M
MysticMissMisty
Guest
Salvete, omnes!
Is it proper to pray for evil? When I say “evil”, I mean “bad things happening”.
Specifically, I wonder, if someone is sinning and especially knowingly so, is it appropriate to pray for evil to come upon their lives either as a punishment or as a warning for them to turn away from that evil, especially if speaking to them about it hasn’t worked.
Would this be any different when it comes to praying for a non-Christian person?
Or, rather, should we ultimately leave when to punish/warn up to God and, instead, actually pray fro good to come into a person’s life always, despite their sin? After all, it seems that, in the Scriptures, God very often does good even to the most evil of people because of His incredible Love for them.
Indeed, I cannot think of any examples of saints (big and little s) praying for evil to come on a person because of their sin, though maybe I’m just missing something. Rather, I see more examples of saints interceding for God’s Mercy when He was originally going to “stick it to them” with the result that He often, if not always, relented. I don’t know if I recall any situation where the situation was the other way around, where a person doing evil was living a good life and a saint prayed that he might suffer evil in his life for punishment and/or reward.
I am rarely if ever inclined myself to pray for evil to come into someone’s life, even for the purpose of punishment/correction. I am far more likely to pray, still, for God’s Goodness in blessing to come upon them, sinfl as they may be, again, thinking of the verses that seem to indicate that He even blesses the worst of men and considering that I don’t see many examples of doing the opposite. Am I misguided in this method of praying? Is it ever appropriate, and, indeed, preferred or even required, that I should pray for evil to come on a person rather than good, particularly if they are obstinately sinning?
Gratias plurimas.
Is it proper to pray for evil? When I say “evil”, I mean “bad things happening”.
Specifically, I wonder, if someone is sinning and especially knowingly so, is it appropriate to pray for evil to come upon their lives either as a punishment or as a warning for them to turn away from that evil, especially if speaking to them about it hasn’t worked.
Would this be any different when it comes to praying for a non-Christian person?
Or, rather, should we ultimately leave when to punish/warn up to God and, instead, actually pray fro good to come into a person’s life always, despite their sin? After all, it seems that, in the Scriptures, God very often does good even to the most evil of people because of His incredible Love for them.
Indeed, I cannot think of any examples of saints (big and little s) praying for evil to come on a person because of their sin, though maybe I’m just missing something. Rather, I see more examples of saints interceding for God’s Mercy when He was originally going to “stick it to them” with the result that He often, if not always, relented. I don’t know if I recall any situation where the situation was the other way around, where a person doing evil was living a good life and a saint prayed that he might suffer evil in his life for punishment and/or reward.
I am rarely if ever inclined myself to pray for evil to come into someone’s life, even for the purpose of punishment/correction. I am far more likely to pray, still, for God’s Goodness in blessing to come upon them, sinfl as they may be, again, thinking of the verses that seem to indicate that He even blesses the worst of men and considering that I don’t see many examples of doing the opposite. Am I misguided in this method of praying? Is it ever appropriate, and, indeed, preferred or even required, that I should pray for evil to come on a person rather than good, particularly if they are obstinately sinning?
Gratias plurimas.