s mom was born in County Mayo during November of 1871. Her name Catherine Marie Hunt, and she was the daughter of John Hunt and Catherine Reed.

My family is from Belfast. I do want to go to Ireland soon. All I have is a few very old pictures and one of the priest of our church is from Dublin.

FF your pictures are beautiful…I don’t know a lot about the culture…but have known an Irish priest or two… 🙂

My ancestors are Irish. My great-great grandparents on my dad’s side immigrated here. Their daughter, Celia, is who I’m named after. I would love to visit Ireland. My husband and I have decided that the first vacation we’ll take once the financial situation is straightened out will be to Europe, specifically, England and Ireland. I love their accents, I think they’re so pretty and melodical. And from what I’ve seen of pictures the country itself looks gorgeous, and the history! sigh someday…😃

i’m a descendant of mayo my family cain and o’leary come from westport and achill island

The most positive aspects of Irish culture, imo, are:

The music
The oral tradition: stories and poetry
The love of horses
The strong work ethic
Strength of character
The Irish Gaelic language
The history
The exquisite landscape
The friendliness
All the Catholics
The strong sense of Irish identity
Strong communities
The music, the music, the music!!

I forgot to mention that my ancestors are from Belfast. I have been there and loved it–it is a fascinating city and the people are fantastic. I was there in 1998 and want to return. We also went to Derry and loved it also–it’s very old and beautiful. Next trip I really want to go to Kerry, Dingle in particular and also Clare, both for the music and beautiful scenery and people. Also Sligo–Yeats country. Sigh. Maybe in a few years! :yup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back