prayer before lovemaking?

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnsmith2025
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no harm or “weirdness” from this? If God created our sexuality, whats so weird? and how would you get out of the mood? Isnt having sex about your love for one another, if two married people truely love each other, there should be no reason for the “mood to be killed” from praying before having sex. Of course God is watching, God watches everything we do, this shouldnt be any different in a bad way. I think its specially important to say a prayer the very first time a married couple is about to become “one flesh”. Dont think its weird, God is glad you waited for marriage 🙂
Beautifully said 😃
 
This speaks volumes about the Catholic Church and it’s love for all of us…and it is the Holy Trinity guiding it as it guides us.
 
Hello … Recently I’ve heard that there are Catholic couples who say a prayer together before each time they make love.

Is this something that has caught on? Are there many people who do this?
I think the reason that many people find this idea strange but interesting is the fact that sex is among other things of course, one the most intense earthly pleasures known. Christianity is known for shunning earthly pleasure in exchange for eternal things.

So let me ask this in all seriousness… taking this to it’s logical conclusion, why not begin reciting the Lord’s prayer or the Hail Mary as climax approaches? Is there anybody out there that thinks that this is a good idea as well? Do you really think he wants to hear our prayers when we are doing that? I think God would prefer we pay attention to our spouse… and thank him later… perhaps bright and early in the morning.
😉

One of the things I like to include in my daily prayers is my thankfulness for my wife and all of the good things she has brought into my life. Intimacy with God is the “eternal joy” we should all be seeking. Sexual pleasure of lovemaking is a “earthly joy”. We should be thankful to God for both, but mixing them violates a sensible boundary and seems more than a little bit creepy.
:cool:
 
I think the reason that many people find this idea strange but interesting is the fact that sex is among other things of course, one the most intense earthly pleasures known. Christianity is known for shunning earthly pleasure in exchange for eternal things.

So let me ask this in all seriousness… taking this to it’s logical conclusion, why not begin reciting the Lord’s prayer or the Hail Mary as climax approaches? Is there anybody out there that thinks that this is a good idea as well? Do you really think he wants to hear our prayers when we are doing that? I think God would prefer we pay attention to our spouse… and thank him later… perhaps bright and early in the morning.
😉

One of the things I like to include in my daily prayers is my thankfulness for my wife and all of the good things she has brought into my life. Intimacy with God is the “eternal joy” we should all be seeking. Sexual pleasure of lovemaking is a “earthly joy”. We should be thankful to God for both, but mixing them violates a sensible boundary and seems more than a little bit creepy.
:cool:
This is heresy.

Sex is not just an earthly joy. Sexual union is an icon that points us to the eternal trinitarian exhcange of love. It does not violate any boundary. In fact, leaving God out of the sexual union is the violation.
 
This is heresy.

Sex is not just an earthly joy. Sexual union is an icon that points us to the eternal trinitarian exhcange of love. It does not violate any boundary. In fact, leaving God out of the sexual union is the violation.
One can have the deepest appreciation for the Trinity and the love that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit share without ever having a single sexual experience.

Leaving God out of the sexual union??? I’m sorry, but this “sexualization” of our relationship with God is a highly inappropriate and strangely obsessive overreaction of well meaning but misguided theologians in response to the tragic sexual revolution that has occurred over the last 40 years.

I never said that sex was exclusively an “earthly” joy. Sex was God’s idea for our deepest expression of love, intimacy, and procreation. The pleasure was his gift to be savored to the last drop. If you have any doubt, read the Song of Songs. We need to be thankful indeed for this incredible gift! But sexualizing our relationship with God is simply way out of line!
🤷
 
One can have the deepest appreciation for the Trinity and the love that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit share without ever having a single sexual experience.

Leaving God out of the sexual union??? I’m sorry, but this “sexualization” of our relationship with God is a highly inappropriate and strangely obsessive overreaction of well meaning but misguided theologians in response to the tragic sexual revolution that has occurred over the last 40 years.

I never said that sex was exclusively an “earthly” joy. Sex was God’s idea for our deepest expression of love, intimacy, and procreation. The pleasure was his gift to be savored to the last drop. If you have any doubt, read the Song of Songs. We need to be thankful indeed for this incredible gift! But sexualizing our relationship with God is simply way out of line!
🤷
I’m not talking about sexualizing our relationship with God, nor did I ever even hint at that.

I’m very well versed in theology of the body and I know the song of songs. But you did say it was an earthly joy while God is eternal joy. That is implying it is seperate which it is not.

Praying during sex is not sexualizing our relationship with God. IN fact, sex is an act of worship…it is a renewal of the sacrament. It brings grace. God is very much there as he creates new life.
 
I’m not talking about sexualizing our relationship with God, nor did I ever even hint at that.

I’m very well versed in theology of the body and I know the song of songs. But you did say it was an earthly joy while God is eternal joy. That is implying it is seperate which it is not.

Praying during sex is not sexualizing our relationship with God. IN fact, sex is an act of worship…it is a renewal of the sacrament. It brings grace. God is very much there as he creates new life.
With all due respect, your reply is huge contradiction. This most certainly does sexualize the relationship between man and God and it’s wrong no matter how good the intent.

Pagans wrote the book on ritualized sex as an act of worship many millennia ago. … I truly think it is an abomination to worship the true God in the way of the Pagan. Scripture forbids it.

Getting back to the original topic, if a husband and wife wish to pray for God to bless them with a new baby before making love, or just thank Him for allowing them to be together, I think that’s beautiful and quite appropriate. But it’s just a little too creepy to invite God to sit on the edge of the bed. God doesn’t want to sit there anymore than any normal healthy father would want to be in the room when their child is having intercourse.

All loving relationships that are functioning properly have boundaries.
:cool:
 
With all due respect, your reply is huge contradiction. This most certainly does sexualize the relationship between man and God and it’s wrong no matter how good the intent.

Pagans wrote the book on ritualized sex as an act of worship many millennia ago. … I truly think it is an abomination to worship the true God in the way of the Pagan. Scripture forbids it.

Getting back to the original topic, if a husband and wife wish to pray for God to bless them with a new baby before making love, or just thank Him for allowing them to be together, I think that’s beautiful and quite appropriate. But it’s just a little too creepy to invite God to sit on the edge of the bed. God doesn’t want to sit there anymore than any normal healthy father would want to be in the room when their child is having intercourse.

All loving relationships that are functioning properly have boundaries.
:cool:
Actually, you are the one making the contradiction.

God HAS to be sitting on the edge of the bed because he is the one that makes the conception of a new child happen. He is there. You are keeping puritanical attitudes by excluding him from the equation. It is NOT sexualizing the relationship between God and man. The sexual union is an icon that points us to the heavenly marriage of the Lamb. It is our call to communion.
 
sex is an act of worship…
Where is that in scripture? Where in the world did Jesus say that?

Did you know that the word “orgy” itself comes from the Greek word “orgia” meaning “secret worship”? Pagan “secret worship” centered around sexual rituals. Ancient Greece worshipped Dionysus, Thesmophoria, Aphrodite, and Elaphebolia. In ancient Rome there was Bacchus, Floralia. Roman phallic gods included Tutunus, Mutinus Titinus and Priapus. Most of these gods were worshipped through ritualistic sex acts.

I am in no way suggesting that married couples who pray before making love are doing anything wrong. In fact, we are to do everything for the glory of God and prayerfully thank God for all of the good things he has given us. However, we need to be very careful about what we consider to be an act of worship.
:eek:
 
Where is that in scripture? Where in the world did Jesus say that?

Did you know that the word “orgy” itself comes from the Greek word “orgia” meaning “secret worship”? Pagan “secret worship” centered around sexual rituals. Ancient Greece worshipped Dionysus, Thesmophoria, Aphrodite, and Elaphebolia. In ancient Rome there was Bacchus, Floralia. Roman phallic gods included Tutunus, Mutinus Titinus and Priapus. Most of these gods were worshipped through ritualistic sex acts.

I am in no way suggesting that married couples who pray before making love are doing anything wrong. In fact, we are to do everything for the glory of God and prayerfully thank God for all of the good things he has given us. However, we need to be very careful about what we consider to be an act of worship.
:eek:
Just because satan has taken something good and made it perverse does not change the initial good in an act. The gay pride movement has used a rainbow as a symbol. That does not make the rainbow itself bad, or change the meaning of the rainbow given to us with Noah. Satanists/pagans also have black masses…to mimic the real mass…because they know its power.

Your views are still puritanical. Sexual union is the renewal of marriage vows. It is an act of worship…imaging the trinity that brings forth new life. Please read TOB, and Holy Sex by Popcak.

From the catechism:
1640 Thus the marriage bond has been established by God himself in such a way that a marriage concluded and consummated between baptized persons can never be dissolved. This bond, which results from the free human act of the spouses and their consummation of the marriage, is a reality, henceforth irrevocable, and gives rise to a covenant guaranteed by God’s fidelity. The Church does not have the power to contravene this disposition of divine wisdom.146
1643 "Conjugal love involves a totality, in which all the elements of the person enter - appeal of the body and instinct, power of feeling and affectivity, aspiration of the spirit and of will. It aims at a deeply personal unity, a unity that, beyond union in one flesh, leads to forming one heart and soul; it demands indissolubility and faithfulness in definitive mutual giving; and it is open to fertility. In a word it is a question of the normal characteristics of all natural conjugal love, but with a new significance which not only purifies and strengthens them, but raises them to the extent of making them the expression of specifically Christian values."152
1644 The love of the spouses requires, of its very nature, the unity and indissolubility of the spouses’ community of persons, which embraces their entire life: "so they are no longer two, but one flesh."153 They "are called to grow continually in their communion through day-to-day fidelity to their marriage promise of total mutual self-giving."154 **This human communion is confirmed, purified, and completed by communion in Jesus Christ, **given through the sacrament of Matrimony. It is deepened by lives of the common faith and by the Eucharist received together.
 
Sex is a sacred act that is to be shared within marriage indeed. It is a gift from God. But to practice it as an “act of worship” smacks of paganism. We are not supposed to be worshipping in their ways no matter how well catholic theologians polish it up.

*“Do not bow down before their gods or worship them or follow their practices.” *Exodus 23:24

:eek:
 
Sex is a sacred act that is to be shared within marriage indeed. It is a gift from God. But to practice it as an “act of worship” smacks of paganism. We are not supposed to be worshipping in their ways no matter how well catholic theologians polish it up.

"Do not bow down before their gods or worship them or follow their practices." Exodus 23:24

:eek:
Then I suppose we shouldn’t have masses either, because pagans have those too. or did you miss that I said that earlier?

pagans take what is good and twist it. That is no need to stop doing the good. You are not making sense here, what I am speaking is what the church believes.
 
Then I suppose we shouldn’t have masses either, because pagans have those too. or did you miss that I said that earlier?

pagans take what is good and twist it. That is no need to stop doing the good. You are not making sense here, what I am speaking is what the church believes.
Biblically speaking that’s correct. But let’s not de-rail the thread. This isn’t about “twisting” good things into bad. The Bible doesn’t say it’s okay to take pagan worship practices and “christianize” them. Pagans commonly worshipped their gods through sexual rituals. The Bible says we are not to worship in the their ways… period! (Exodus 23:24). There is no excuse for it.

We may just have to agree to disagree.
😉
 
Biblically speaking that’s correct. But let’s not de-rail the thread. This isn’t about “twisting” good things into bad. The Bible doesn’t say it’s okay to take pagan worship practices and “christianize” them. Pagans commonly worshipped their gods through sexual rituals. The Bible says we are not to worship in the their ways… period! (Exodus 23:24). There is no excuse for it.

We may just have to agree to disagree.
😉
And again, then we shouldn’t have a mass…,because pagans have black masses.

This is about twisting what is good. Its not taking pagain worship and making it Christianized, what happened is the other way around. It IS good, and pagans twisted. the Good came first, not the other way around. We can’t cease doing what is good just because it is mocked.

Pleaes please read Holy Sex and Love and responsibility. in fact, JPII says this himself in Love and responsibility.
Conjugal life becomes … liturgical" when the “language of the body” becomes the means to encounter, through an experience of the sacred, what God had willed for the world and for humanity “from the beginning.” The sexual gift of self, freely offered and freely received within the covenant of marriage, becomes a way to sanctify the world .
 
And again, then we shouldn’t have a mass…,because pagans have black masses.

Its not taking pagain worship and making it Christianized, what happened is the other way around. It IS good, and pagans twisted. the Good came first, not the other way around.
Since you continue to reference the Mass, I must ask you a question: Did you know that the practice of “theophagy” or “eating the body of God” existed long before Christ came into the world? Again, I mean no disrespect, but we really must be careful what we embrace from a theological standpoint.

We’re firmly off topic now, but the point is, out acts of worship should not be done in the way of the Pagan. Sex should not be done as an “act of worship” in any way shape or form. Do you think that God simply making a “suggestion” in Exodus 23:24?
:confused:
 
Since you continue to reference the Mass, I must ask you a question: Did you know that the practice of “theophagy” or “eating the body of God” existed long before Christ came into the world? Again, I mean no disrespect, but we really must be careful what we embrace from a theological standpoint.

We’re firmly off topic now, but the point is, out acts of worship should not be done in the way of the Pagan. Sex should not be done as an “act of worship” in any way shape or form. Do you think that God simply making a “suggestion” in Exodus 23:24?
:confused:
This isn’t way off topic. In fact, you refuse to logically address anything that I have said. The one scripture verse does not prove what I’m saying wrong. In fact, I have given points and quotes and references that prove what I’m saying is in line with Church teaching.

The black mass is a mockery of the Catholic mass. By your logic, we should not have masses. This of course is incorrect, so your line of thinking does not hold up here. I’ve quoted John paul and the catechism…I am in line with church teaching.

Your thinking is puritanical… Sex is not unholy or bad or wrong or dirty. It is the means of renewing the sacramental marriage vows and God is a part of it bringing new life into the world. You saying that God “can’t sit on the bed” during a sexual union is absolutely out of line with church teaching.
 
You know, before I was married, I might have thought praying before sex was a bit creepy. But then I married a man who believed that my body belonged to him, whether I was interested or not. To the extent that he could emotionally abuse me all day, and then chastise me if I didn’t want sex.

Now I look back, and I think how much of his lust I would have been protected from if we prayed first, because he wouldn’t have had the nerve to rape me if he acknowledged that God was sitting on the edge of the bed.

A lot of the Church’s teachings on sex within marriage probably seem weird and too much interference to those of you with good marriages. I look at them and wish I had been Catholic and could have been protected by these rules when I needed them. It was humiliating to know that my husband could use me, and because of ABC not even have the “fear” of a baby to stop him. And that he could insist do things I found disgusting, because “the marriage bed is undefiled, so anything goes.”

If God ever calls me to sacramental marriage, you bet we’ll be praying before sex!
 
I’d like to share this beautiful story that came out in one of the big newspapers in my country, ***Philippine Daily Inquirer ***(front page)–I found it also on the internet titled, **“Son’s pride in father, sex, rosary” **

You can see it here:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20080615-142770/Sons-pride-in-father-sex-rosary

(If you can’t open the site…perhaps you can search for it on the web…just give the title and the newspaper where it came from.)

Its a true to life story related to your topic. Its a nice story for married and soon to be married couples too…about love, faith and sacrifice. 🙂
 
This isn’t way off topic. In fact, you refuse to logically address anything that I have said. The one scripture verse does not prove what I’m saying wrong. In fact, I have given points and quotes and references that prove what I’m saying is in line with Church teaching.

The black mass is a mockery of the Catholic mass. By your logic, we should not have masses. This of course is incorrect, so your line of thinking does not hold up here. I’ve quoted John paul and the catechism…I am in line with church teaching.

Your thinking is puritanical… Sex is not unholy or bad or wrong or dirty. It is the means of renewing the sacramental marriage vows and God is a part of it bringing new life into the world. You saying that God “can’t sit on the bed” during a sexual union is absolutely out of line with church teaching.
You certainly are within church teaching. I agree! My point is that church theologians have sexualized the worship of the deity just like pagans did thousands of years ago. Puritanical? To the contrary my friend!

God doesn’t want to supervise that! I like to think that God is the one who escorts us to the bedroom, tucks us in and as he walks out of the room, he slowly pulls the door closed giving a little wink of approval.
:cool:
 
You know, before I was married, I might have thought praying before sex was a bit creepy. But then I married a man who believed that my body belonged to him, whether I was interested or not. To the extent that he could emotionally abuse me all day, and then chastise me if I didn’t want sex.

Now I look back, and I think how much of his lust I would have been protected from if we prayed first, because he wouldn’t have had the nerve to rape me if he acknowledged that God was sitting on the edge of the bed.

A lot of the Church’s teachings on sex within marriage probably seem weird and too much interference to those of you with good marriages. I look at them and wish I had been Catholic and could have been protected by these rules when I needed them. It was humiliating to know that my husband could use me, and because of ABC not even have the “fear” of a baby to stop him. And that he could insist do things I found disgusting, because “the marriage bed is undefiled, so anything goes.”

If God ever calls me to sacramental marriage, you bet we’ll be praying before sex!
It sounds like you married an immature, insensitive jerk. It’s likely that his sexual identity and formation was heavily influenced by the pornographic culture in which we live. Sadly this scenario repeats itself in millions of marriages every day. … God Bless you dear lady.

God help us all.

:cool:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top