Try to see the path the Church has taken post Vat. II:
- Dump Latin and have the Mass in the local lingo;
- Dump Gregorian chant and have cheesy hymns;
- Silence the organ and have a band in;
- Get the laity, in plain clothes, into the sanctuary;
- Let lay people handle the Host;
- Introduce ‘inclusive’ translations of the Bible;
- The priest turns his back on the symbolic East, where symbolically Christ is/was, and where the sun rises;
- The priest faces the sinners and it looks, symbolically, like he’s performing for them;
- Build bare churches and strip out existing ones;
- Put kiddy pictures and banners on the walls;
- Replace traditional, meaningful images and statues with highly stylized ones with no such connotations;
- Play down sin, Hell and damnation;
- Play up ‘Love’ (caritas?) and Mercy and play down Judgement.
Now, one or two of these taken individually might not seem significant. They won’t
all, I hope, appear together, in many churches, but a goodly number will, over time, in many churches.
The effect?: an erosion of faith.
A massive break with the past in the 1970’s and still more novelties attempted over the past twenty years e.g. CITH, EMHCs in the sanctuary, liturgical dancing.
How can a grown man take such effeminate antics seriously? And thus the Church declines.
I used to be a pop musician. Bum notes make people squirm or supress giggles. Folksy hymns and instruments have the wrong connotations for a sacred rite. I was looking around for a pious mass in my home town a couple of years ago. Walked into the church before Mass - people chatting, loudly. Not good.
There was a large crucifix well to the side of the altar, not really the focus, but maybe …
Then I saw a few teens with guitars and such, up front, to the side of the sanctuary. I made my exit.
Now, I had been to this church before, at Christmas, and was startled to hear new-age-style muzak or a hymn unknown to me being piped over the sound system during the Mass, so I wasn’t basing my assessment on just one visit. There were other churches in the town, so I found the least modernist one, and went to that.
I really, really, pray it doesn’t take some disaster to wake people up as to
how the Lord of Creation should be worshipped; on His terms, to the very best of our ability like he demanded of Moses and the Israelites, rather than passing, mundane, easy-going fashions.
Is it the case that people picture Jesus like they do Santa Claus; a kind of cartoon character and not as real as you and I? I had a notion that might be it. You can play around with the liturgy if that is what’s in the back of your mind, I suppose.