prayer before lovemaking?

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnsmith2025
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You certainly are within church teaching. I agree! My point is that church theologians have sexualized the worship of the deity just like pagans did thousands of years ago. Puritanical? To the contrary my friend!

God doesn’t want to supervise that! I like to think that God is the one who escorts us to the bedroom, tucks us in and as he walks out of the room, he slowly pulls the door closed giving a little wink of approval.
:cool:
All things work to good for him who believes. We must pray always. There is no voice no discourse whose voice is not heard. God is He in whom we live move and have our being. If then God is everywhere and in everything why should he shrink from being present when we give ourselves to each other in holy love and open the door for him to create new life? Does God who created each of us, designing us for his holy purpose need to shield his eyes as he imparts a soul to the new human life, the fruit of married love? Such a belief is blasphemous! Our all knowing, all loving God is not like men.
 
That was a sweet story in that link. Delete the extra http: to make it work, though.

TLM, I think maybe you are confusing pagan notions of sexual worship with the Catholic idea of God’s nuptial love for us.

It’s different from sexual, because it can be deeply experienced by those of us who are celibate. Theology of the Body has been very healing for me, and believe me, I don’t want to touch sex with a ten-foot pole. Nuptial love is expressed in marriage via sex, but in celibacy it involves community and deep intimacy that are not sexual or sensual or even necessarily physical.

Pagan worship was often centered on sex, but Catholic worship centers on love beyond the sex, the higher archetype that married sex points to.
 
All things work to good for him who believes. We must pray always. There is no voice no discourse whose voice is not heard. God is He in whom we live move and have our being. If then God is everywhere and in everything why should he shrink from being present when we give ourselves to each other in holy love and open the door for him to create new life? Does God who created each of us, designing us for his holy purpose need to shield his eyes as he imparts a soul to the new human life, the fruit of married love? Such a belief is blasphemous! Our all knowing, all loving God is not like men.
Of course God is everywhere. But your words suggest that God wants to watch people having sex. Not for any perverse reason of course… but he wants to watch nontheless. Who can get aroused with God “watching” anyway? I am sorry, but that thought is very odd and a little unsettling.
🤷
 
Of course God is everywhere. But your words suggest that God wants to watch people having sex. Not for any perverse reason of course… but he wants to watch nontheless. Who can get aroused with God “watching” anyway? I am sorry, but that thought is very odd and a little unsettling.
🤷
God is not like men. He does not ‘watch’. He simply is always with us. If I fly to the heavens you are there, if I go to the netherworld, still I find you there.
 
I would say He is watching, but not peeping. I feel the presence of God so strongly through the love of others, as if He is channeling His own love through them, which is exactly what He’s doing.

But He never forces Himself on us, so if you don’t want Him at the edge of your bed, I expect He won’t be there.

It has only been in the last year or so that I have come to experience God in this way. I’m sure it’s purely optional, and if you don’t want to go there, you don’t have to 😉
 
Of course God is everywhere. But your words suggest that God wants to watch people having sex. Not for any perverse reason of course… but he wants to watch nontheless. Who can get aroused with God “watching” anyway? I am sorry, but that thought is very odd and a little unsettling.
🤷
THis is extremely puritcanical. If God shuts the door during sex, then new life cannot be conceived. Again, please read the books I have listed. Your views here do not line up and is from your notion that somehow sex is bad. God created it. He doesn’t leave.
 
God is not like men. He does not ‘watch’. He simply is always with us.
You were the one who said that God shouldn’t be expected to “shield his eyes” while people are having sex. This implies that he doesn’t mind “watching”. The idea is strange and contrary to the virtue of modesty. My assessment is that he isn’t interested in watching but rather is spiritually present with us at all times. Perhaps that is what you are saying?
 
*I can’t believe you guys are arguing/debating this…seriously? God is with us–always. He created sex, and He gave the Church the wisdom to give to us, a blueprint for how we should live out our marriages, and sex lives as husbands and wives. Why is there any debate on that? :confused: There isn’t one thing we do in ‘hiding,’ for God sees it all. *
 
I usually find myself mentally praying during the act…and not of the “Oh God!” variety. Thank you, God, for my husband. I love him dearly and I want to be a good wife to him with your help. Please continue to watch over us and our marriage so that we may be brought closer to you…AMEN! 😉

I don’t see us adopting the practice anytime soon. Though DH is not bothered by prayer (agnostic) it’s compounded by me finding it unnecessary. I’m of the “The act itself is a prayer” mindset (especially since I find myself spontaneously praying during the act). Pausing while aroused to put it into audible words seems redundant. To each their own of course. It sounds beautiful and I’m happy that it brings so many of you closer to God but if I were to do it, it would be a show…forced and insincere.
 
THis is extremely puritcanical. If God shuts the door during sex, then new life cannot be conceived. Again, please read the books I have listed. Your views here do not line up and is from your notion that somehow sex is bad. God created it. He doesn’t leave.
*Exactly! I don’t see why there should be any debate after this post. 😉 🤷

The notion that God is somehow embarassed or something, He made sex…perhaps, we are the ones that could get embarassed if we are doing something that He didn’t intend sex for…so we make it sound like God isn’t "watching.’’ That’s the only thing I can think of…but, my thought is a prayer before lovemaking can be a beautiful thing…as in ‘Lord, help my husband and I to give of ourselves fully in this act, and to not put any selfish desires above You in all we do.’

As a matter of fact, that can be quite a beautiful thing!*
 
I realize this post is older, but I’d appreciate hearing more people’s viewpoints on this.
Thanks.
 
By principle, according to the natural law, the fact of praying just before the conjugal act is not a moral obligation. Per se, this attitude is fine, no problem.

But, the question is to know why do you pray? If the reason is in link with the scrupulism — a bad view on the marital sex, an only tolerable conjugal activity between wife and spouse because potential babies, the fact of refusing, by principle, the conjugal erotism for fun…etc, be careful ----. This mentality can be, day after day, very wrong for you and your couple, we are not monks, priests, nuns.

In addition, marital act is already a prayer, per se. It is an act of love, a language, a prayer, a communion, a liturgy for each spouse and for the couple. If you want to pray twice, up to you, why not? But if marital act is not already a prayer in your mind, there is a little problem. Your relation to this wonderful gift from God has to change. You need to try to change your point of view.
 
By principle, according to the natural law, the fact of praying just before the conjugal act is not a moral obligation. Per se, this attitude is fine, no problem.

But, the question is to know why do you pray? If the reason is in link with the scrupulism — a bad view on the marital sex, an only tolerable conjugal activity between wife and spouse because potential babies, the fact of refusing, by principle, the conjugal erotism for fun…etc, be careful ----. This mentality can be, day after day, very wrong for you and your couple, we are not monks, priests, nuns.

In addition, marital act is already a prayer, per se. It is an act of love, a language, a prayer, a communion, a liturgy for each spouse and for the couple. If you want to pray twice, up to you, why not? But if marital act is not already a prayer in your mind, there is a little problem. Your relation to this wonderful gift from God has to change. You need to try to change your point of view.
Questions in link with this topic:

Do we have " any catholic religious reasons " that can bore us and annoy us to make love? Which are these religious reasons and why? What are the licit or illicit reasons? And what are the valid reasons and why?

Do we have the moral right " to impose " the delay the marital act to our spouse because of our mentalities on these religious reasons? In general, like catholic lay persons, do we share the same point of view or not? In general, do we have to cope with this refusal of marital act for these reasons?

How do you manage it? How do we have to manage it?

For instance:
The marital act just before sunday mass with communion or the marital act just after sunday mass without communion? The marital act during the Holy week?..etc.
 
I can say that although my wife and I have never prayed before sex, our entire bedroom is very “catholic” with a crucifix over the bed, our lady of grace statue on the dresser, and a statue of st.michael the archangel on the night stand lol In other words, God is present. We chose the location for the crucifix because we like the idea of Christ blessing the bed in which we will conceive our children.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top